Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Duuuuude.

The pics of the kid definitely make it look like multiple bites - his entire face is wrecked, and even though he's small, there's no way one bite could have done that.

I'm also going off the story that said the bone was near the dog - if the dog was actively chewing on it, then that's different, although I still don't think warrants as bad an attack as what happened.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Big Dog

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between a dog that bites once, realizes what he's doing and stopping over one who bites multiple times and mauls a child that way.

3:3:0 cats - 1:1:7 snakes - 3:4:2 lizards - 2:3:7 tarantulas
1:1:0 ferrets - 2:2:0 turtles - 0:0:2 scorpions - 0:0:1 frog - 0:1:0 degu
Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 PM
orange iguanas.

Sooo I didn't read the whole thread, or even the whole article, but regardless of breed I think any dog that would do that should be PTS. That's not just a bite.

I don't get the petition. There are plenty of innocent dogs without bite histories being euthanized every day. Make an effort to save those.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM
I'm All Ears

Most dogs aren't going to bite the way that dog did. I don't think the kid picking up the bone is an excuse at all. Most resource guarders are going to growl or warning snap, not mess up a kid's face like that. I wouldn't care if it was a golden or a poodle or whatever other breed, I'd feel the same way.

I do agree it sounds like adults failed miserably in managing the situation but that doesn't make the dog safe.

Yes, there are plenty of other dogs out there that need to be saved. It would be awesome if the $5600 went to save them... But I guess they don't have as much of a story for the public to latch on to.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
But I guess they don't have as much of a story for the public to latch on to.
Exactly.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Top Dog

If the lawyer's working pro bono, exactly what is the Lexus Project doing with the $5,600 being held in trust for the dog?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilliesMom View Post
If the lawyer's working pro bono, exactly what is the Lexus Project doing with the $5,600 being held in trust for the dog?
I also wondered this... they should donate it to the boys family to help cover their costs.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
I also wondered this... they should donate it to the boys family to help cover their costs.
See, I would much rather see that money donated to rescue--the boy's parents allowed him to wonder onto someone else's property and he got hurt-the parents should be covering the cost of their own mistake. I'm very sad that the boy had this happen to him-I was bitten in face as a child and it was awful.

That having been said, I think the dog needs to be put down-that is a lot of damage over a bone. The dog could have delivered a much less severe warning, and I think the fact that he went straight to multiple bites speaks to instability.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Most dogs aren't going to bite the way that dog did. I don't think the kid picking up the bone is an excuse at all. Most resource guarders are going to growl or warning snap, not mess up a kid's face like that. I wouldn't care if it was a golden or a poodle or whatever other breed, I'd feel the same way.

I do agree it sounds like adults failed miserably in managing the situation but that doesn't make the dog safe.
This, exactly. I am not one who thinks every bite needs to mean a death sentence for the dog, but that is not a "bite". It is multiple bites with enough force to fracture the eye socket. My childhood dog was a resource guarder who would bite over things like that. I think in 15 years he punctured twice.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
See, I would much rather see that money donated to rescue--the boy's parents allowed him to wonder onto someone else's property and he got hurt-the parents should be covering the cost of their own mistake. I'm very sad that the boy had this happen to him-I was bitten in face as a child and it was awful.

That having been said, I think the dog needs to be put down-that is a lot of damage over a bone. The dog could have delivered a much less severe warning, and I think the fact that he went straight to multiple bites speaks to instability.
I didn't think it was his parents watching him.. a babysitter I thought I read? Grandmother?