Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Big Dog

"My friend tried to put tape on Lotta's snout and Lotta didn't like that. Lotta tried to take the tape off with her paw but my friend didn't think Lotta would learn anything that way." My friend meant that this way didn't seem suitable for Lotta. My friend just tried that again and Lotta did this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
The point of using the tape is that they don't like it and rub their nose...//... Unless she hates it so much that she's running away
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I've known a couple of people who used a Post-It note when tape didn't work. I don't know why one would work and the other not, but it's another option at least.
"Lotta is a Cavalier King Charles spaniel. Lotta has a small snout and there isn't much room to put something on it. Besides, it might look silly." My friend did try to touch Lotta's snout with something but she retreated. So, one cannot put anything to Lotta's snout and: "Lotta does this behavior extremely rarely."

When we are talking generally about clicker training, there are ways to teach behaviors to dogs they don't do by themselves. What about this trick then? Are there ways to teach it without touching the dog or...?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
When we are talking generally about clicker training, there are ways to teach behaviors to dogs they don't do by themselves. What about this trick then? Are there ways to teach it without touching the dog or...?
It's theoretically possible, I just don't think anyone here has done it that way so it's hard for anyone to say exactly how to do it. You'd have to teach the dog to duck his head and lift his paw in air, and those are both easy enough. The tricky part comes with shaping the dog to move that paw to their head/muzzle. With patience I'm sure it can be done.

Here is one video I found that teaches it a different way, unfortunately it doesn't show what is likely the hardest part...phasing out the hand the dog had his paw on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFgz2xIpDHI

Other videos look like the dog maybe learned the trick lying down and were essentially taught to peek under their leg and then push their head under their leg, then they were somehow transitioned to do it while sitting or standing.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
It's theoretically possible, I just don't think anyone here has done it that way so it's hard for anyone to say exactly how to do it. You'd have to teach the dog to duck his head and lift his paw in air, and those are both easy enough. The tricky part comes with shaping the dog to move that paw to their head/muzzle. With patience I'm sure it can be done.

I was going to teach Crossbone this last night by shaping it -- but then I got curious to how he'd react to the tape first. I put the tape on his nose, he pawed it off, I gave him a jackpot of treats and then he continued doing it without the tape. Mind reading dog means a failed attempt at a shaping tutorial!!

BUT! Crossbone already knows how to cross his legs when he's laying down (taught by shaping and rewarding any movement of one front leg on or over the other) so I would have started with that and increased the criteria (slowly) to him moving his paw over and putting his head near his paw - then under his paw- until reached the desired outcome.

Can't post the video right now but here's a couple pics

Dog crosses legs

Puts head near legs

Covers face

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 03-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Bodhi does this to the command "bad dog!". She does it on the floor, covers her nose and looks naughty lol.

It took ages!! I started by luring her whilst she was in a down position. I lured the treat to her wrist area. So she understood nose was coming down towards leg/wrist/paw area.

Then I lured her nose UNDER her paw/wrist area - so she had to snuffle her nose under her wrist to get the treat. You have to be quite dexterous to this and click etc!!!

Once she got the connection that I was clicking for her nose being near/under her wrist area, then we shaped the behaviour from there. Started out as nose to wrist area, and slowly shaped her covering her snout.

But she needed a lot of coaxing to realise where I wanted her nose to be.

I hope that's helpful!! Was a long process, but once she got the first bit the rest came more easily
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-16-2014, 03:53 AM
Big Dog

My friend was looking for a method where a dog is teached to do it mostly by herself like this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
....You'd have to teach the dog to duck his head and lift his paw in air, and those are both easy enough...../

/.....Here is one video I found that teaches it a different way, unfortunately it doesn't show what is likely the hardest part...phasing out the hand the dog had his paw on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFgz2xIpDHI

Other videos look like the dog maybe learned the trick lying down and were essentially taught to peek under their leg and then push their head under their leg, then they were somehow transitioned to do it while sitting or standing.
That seems to be the most suitable of ones that has been found so far. Obviously Lotta should be teached first to nod and shake. So, we need to revisit this trick. My friend needs advice for teaching shake. We are going to write about it in another thread.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

I'm home for spring break and have been trying to free shape this with Tucker. So far it's going pretty well after only three sessions, I'll try to get a video tonight or tomorrow. Tucker is at the point where he will lower his head and move his paw. Right now he mainly scratches at the ground with it so I have to try and get him to lift it more or hit his face by accident. Or maybe try and get him to poke his paw with his face. I don't, we'll see what happens.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!