Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Ugh I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to avoid taking her to pet stores because some people can't control their children. Now that you know how you might handle the situation should it present itself again I think you will be fine taking her again.

This kind of reminds me a little bit of when Noludoru came to visit and we went hiking. We just took Joey and Cricket. When we were finishing up out hike we ended up back near the visitor center. Both Cricket and Joey are kid friendly thankfully and both were completely under control on leash. This little kid pretty much comes running straight to us. Nolu says to the parents something along the lines of it not being a good idea to let their little kid run up to strange dogs like that because not all dogs are kid friendly. The mom got mad and said, "well you might want to control your dogs better." First off, my dogs were under control and luckily we didn't have Bamm with us because he would have been uncomfortable having a kid run up to him. Second, we were on a leisurely walk with behaved leashed dogs and it's not our job to make sure her kid doesn't run up to us. Stupid parents really make me mad. Sorry to rant.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 03-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
Ugh I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to avoid taking her to pet stores because some people can't control their children. Now that you know how you might handle the situation should it present itself again I think you will be fine taking her again.

This kind of reminds me a little bit of when Noludoru came to visit and we went hiking. We just took Joey and Cricket. When we were finishing up out hike we ended up back near the visitor center. Both Cricket and Joey are kid friendly thankfully and both were completely under control on leash. This little kid pretty much comes running straight to us. Nolu says to the parents something along the lines of it not being a good idea to let their little kid run up to strange dogs like that because not all dogs are kid friendly. The mom got mad and said, "well you might want to control your dogs better." First off, my dogs were under control and luckily we didn't have Bamm with us because he would have been uncomfortable having a kid run up to him. Second, we were on a leisurely walk with behaved leashed dogs and it's not our job to make sure her kid doesn't run up to us. Stupid parents really make me mad. Sorry to rant.
You're not doing this story justice. The kid was 100' away from his parents, running, wouldn't stop when I told him to, and I was super polite to mom when I told her not all dogs are friendly and to please ask before letting her kid run up. She started yelling at us about controlling the dogs better, and I think I told her it sounded like she wanted her kids to be bitten. Then she started shrieking about our "vicious dogs."

Yes. Joey and Cricket are vicious monsters SLAVERING FOR YOUR CHILD'S BLOOD. Your parenting is CLEARLY NOT THE PROBLEM.

I wonder what that lady (or Laur's lady) would say if their kid ran up to a coyote and got killed. Sue the county because the coyotes are loose and should be friendly?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
If seven Giants charged and attempted to surround me, I'd probably holler. Mia probably handled it better than I would have.
That is very true! Made me chuckle a bit.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
I really dislike children who run around with no discipline. If my dogs acted like that it would be a problem, so why do we (as in society) allow it from parents with children. Wish I had the luxury of being able to growl and snap at little kids.
Do it. Obviously the parents have taught their kids anything and it seems to be up to the members of society to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
..what a pussy.

lol I have no other commentary.
lol.

Laurelin - i'm glad you're feeling better about the whole situation. Hudson loves people, like throws himself on the ground and wiggles, loves people, but if a bunch of unruly kids came running up to him, I'm sure he would have barked.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Maybe I should just not let people pet either of them while I have both. I'm not sure. It seems like people can't follow directions and only pet Summer like I tell them to.
I, too, had a learning curve communicating with others about interacting with my dogs. Adults can handle more complex directions than kids.

If you have seen that kids can't follow "only pet this one" then change your directions to no petting. Maybe adults can follow your 'this one, not that one' direction. I've found a helpful direction to be "one hand only." So far, this prevents picking up the kyoot wittle puppydog.

I changed directions from letting the neighbor kids pet to, "you can give them a treat." If they deviate from my instructions, the dogs leave.