Supplements?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
What, if any supplements do you take and why?

My List:
--a prenatal vitamin-not pregnant but my doctor recommends them for women of child bearing age

--a probiotic-I've read good things about them and have no gall bladder, so I can use all the help I can get

--a joint supplement-I have joint issues-"crunchy" sounds and occasional soreness in both knees and past ankle injuries I'm trying to keep from turning into arthritis later in life

--fish oil-I don't like fish and I know it's supposed to help joints and bi-polar (which I have)

--a supplement for those that do not get enough greens in their diet-I know it's not the same as the real thing, but I truely loath veggies and a constantly looking for ways to sneak them in

SpringerLover

Things I have in my cupboard I should be taking but rarely remember to do so regularly:

Coconut Oil
Probiotic
Multivitamin
B12 complex

Things I should be taking, and used to but fell out of the routine and need to start again.

Multi vitamin, for women.
Joint supplement, knee issues as well.
Fibre, I need to take extra fibre to keep things moving ( I know tmi)
Cranberry pill, I get bladder infections easily, probably because I have a badder the size of a water buffalo (again tmi)
Oh yes I almost forgot vitamin d, I live in the dark north and get little sun in the winter so double dose of vitamin d for those 4-5 months.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
I just take B-12 (1,000 mcg) and Poly Iron (150 mg) every day. My levels in both of those categories are extremely low.

I hate taking pills. Next time I'm going to get the gummy B-12 vitamins:p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Vitamin C - I don't know how much it really helps my immune system. About the same time I started taking it, I also left radio, which means the terrible germ-sharing also went away. But my co-workers here still get sick a lot, and I don't. But I also eat well and workout regularly and try to get good sleep, so... it's really hard to attribute it to anything in particular. I still take it though.

Calcium with Vitamin D - any woman on pretty much any birth control should take a calcium supplement. So I do.

Joint meds - I have largely stopped taking these actually... my workouts have done a lot toward helping my knees no longer hurt. I only had one day this winter where my knees hurt, and considering it's been so bitterly cold (which usually hurts my knees) it's pretty impressive. BUT I still have these hanging around from when I did take them.

That's really it. I have protein powder too but I try to just get my protein from foods.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Astaxanthin + salmon oil, 2x day

Gummy calcium/vit D/magnesium

1 iron + vit C

children's gummy multivitamins

I'm also searching for a good "seameal" type green supplement, but haven't found one I like yet. Any suggestions?

Pretty much anything that can be gummy or chewable or taste delicious, I go with that instead of the gross tasting horse pills. I hate my fish oil pills because they're more than enormous and I have to choke them down, but this brand works really well on me. My hair looks a million times better than when I took the other brand. lol.

SoCrafty

Super B Complex + Biotene - I heard that it is good for your hair. I have some extreme shedding going on (longer than normal) and read it could he a B deficiency.

Vitamin E. I have HBP occasionally and have been having chest pain (I have high stress) and Vitamin E is supposed to be good for heart health.

My physician will only prescribe an SSRI for anxiety (versus taking a benzo when needed) so, since I refused an SSRI (based on side effects I had read), my prescription for anxiety was to exercise. I can't exercise because I'm anxious. So, someone on here posted that they use GABA for anxiety, and I did a lot of reading about it. I just bought some to try it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Just vitamin c for when I start feeling sick or if I'm around people who are sick. I notice a big difference with it.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Seems like I take a lot, but I try to only supplement for what needs it. Most of my supplementation is for anxiety, and has helped a lot. I eat healthy for most meals, and exercise.

- Fish oil capsules in the cold months for my skin
- A spoonful of coconut oil during my weekly hair treatment
- Cranberry extract because I'm prone to UTIs
- Ginkgo Biloba for anxiety
- Vitamin B complex because anxiety and because girl.
- Vitamin C for anxiety and immunity.
- Sometimes valerian before bed. Because... surprise, anxiety.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Currently exploring vitamins/extracts to regulate hormones and promote all the good lady type stuff as we are deciding to have small humans in the not too far off future and you need to build the levels up for a few months apparently.

As I have slightly irregular periods and terrrrrrible hormones/mood swings/pms I am now taking women's multivitamins, agnus castus extract and maca root extract.

Agnus castus is meant to sort out your progesterone levels and boost them, relieve pms symptoms. I've been taking it regularly for about a month, and they say it takes 3 before you will notice a difference. I noticed a couple of things quickly, definitely progesterone related, so fingers crossed things level out.

