Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default Teeth Chattering

Talon is driving me up a wall with this. I have never seen a dog do the urine tasting and teeth chattering as much as he does. How do you stop this? Will neutering help?

I don't think I'd mind as much if it wasn't for the fact he is doing it to Art every time he is separated from him. It's like he has to "confirm" it's really Art.

I don't even really mind the sniffing/licking groin thing. It's the quivering jaw, foaming lip, and darting tongue that really freak me out. We've been trying to just distract him onto something else, but he's pretty persistent. Plus, once his head is anywhere near Arts groin that it's, the chattering starts. >_< Any suggestions?
Old 02-24-2014, 02:15 AM
Big Dog

My chow is pretty bad about this too. It's worse when mine goes crotch diving...when he meets a new dog, he doesn't just sniff. He dives his head under them, literally lifting the other dog and won't come out for air until I finally tell him "enough." Ideally, I don't like to interfere in doggy business, but he seriously won't stop until I do.

Most time I just tell him enough and move him on, but keep in mind that usually we are outside and I am able to use his leash as a tool to encourage this along. It's rare he does the chattering in the house, though it does happen now that my yorkie/pom is having senior accidents every so often.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 AM
Top Dog

Gusto's stopped fairly soon after neutering.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 AM
Top Dog

Summit was neutered late... Around 3 I guess since that's when I estimate he retired. He still does this, though granted it is only to urine on the ground and is only occasional. Oh, he's done it after sniffing an in heat female's parts too. Drives me nuts but fortunately is infrequent. I have no idea if it was worse before his neuter.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 02-24-2014, 06:27 AM
Higbread Dingbat

I've noticed that Cobain still does this on occasion with Oz.
Typically he does it after they've been separated for a while, I haven't noticed it with other dogs.

From what I can remember, he was neutered as a pup, maybe 7 months old? I've heard that it's more of an issue with intact males, but I'm not entirely certain that neutering would "fix" the issue or not. There may be a way to modify the behaviour through training though?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
Talon is driving me up a wall with this. I have never seen a dog do the urine tasting and teeth chattering as much as he does. How do you stop this? Will neutering help?

I don't think I'd mind as much if it wasn't for the fact he is doing it to Art every time he is separated from him. It's like he has to "confirm" it's really Art.

I don't even really mind the sniffing/licking groin thing. It's the quivering jaw, foaming lip, and darting tongue that really freak me out. We've been trying to just distract him onto something else, but he's pretty persistent. Plus, once his head is anywhere near Arts groin that it's, the chattering starts. >_< Any suggestions?
i am not sure if neutering will stop the chattering , it will reduce hopping pretty much but chattering teeth i dont think so.
if you dont have a basic reason to neuter then i would not do it, i dont think it helps in anything besides hopping
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Muffin was a drooling, chattering fool. He also was always on a marking mission. I neutered at 2 and he has since calmed down with the chattering and marking. He still does both, just not to the same extreme.

I really think the amount is mostly based on the particular dog's personality. I wouldn't really be able to suggest anything other than consistantly redirecting him.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 AM
Big Dog

I hadn't even paid attention to this, but now that you mention it...Leo stopped teeth chattering soon after being neutered. I think he kept at it a few more days, but I haven't heard it in a long time!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:49 AM
I'm All Ears

FWIW, Mia teeth chatters a lot and she's a spayed female. She does it typically just with her nose to the wind but also after licking faces, etc. It's weird.

She has two different chatters though- one is typically either from being overstimulated or something like that (also when she's affectionate) and the other is outdoors and is slower and more teeth clacking-like.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

Yarrow was doing this a LOT before he was neutered (at about 1 1/2). He has almost stopped now, he will do it still but very very occasionally. THANKFULLY! I found it soooo annoying!