Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Twin 2

Default Large, Easy Going, HEALTHY Breeds

My dad keeps asking me about larger breeds, what I know about them, how healthy they are and it seems like most he asks about (English Mastiffs, Bernese Mountain Dogs etc.) are all prone to major health issues.

So, are there any larger (60 lb and up I would say) that are relatively easy going dogs that don't require a ton of exercise, love to cuddle, that are also pretty healthy?

Not prone to DA is a must too.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

A friend of ours has a Swiss Mountain Dog...she is as laid back as they come. She's bigger than my rottweilers are. Health-wise, I don't know if they are prone to cancers or whatever.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/greater_sw..._dog/index.cfm

She is great with their kids and she's a low energy dog.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RA SPG NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Top Dog

Retired Greyhound? Some may have higher prey drive, not sure if that'd be an issue.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
A friend of ours has a Swiss Mountain Dog...she is as laid back as they come. She's bigger than my rottweilers are. Health-wise, I don't know if they are prone to cancers or whatever.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/greater_sw..._dog/index.cfm

She is great with their kids and she's a low energy dog.
Thanks! I'll look into them. Just seems like all those dogs are SO cancer prone and since loosing Kaylee and with Hannah on the down turn, both within a few months of eachother, to cancer it's something that is in the forefront of our minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Retired Greyhound? Some may have higher prey drive, not sure if that'd be an issue.
Thanks!

I'm more than likely going to be getting a grey puppy from a breeder this summer and we're going to see how my family takes to them, he's not huge on sighthounds. He's a bigger fan of big headed, big boned dogs.

Aren't retired greys rather prone to bone cancer also?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Top Dog

Anatolian Shepherd? Honestly no clue on cancers etc, but I've read lifespans of 13-15yrs.

Akita? I know they are kind of have a "bad rap" (along with the GSDs, Pits, Dobes, etc) but I would assume if you found the right breeder, it would be a better chance. Again, my apologies if I'm way off base, I'm not extremely knowledgeable when it comes to larger/giant breeds. I just know of a friend who is on her 3rd, and has always had them with little dogs, and they've been great family pets. But they are territorial with strangers and on their property, but they've always done well with her little dogs. Hers just died at 11.

I believe Boerboels are generally known for better health, as far giant breeds go, maybe ask Hayley on that one.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

Bone cancer is one of the most frequent health problems, though I'd be interested to see if it follows specific bloodlines more than others. And there are plenty of available adults, it'd be easier to match one to his lifestyle as opposed to taking a chance on a puppy's future temperament (unless he wants a puppy!).

I know not everyone is a fan of the slim and sleek look (my sister likes her dogs big and blocky!). My dad wasn't sure why i wanted the whippets, but after he met them, he fell in love. He wants Ezra now.

Btw SUPER excited for your Grey puppy.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Truth be told...any Akitas I've had in my CGC and rally classes I teach haven't been "easy going." A couple of them have been down right major ***holes.

This is from the AKC webpage -
Quote:
Although known to be a quiet dog (they are known as the "Silent Hunter" in Japan), the Akita has strong guarding instincts and will sound the alarm if an intruder breaks into their house. Akita temperament can range from calm to bouncy and aggressive, so the breed should always be supervised around small children and other animals. Akitas like to be "pack leader," so obedience training is also necessary for a harmonious household.
Good breeder or not...they can be difficult to manage for someone who isn't prepared for their temperament.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 02-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
Truth be told...any Akitas I've had in my CGC and rally classes I teach haven't been "easy going." A couple of them have been down right major ***holes.

This is from the AKC webpage -

Good breeder or not...they can be difficult to manage for someone who isn't prepared for their temperament.

True. Probably not the best for "not a lot of exercise" or "a lot of cuddling". I guess I was just thinking of healthy-ish for larger breed lol. I take back the Akita suggestion

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-21-2014, 01:50 PM

Also be aware that in the larger breeds, there is a strong link between spay and neutering before the age of at least 1 years old and osteosarcoma later in life. I think that the reason that bone cancer is so prevalent in larger breeds it it has been common place to alter larger breed puppies before a year old.

It is in my both of my puppy contracts for Lars and Ocean that neither dog is to be neutered before the age of 2. I will be really curious to see if the rates of Osteo drops now that people are more educated to the fallout of neutering larger breed dogs before they reach maturity.

2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Get that man an Old English Sheepdog, STAT!*

*as long as grooming isn't an issue, or he can take it to a groomer to be buzzed down.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.