Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:17 PM
TexasRanger's Avatar
TexasRanger TexasRanger is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SW Texas
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I think if you don't know what you need that going to a shelter and picking out a dog that fits would be a good option. When I was in Texas we had a lot of dogs of all sorts of breed types that would have fit.

We also got in a lot of herding type mixes too.
That's probably whats going to happen.

The shelters in my area don't really have that much variety. Usually its Pittie X, Lab X or GSD X. I will look when the time comes until I find the right one.
__________________
[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,566
Default

You said you went to the SA stock show? Then you must be in the San Antonio area, so am I you might want to check out San Antonio pets alive: http://www.sanantoniopetsalive.org/a...table-search/# though I would be honest about that you have a DA dog and need a dog under a year that is laid back and not dominant.

Though I don't think (unless it's purely aesthetic for you) that breed should be as important as temperament, ESP with a DA dog. Though there usually a lot of ACD and BC mixes in the shelters. www.petfinder.com is also a great site, you can search by zip code, state or city, you can also narrow your search by age, breed, type etc ...

Good luck
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRanger View Post
That's probably whats going to happen.

The shelters in my area don't really have that much variety. Usually its Pittie X, Lab X or GSD X. I will look when the time comes until I find the right one.
Try Petfinder maybe - you'll be able to see dogs from various private rescues rather than just the local shelters.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-18-2014, 02:20 PM
TexasRanger's Avatar
TexasRanger TexasRanger is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SW Texas
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
You said you went to the SA stock show? Then you must be in the San Antonio area, so am I you might want to check out San Antonio pets alive: http://www.sanantoniopetsalive.org/a...table-search/# though I would be honest about that you have a DA dog and need a dog under a year that is laid back and not dominant.

Though I don't think (unless it's purely aesthetic for you) that breed should be as important as temperament, ESP with a DA dog. Though there usually a lot of ACD and BC mixes in the shelters. www.petfinder.com is also a great site, you can search by zip code, state or city, you can also narrow your search by age, breed, type etc ...

Good luck
Thank you! Where do you live? I'm at Canyon Lake.
What is the best way to bring that up, without it sounding like I have this "killer" pit bull? He can and does get along with other dogs, I just don't want to risk an adult (Deputy and him went at it a few times, Abby (brought in at 8 weeks) has only had one fight and that was before Zane was neutered, none since).

I don't really care about breed, I just really care about size right now. I have a joint condition that is only going to get worse, so I need a dog that when he/she is full grown and something happens (injury or illness) I can pick him/her up with no problem. So that means 30 and under. Deputy is the last dog I want over 50lbs, he is so hard to pick up and since he is not always "here", it can get scary.
__________________
[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRanger View Post
Thank you! Where do you live? I'm at Canyon Lake.
What is the best way to bring that up, without it sounding like I have this "killer" pit bull? He can and does get along with other dogs, I just don't want to risk an adult (Deputy and him went at it a few times, Abby (brought in at 8 weeks) has only had one fight and that was before Zane was neutered, none since).

I don't really care about breed, I just really care about size right now. I have a joint condition that is only going to get worse, so I need a dog that when he/she is full grown and something happens (injury or illness) I can pick him/her up with no problem. So that means 30 and under. Deputy is the last dog I want over 50lbs, he is so hard to pick up and since he is not always "here", it can get scary.
I live in the Nixon area, out by luling.

Just say that, that you have a dog who is picky about his friends I would also (if your other dog isn't picky also) stick with females. Just tell them you need a easy going "submissive" (with other dogs) female under a year old. Or maybe you could foster a few dogs to see how he would do, and you would be helping a dog in need as well

Hey ... The most they can say is no, lol
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-18-2014, 03:21 PM
TexasRanger's Avatar
TexasRanger TexasRanger is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SW Texas
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I live in the Nixon area, out by luling.

Just say that, that you have a dog who is picky about his friends I would also (if your other dog isn't picky also) stick with females. Just tell them you need a easy going "submissive" (with other dogs) female under a year old. Or maybe you could foster a few dogs to see how he would do, and you would be helping a dog in need as well

Hey ... The most they can say is no, lol
I would love to foster, but our house is too small and my parents hate that idea. Both of them are not dog people and I think it would drive Zane insane (he hates dogs coming and going).

Also, do you know any good trainers or "puppy kindergartens" in the area? I live in the middle of no where and really need to find a way to train and socialize the pup. My training level is "sit, stay and come", anything beyond that I'll need help.
__________________
[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,566
Default

No I'm sorry, I don't. I have always trained my own. A google search is usually the best place to start. Are you on Facebook? I am friends with a good many trainers and dog people that might be able to help you.

Of course rescue isn't your only option, you can always go with a breeder as well, it is your choice
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site