Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Mimi demotivates easily and I have to take that in to account when working with her. Everything needs to be happy. I can't 'drill' without her getting irritated. I also can't expect her to do repetitive tasks, it isn't in her nature. If she starts trotting through the sequence as opposed to whippet speed, something's up and it's typically my fault,I've not put enough reward in whatever that particular thing is. I've noticed it more when I work on something new, like when I started training weaves, weaves were omg party! and jumping lost it's value in comparison. I didn't notice until I tried using a jump before the weaves. She'd blow the jump entirely to get to the weaves.
OMG that's my guys exactly. Jari moreso than Kimma, actually. I can only do things with him MAYBE three times before he either blows me off completely, or will like skip a jump or something. And with Kimma when we were first starting, I definitely did not put as much value in to shorter sequences so that when we went longer and longer, she would blow me off. I have learned my lesson with that, but definitely no drilling for either of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I hope I don't sound like I hate Mia. She's the best dog I've ever had. And probably the best dog I will ever have. She's something special.

I do get frustrated though because I don't know where we went wrong as far as speed goes. She's so hit or miss- either way intense or just 'lalalalala I'm not even trying!'. I am noticing it happens if we drill a lot. She gets bored. When we switch exercises to weaves or something she picks back up. She is so smart too that she will sometimes beeline for weaves or for the teeter if she sees it because she knows those areas are more likely to get her food. Maybe jumps just have decreased too much in value? She will do the jumps better if she has a target or something after them.

At home training she is about 3x faster than in class. But we do shorter sequences because of space issues.

Summer is a dog that will drill and drill and drill and just fly the whole time. It's so much easier.

I am very happy Mia is playing with toys though! my trainer was really excited she's finally playing in class well. And Mia is playing with a variety of toys vs only tennis balls. We've had icy and snowy ground here for about 2 weeks straight so my 'do weaves every day' thing didn't work so well. So we've just been playing every day. I've made it a goal to play with Mia with at least 2 non-ball toys daily and it's making such a difference!
Yay for playing!!! I need to really do something like this for Jari. That's a good idea to make it a point to play a coupe of times a day with him. He's getting to the point where he will work for a toy for the first few minutes of class/training session but then he just bails on that and goes back to food. But when he is in to the toy, he's definitely faster and obviously more engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
That's really sad.

I mean, here's the thing... I do get a little frustrated sometimes when training. Fortunately, in our class Kili is right on par with the other dogs which is very uplifting. I am so proud of her, but we absolutely struggle with certain things that come more easily to other breeds. And yes, it is a little MORE frustrating if she struggles with something because I did get her specifically with agility in mind and trialing in mind. BUT!

Big but. If I only wanted an agility dog I would have gotten a border collie. A border collie is absolutely, 100% a better suited breed to the sport. But I didn't want a border collie. I wanted a greyhound for numerous personal, non-sporting reasons. AND I wanted to do agility. When I get a little frustrated I try to really remind myself of that. She is a pet first and foremost and an agility partner second.

Sounds like this person should have been more honest about what they wanted a dog for and chosen accordingly. If she really just wants an agility dog she probably should have chosen a BC to begin with. If there was some reason why she chose this other breed then she should be more patient, have more realistic expectations, and stick it out.
Yeah I've had an acquaintance tell me during a course walk through that Kimma is a good starter dog for me, then once I'm "done with her," I can get a Sheltie and really have a good agility competition dog. Uhhhhhhh no? I like Finkies. I like living with them and working with them. I work with more biddable dogs all day, and I can honestly say that I don't think I could live with them.

If at the end of the day Kimma and Jari can't do agility, they will still be here and still be my dogs. Agility isn't my life - I just so happen to do agility with my dogs sometimes

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Vizsla mom

Laurelin- I didn't mean to imply that about you at all! Sorry if it came across that way.
Penn is a lot like Mimi. It was frustrating until I learned how to keep her motivated& stay connected. We have having way more success now than in the past. I think struggling through makes you so much more appreciative when your dog finally gets it ..or at least that's what I keep telling myself about her focus issues LOL!

Penn& I are heading 5.5hrs away for a fun run tomorrow! Could use all the good vibes ahaha
Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Aware

We played agility today! Em was a complete hooligan and ended up a disgustingly muddy mess, but Abe was awesome for me :P

With the almost seven months off, a lot of old issues seem to have come back, but I have a much better feel of where we are and how I can improve it. I mostly just wanted to have fun today, and we did!

Bonus, she hasn't seen weaves at all in those seven months and was doing six with no issue and did twelve a few times for me! Love my dumb black dog.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 02-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Slave to the Aussie

For so much time off in a new exciting place she did good!

She's fast! I can't wait to see her running a full course!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Oh and it was super fun to see Abe run with someone else! When he's less tired it would be even more fun!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Aware

Poor Abe, too much agilitiez. :P

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 02-14-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm All Ears

Mia's playing is coming along SO well these last couple weeks. I'm anxious to see where that goes. At any rate, it's just fun to get her really into things other than ball playing.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

Patton's doing so well with tunnels and wobble boards. I've started introducing target lids and sending him to tunnel which isn't going badly at all!

Working on send around standards next! It's kind of fun to work this all over again!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-15-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm All Ears

Such a nice morning with Summer. She is such a steady, always willing little dog. Overall just a great practice with some handling stuff and some obstacles we've neglected (coughtablecough) and she did great. I forgot where I was going a couple times and she saved my butt both times.

Distraction-wise (it is a distractions class) it was tough today. In the field next to us was a lure coursing trial going on (holy cow beezers are loud when it's their turn!). Summer didn't pay any mind to it but the aussies and cocker were definitely having more distractions than usual.

Summer's downfall is my trainer. She's gotten much much better but if we are making a beeline to the trainer while she's sitting on the ground just a ways away from the course, Summer runs and does a drive by lick. She's fast getting back engaged but she just HAS to go let the trainer know she loves her.

So we're working some of her getting clicked/treated for leaving the trainer and coming to me. Overall though in everyday life I am noticing how much more focused on ME that she is. It's been a fantastic class and I wish we could do it again! Only one week left sadly.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Vizsla mom

Just had the BEST day with Penn. Beyond proud. Ack! This dog. She is a dream!!