Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I agree that as long as your dog doesn't seem to mind having their mouth handled, it's usually not too bad. Payton arrived not really being thrilled with having me look at his teeth, but I kept at it until he was comfortable with it (it was kinda really important given he was intended to be a confo dog.) Pepper and Auggie both had their mouths handled by Auggie's breeder so no problems there.

If you ask Auggie if he wants to have his teeth brushed he'll go running to the bathroom in excitement. I was really good about it when he was younger but slowly started to get out of the habit. We use the peanut butter enzymatic toothpaste, or if I want to disinfect (like after Auggie eats poop) I use baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.

Payton and Pepper are less thrilled about it but they will both quite politely sit and let me both scale their teeth and brush 'em. I would try some PB or chicken flavoured toothpaste first and see how that goes.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I don't brush my dogs teeth.

They have not needed dentals either...Marley was 13 1/2. Ivy is almost 5...teeth are still great.
That's what I forgot to include- I've never had a dog need a dental, either. Our Sibe/GSD lived to be 17 and Mick 15 1/2.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

IMO ifnyour dog likes the taste of the toothpaste enough, and you don't traumatize him the first time you brush, you'll be set. So try a couple of toothpastes and make sure he likes it before you try brushing. My crew prefers CET. I don't notice a big change in enthusiasm with Tucker if I use a different brand, but my cat Neko goes NUTS for CET but is only mildly interested in Petrodex and will walk away in the middle of brushing.

I can't brush my aunt and uncles dogs teeth because she would always get her teeth brushed at the groomers which was a very bad experience for her. She probably would have been okay if introduced gradually, she loves food afterall and that's what toothpaste is. But now if I let her sniff the paste she actually gags and recoils, then runs away, it's the most visceral response to smell I've ever seen in a dog.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

Agree on the toothpaste, too. Jackson definitely has a preference for the CET beef and chicken flavored ones. I have vanilla now, because it makes his breath smell better, but he shys away from it a lot more.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Thread Killer

I only brush Jaeger's teeth about once a month. He doesn't like it or hate/fight it. He has lots of bones and other chews and is mostly fed kibble, so the tartar build up isn't severe. The vet hasn't said anything negative about his teeth needing a cleaning.

I like a bit of mongrel myself, whether it's a man or a dog; they're the best for everyday. ~George Bernard Shaw

Jaeger, Baelfire Mo, Lana, Kiki, Duff
Old 03-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Top Dog

Brushing teeth is one of my huge pet peeves. Most dogs can learn to tolerate it. It is cheap. It takes 30 seconds. It has a huge impact on the pet's health. So... why not?

I brush both dogs' teeth every evening before bed. It's a routine so I never forget. If I don't do it I feel like something is wrong. The dogs get a healthy treat after so they are more than happy to have it done.

If I go away and leave them at a kennel, my biggest OCD is that they are going a whole week without having their teeth brushed. I make sure to send dental chews and their Healthy Mouth. Doesn't totally alleviate my OCD but it helps.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Brushing teeth is one of my huge pet peeves. Most dogs can learn to tolerate it. It is cheap. It takes 30 seconds. It has a huge impact on the pet's health. So... why not?

I brush both dogs' teeth every evening before bed. It's a routine so I never forget. If I don't do it I feel like something is wrong. The dogs get a healthy treat after so they are more than happy to have it done.

If I go away and leave them at a kennel, my biggest OCD is that they are going a whole week without having their teeth brushed. I make sure to send dental chews and their Healthy Mouth. Doesn't totally alleviate my OCD but it helps.

Yeah, this^

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 PM
orange iguanas.

Juno luckily doesn't seem to accumulate anything on her teeth. I'm very unpredictable with my brushing. Sometimes I'll do it every night, sometimes I do it once every few weeks... but they're still white, gums still look good, breath is still odorless. So I'm happy.

Lucy does not do so well with this routine and is starting to get dog breath again.

It's a hard routine for me to get into. I mean I think to myself, if I can remember to brush my teeth every night, why can't I remember to brush theirs... but unless I think of it when I'm by their toothpaste, it doesn't happen.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Big Dog

We brush the teeth of the little dog with the underbite. The other 5 have clean lovely teeth. Heck one of them is 10 and she's got really clean teeth.

Maybe it's the raw? I tend to feed big hunks of pork most of the time.

Our vet's even been like "looks great! keep doing what you are doing...you feed whole raw, right?"
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Puppy Dog

I use a water additive. Several companies make them- Arm & Hammer, Nylabone etc. It goes in with her fresh water every morning. I have also read that dogs that are fed a grain free diet arent as likely to have a plaque problem as carbs are one of the culprits in the accumulation of plaque.