Maca root is meant to be pretty good all round for loads of stuff. I also give this to the other half as it's meant to be good for men and women!!! All things sexual health related ;) and as a natural energy booster, hormone regulator and general cool root!! It's actually a type of Peruvian radish, which just makes it awesome anyway lol. We have only been taking it for a week or so so far, so no major changes to report yet!!

I have begun using a flax seed mix most mornings, just mix it up with my lactose free milk lol. It's yummy, and flax seed is meant to help with ibs, but don't think I'm having it in a high enough dose. It's a seed mix blend thing, so not any one thing.

Only issue I'm having currently is my diet has gone a bit pear shaped and I'm eating a lot of baaaaaaaad foods... If I can get on top of that again I'd actually be living quite health for once!!!!

I still work out intensively twice a week, just keeps me more toned and fitter than doing nothing at all!!!

I don't do a lot of supplements. Mainly fish oil and vit D, if a cold or flu is going around maybe take some C and a muliti, but I don't take them regularly.

Overall I think it is far better to get nutrition from actual food. Not processed "health" food, but real honest to goodness food. Like you find on a plant or still readily distinguishable as coming from a living animal not too long ago :)

Lots of healthy fats, I guess you could say I "supplement" with coconut and olive oil because we don't use a vegetable oil of any sort in our house. and I add that stuff to shakes and food and even have a spoonful pretty regularly. Lots of veggies, I hate them, but I hate cancer, diabetes and heart disease more, so I suck it up. It would be better if I just eat them whole, but I put them in smoothies a lot. I'm a work in progress and lately I think i'm gaining weight faster than our new baby :D i've been extremely lazy these past 6 weeks.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I wish someone made a squirt pump style bottle of fish oil for people, like the Grizzly Salmon Oil stuff. Holy crap my dogs look amazing after being put on it. I want my hair to look that good.

I would totally just blob some into a veggie smoothie and chug it. Whatever. lol.

Does anybody know if there's something like that out there? If there is, my Google-fu has failed and I need help. Or could I just use the dog stuff? It says not for human consumption, but seriously been tempted. :rofl1:

I drink oil Carlson labs or nordiac naturals both make quality oils. Nordiac has a slightly " cleaner" taste IMO. I'm betting you could buy a pump that would screw on the bottle if need be. I'd just tip the bottle myself :) and save the he hassle.

Fish oil is one thing I'd be very picky about where I got it. My dogs get the same stuff I do as well.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I have begun using a flax seed mix most mornings, just mix it up with my lactose free milk lol. It's yummy, and flax seed is meant to help with ibs, but don't think I'm having it in a high enough dose. It's a seed mix blend thing, so not any one thing.
Are you using whole seed or ground? People's bodies have a hard time breaking down the seed coat so they might just be passing through intact if they're not ground.

You might look into chia seed. It has a huge amount of the omega 3 oils, plus people can digest the whole raw seeds so it's not a big deal if they're not ground. They're really good for blood sugar regulation and digestion type things too.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/03/chia-seed-benefits-_n_3379831.html

Romy

Taxiderpy
I drink oil Carlson labs or nordiac naturals both make quality oils. Nordiac has a slightly " cleaner" taste IMO. I'm betting you could buy a pump that would screw on the bottle if need be. I'd just tip the bottle myself :) and save the he hassle.

Fish oil is one thing I'd be very picky about where I got it. My dogs get the same stuff I do as well.
Thanks! Maybe I'll just switch everyone over to one of those then. It would make things a lot easier to only buy one thing.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Are you using whole seed or ground? People's bodies have a hard time breaking down the seed coat so they might just be passing through intact if they're not ground.

You might look into chia seed. It has a huge amount of the omega 3 oils, plus people can digest the whole raw seeds so it's not a big deal if they're not ground. They're really good for blood sugar regulation and digestion type things too.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/03/chia-seed-benefits-_n_3379831.html
Its ground. These are the ingredients:

Whey Protein Isolate, Flaxseed, Coconut flour, Pistachios, Sunflower kernels, Sesame seed, Chia seed, Pumpkin seed, Inactive Brewers Yeast, Psyllium Husk, Apple Pectin, Soya Lecithin (emulsifier), Steviol glycosides (calorie-free sweetener from the Stevia plant).

I forgot, I usually cook with coconut oil, when I use oil :)

Members online

No members online now.