Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
They're generally sweet dogs. I've met a few who are kind of asses, but they're overall good dogs. I know a few folks who've gotten mean-spirited CKCs and they weren't equipped to deal with them. I feel that the audience who is primarily attracted to the breed is not prepared or willing to deal with the odd behavioural issues that crop up.

Their health is pretty much just a disaster.
I have found the same...a lot are very mild, chill, happy and friendly dogs. A few I've met were very.. (pardon this description) but obnoxiously OMG OMG type dogs kind of frantic in general.

Also, on the health...I don't know if this is still relevant, but a website is maintained on MVD in cavs...
Quote:
Degenerative mitral valve disease (MVD)* is the leading cause of death of cavaliers. It is a highly-heritable, polygenetic acquired heart disease which, statistics show, afflicts over half of all cavalier King Charles spaniels by age 5 years and greater than 90% by age 10+ years, should they survive that long.
That sucks .

Old 02-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Not a Border Collie

I want a Cav so badly - my "plan" is that if I ever get up to three dogs, my third would have to be something easier going and smaller, and a Cav is at the top of my list.

I don't have extensive experience with the breed, but every one I've met has been extremely friendly, people oriented, and easy going. Just happy, happy little dogs. As others have said, the health issues are the one thing that makes me nervous about them.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
They're so, so sweet. I've never met one that didn't love everyone. But man, they can be a heartbreaker as far as health goes.
This. I would love one some day, but it's nearly impossible to find a line free from scary health issues.

They are the sweetest dogs though. They seem to think their purpose in life is to make people happy.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Allons-y!

I was looking into them a while ago, since a friend of mine had two that I absolutely adored - they are sweet, sweet dogs, very biddable and happy. The health issues made me turn away, though - mitral valve disease and syringomyelia are the major ones, I believe.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
They are the sweetest dogs though. They seem to think their purpose in life is to make people happy.
That is Summer's temperament, too. And Nard and Beau and Rose- all with varying amounts of energy. All four are very sweet, social, happy dogs.

Not saying everyone should get a papillon but in my opinion they're another option for people looking into small spaniel type personalities. They get forgotten about in the spaniel category a lot.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

The papillions I've known tend to be much higher energy by nature than the Cavs I've known. Granted, I haven't spent as much time around paps, so maybe that's incorrect? If someone like my parents were interested in getting a dog, I'd be very quick to recommend a Cavalier, but much more hesitant about a pap.

I know there are lines of Cavaliers that have zero family history of SM. The heart disease, from my understanding, is a matter of "when" (and how quickly it progresses) rather than "if".

Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
The papillions I've known tend to be much higher energy by nature than the Cavs I've known. Granted, I haven't spent as much time around paps, so maybe that's incorrect? If someone like my parents were interested in getting a dog, I'd be very quick to recommend a Cavalier, but much more hesitant about a pap.

I know there are lines of Cavaliers that have zero family history of SM. The heart disease, from my understanding, is a matter of "when" (and how quickly it progresses) rather than "if".
I would say on average that is true. I find paps a little sharper and higher in energy/more exciteable than most spaniels. That said there's a lot of variety in temperaments in papillons. Rose is super mellow. Bernard is very chill/zen too as was Harry. Beau and Summer are high energy but very happy, friendly with everyone dogs and still incredibly biddable. Summer is deceptive though- she can appear to be insanely high energy in public, especially at agility. At home she is very easy and always has been. Mia's do happen obviously in the breed but she's an extreme. Most are a lot more like a Summer, Beau, or Nard.

The main downside is size. Paps are smaller and finer boned.

Paps, English toys, and cavs are all very closely related. I think English toys are just as bad off as cavs health-wise though. English/American cockers might be another breed to look at.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
That is Summer's temperament, too. And Nard and Beau and Rose- all with varying amounts of energy. All four are very sweet, social, happy dogs.

Not saying everyone should get a papillon but in my opinion they're another option for people looking into small spaniel type personalities. They get forgotten about in the spaniel category a lot.

Totally off topic but, I see a Papillon some day in my future. I love sweet, sassy dogs with just a bit of edge. They are just too cool. I think cockers and paps would go well together.

P.S. if anyone has questions about cockers, especially American, feel free to ask. I can't say enough good things about my dog.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Might not be a popular opinion, but maybe they should be outcrossed for more genetic diversity? I understand not wanting to take an established purebred and mix it (especially of course if you're involved in showing), but it could be in the dogs' best interest.
I don't know. Just a thought.
I'd get a papillon instead, but one of the things I like about Cavaliers is their size. Plus, they have much different energy levels, lol. Usually I really like drivey, intense dogs, but if I ever am looking to get a CKSS that won't be what I'm looking for. And I'm not interested in any other spaniels. Sigh. :/
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Top Dog

Oh I love them. They are sweet, fantastic little dogs and I could imagine having a lot of fun with one, dabbling in dog sports etc.

I'm not sure how to put this without making a sweeping generalisation, but I get the impression that they suffer a little from being an 'easy' breed. Obviously, their exercise requirements are different from a sporting/herding/working dog etc, but so many I know are overweight and possibly under-exercised. I suppose you see that with a lot of smaller dogs.

I've always thought they were sweet dogs, but I saw some at a show once that just blew me away. Same sweet disposition, biddable but athletic and clever at the same time. I've seen some lovely individuals doing agility as well.

Having said that... I'd not own one currently. From a health perspective. I wonder what breed/s you could potentially outcross too.