Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Boston! Great public transportation, very liberal, lots to do, lots of dog training places in the area, hiking places, and then you'd live near me, yaaaay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Those in Boston - how far away would someone have to live to find a house on 0.5+acre for less than 500k?
More than doable within 10-20 miles.. You may want to live in a town close to a public transport hub if you plan on working in Boston, way easier than driving into the city if you have a normal 9-5 M-F job. In my experience, I've never been in a town in Massachusetts that you would need bars on the windows (besides some areas of the cities, of course). And maybe Brockton. Certain towns are way more expensive than others.

I have trouble with dog sports here. No lure coursing (maybe...one or two AKC events a year, between MA and CT). I looked at IPO clubs, there are not many at all, I believe there is one around Boston that always says "Membership Full". There are plenty of agility/rally/obedience training places around (compO is becoming more phased out, from what I've seen). Dock diving competitions are frequent in the summer, but there are no training clubs in Massachusetts. Probably the closest is Seacoast Dock Dogs in Maine. I've only seen Barn Hunt events in CT.

Right now I live closer to Springfield, but I have lived in Middlesex County-Douglas, Hopkinton, Framingham area. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
More than doable within 10-20 miles.. You may want to live in a town close to a public transport hub if you plan on working in Boston, way easier than driving into the city if you have a normal 9-5 M-F job. In my experience, I've never been in a town in Massachusetts that you would need bars on the windows (besides some areas of the cities, of course). And maybe Brockton. Certain towns are way more expensive than others.

I have trouble with dog sports here. No lure coursing (maybe...one or two AKC events a year, between MA and CT). I looked at IPO clubs, there are not many at all, I believe there is one around Boston that always says "Membership Full". There are plenty of agility/rally/obedience training places around (compO is becoming more phased out, from what I've seen). Dock diving competitions are frequent in the summer, but there are no training clubs in Massachusetts. Probably the closest is Seacoast Dock Dogs in Maine. I've only seen Barn Hunt events in CT.

Right now I live closer to Springfield, but I have lived in Middlesex County-Douglas, Hopkinton, Framingham area. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Yeah, Dorchester/Malden/Revere and a couple other towns on the edge of Boston can be scary, buuut I doubt you'd be looking there.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
LOL you guys are so helpful.

DH is in electrical engineering, so he's looking at tech hubs basically.

So Fran and RBark - why the discrepancy?! LOL Is it just that some types of sports are hard to find?

Those in Boston - how far away would someone have to live to find a house on 0.5+acre for less than 500k?
No idea! But I sent RBark to some places to check out for agility classes.

Dock Dogs and IPO would be the hardest to find around here but there are weekends that we could triple book ourselves within 2 hours.

Really it is a high COL area but for some sectors the salaries match that. The only thing that I chuckled at was you land wants. That's not easy to find - but I think it could be hard to find in any popular metro area.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:16 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I say Boston too Boston is awesome.
Also what crazedACD said. Traffic coming into and out of Boston during rush hour is horrible. Then again when we lived in the greater Boston area, there was the Big Dig providing problems... thats done now. ^^

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Behavior Nerd

I didn't realize how spoiled I was here in NC apparently - so much more variety in sports than a lot of places I guess - maybe because I'm between two large metro areas? Weird.

Come on Raleigh! LOL

How's the hiking in the Boston area? Cali? What seasons are hikable? I know you get snow in Boston and foxtails/snakes in Cali.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
How's the hiking in the Boston area? Cali? What seasons are hikable? I know you get snow in Boston and foxtails/snakes in Cali.
Foxtails are an issue during the dry season so typically summer. We don't have a huge issue with them when were like to go b/c it's more of shaded trails rather than open fields.

It's north of the San Jose area but we're members of the East Bay Regional Park system. http://www.ebparks.org/parks Not all of them are dog friendly but most are.

Here are a couple of other sites I've used when we want to find a place to stretch out some dog legs.
http://www.openspace.org/activities/ideas_for_dogs.asp
http://www.bahiker.com/doghikes.html
Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Got Floof?

Quote:
LOL you guys are so helpful.

DH is in electrical engineering, so he's looking at tech hubs basically.

So Fran and RBark - why the discrepancy?! LOL Is it just that some types of sports are hard to find?

No discrepancy, Franster knew more than I did about local areas to do Agility. She also sent me a bunch of excellent resources to find them, which I am super grateful for!

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13