Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Squishy face

Default 22 Pound Cat Traps Family

This almost reads like something from The Onion. It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing. We can make this a game. How many red flags can YOU spot?

http://www.weather.com/news/science/...amily-20140311

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Highbread Dingbat

I've seen this posted a few times over the past couple of days, but never actually read it.
Just...wow.

Clearly they aren't capable of handling the cat. Why are they insisting on keeping him?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 AM
such sights to show you

The same reason people keep dogs with serious behavior problems... I'm sure they love him despite it all.

I think it was TWAB who described a worked up cat as a "razorblade tornado." That's all I could think about when I was reading this article.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Got Floof?

Zombie cat.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Highbread Dingbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
The same reason people keep dogs with serious behavior problems... I'm sure they love him despite it all.
That wasn't my point. Keeping a pet with behavioural problems is one thing. Heck, I've got Rigby the nutcase. She may be crazy, but it's a crazy I can handle.
But this family sounds like they are not equipped to properly care for the cat.

They state the cat has a "history of violence" yet apparently the baby was left in close vicinity with the cat. Close enough that the parents were not there to immediately mitigate the situation before the tail was pulled and the "attack" ensued.
Admittedly I don't have cats or children. But IMO the child's safety is of utmost importance, and if they're not capable of keeping the child and the cat safe from each other...

I'm glad no one was seriously hurt, and I'm glad they're seeking out help for the cat. Hopefully something works out and all will be safe in their home.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfozz View Post
But this family sounds like they are not equipped to properly care for the cat.
Well, they're (allegedly) going to see a behaviorist so at least they are properly equipped to learn.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 PM
Top Dog

That cat would've been given a dirt nap a loooong time ago if it were mine.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Top Dog

Part of me says they should be charged whatever the fee is for prank calling 911 for wasting the cops' time with restraining their own small housepet.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Part of me says they should be charged whatever the fee is for prank calling 911 for wasting the cops' time with restraining their own small housepet.
Yeah it's a CAT, not a 100lb Rottweiler.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

Huh. The report I read stated that the cat had "scratched" the baby. Really, if a 22 pound cat "attacked" a baby, I suspect the child would have needed medical attention.

The same article went on to say that the cat didn't turn vicious until the father kicked it in the backside.

That being said, when we were house hunting we went to look at a house in my Mom's neighbourhood. Great area, fantastic schools, backing onto the park and the price was suspiciously in our range. The Realtor took us in and we were hit by an incredible stench, very dirty litter box. Then the Realtor said, "Uh oh, the basement door is open. They were supposed to confine their cat downstairs during showings. It's not very friendly." She looked VERY nervous. Then the cat started HOWLING. Omgosh, sounded like the cat from 'Pet Semetary'. We never did see the cat, or the rest of the house, for that matter. I had my doubts whether "not very friendly" covered it.