Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Top Dog

Default Vaccine guidelines changing... slowly but surely

A friend from another forum works at a vet hospital and said they recently changed to every 5 years instead of every 3. It's a start...

Basically, this is not "new" news as the AAHA DOI studies already state 7 years to a lifetime for DHP, and that 5 years is protective.
http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...Guidelines.pdf

Quote:
In AAHA 2011 it mentions every 5 years as acceptable. I don't remember if earlier editions stated the same. If I had to guess, they probably just switched from annual to every 3 years when a lot of other AAHA hospitals did the same. But AAHA did not set every 3 years in stone. It was a compromise, So is every 5 years. Then perhaps recently one of the owners of the hospital dug a bit deeper.

Since 5 years is still a random compromise (very safe). Most offices will stick to every 3 (or annually which is ridiculous). Some might get really brave and do it every 7-9 based on the studies. Hopefully vets will start to be open to doing it less often.

Owner and I were talking today and the bottom line for him is that the decision to vaccinate should not be a monetary one. And if we are jabbing every three years when there is a ton of evidence that this is still too often, then (in this office's case based on what they see scientifically) we are doing it for monetary gain. The vets here never ever make decisions based on what makes them the most money.

It is still not within some vets' comfort levels to do it less often, but at sone point they need to move ahead with the times (esp.annual vaccinators). Because minimum DOI is 7 years it is safe to assume every 5 is still being very cautious. Maybe they will move to every 7 years in the future.
Just thought I would pass on.

To me, it doesn't matter what AAHA says anyway, I don't really plan on vaccinating Jackson again for DHP, but for those who feel they need a 'schedule' to follow -- this is good news.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 AM
& the Muttly Crew

The improving AAHA guidelines are also excellent for anyone getting pushback from their vet regarding longer intervals between vaccinations. A good document to have on hand just in case. Good news indeed!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Top Dog

The clinic I work for is just finally embracing the 3 year schedule. Although they're still sticklers for not doing it if they feel the dog hasn't been boostered enough. Sigh.

You'd think they'd go with the AAHA guidelines at least, since it's an AAHA certified hospital, but it is like pulling teeth.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Top Dog

You know, it's not even my vet that I'm concerned with telling me when to vaccinate, but boarding kennels and dog training classes. Plenty still require yearly vaccination, with bordatella!

Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Top Dog

I've decided to do every 7 years on my own dogs for now - previously I had decided on every 5, and Gavroche would have been due next year. By the time 7 years comes around I may switch to 9 years or more. My vet is awesome and lets me do what I want without pushing vaccines. I also have stopped doing bordatella vaccines completely.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
You know, it's not even my vet that I'm concerned with telling me when to vaccinate, but boarding kennels and dog training classes. Plenty still require yearly vaccination, with bordatella!
This! I don't care what my vets opinion is on vaccines, they can't force me to vaccinate. But it sucks that many places we bring our dogs require it. Thankfully, both my groomer and training facility have never asked about vaccines. And we don't need boarding.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-04-2013, 02:57 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Yup. That is what really annoys me. I do rabies every three years (as required by law) and distemper every 3-5. Lepto is annual, and I don't want to give bordetella...but it seems like every single place that does anything dog requires a bordetella vaccine. Boo.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 AM
orange iguanas.

I keep coming back to this and feeling like I need to print it out to show my boss. We still vaccinate for distemper annually. She's always saying she wants us to give our input more, somehow I don't think THIS is the kind of thing she wants our input on, but maybe it's worth trying

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Thread Killer

I'm a terrible dog mom in some ways, and haven't taken Jaeger for a regular checkup in a couple years because my old vet insisted on a bunch of vaccine boosters on a yearly basis, and I sended up caving, but then I could tell he didn't feel well for a day or two afterward.

I don't go to the doctor unless I'm sick or injured, I don't see why he should have to.

He is due for a rabies booster in a couple weeks. Are there titers I can have my new vet run to see what boosters he actually needs?

I like a bit of mongrel myself, whether it's a man or a dog; they're the best for everyday. ~George Bernard Shaw

Jaeger, Baelfire Mo, Lana, Kiki, Duff
Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfPets View Post
He is due for a rabies booster in a couple weeks. Are there titers I can have my new vet run to see what boosters he actually needs?
Most places require rabies vaccines on a regular basis by law, and titres aren't accepted. Check your local laws, though.

For distemper/parvo, though, you can do titres.