Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Higbread Dingbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
Yep, I used to be hardcore "breeding mixes is ALWAYS irresponsible" but now as long as there's health testing and some sort of goal, which for me includes solid family temperaments, then I'm fine with it. I prefer purebreds with the exception of the rare sport mix (oh, borderwhippets) and would prefer to see them trying to develop a new breed rather than just constantly producing F1 crosses, but you know what? As long as health & temperament are paramount, the breeder stands behind the dogs and the pups all have homes... it's all fine by me.

If the breeders were investing that amount of time and work into the mixes and breeding for a viable goal, absolutely I would have no issue with it.
I see it a lot with sport mixes, and while I personally don't think I'd own a Border Staffy, I can see their advantages within the flyball world.

But what I tend to see far more often is not only no testing, but a plethora of lies to go along with it.
"This "Labradoodle" is perfect for families with allergies because they are just like labradors that don't shed!"
"Rare hybrid"
"Only grows to the size of a Pomeranian"
"Guaranteed to be healthier than a purebred" - on the basis that the dog is a mix, and not based on genetic testing.

On another note..I'm wondering now if Ruby could be a Border Whippet....hmmm
Old 02-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Well it's always nice when a perceived attack isn't met with return attacks. :|

Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Honestly, as long as the parents are health tested, have stable temperaments, and the breeders screen potential homes and will take back pups later in life I have no issue with "designer" dogs. The majority of "designer" dog breeders don't do that of course, but the majority of purebred breeders don't either. That may not be the case with more rare breeds, but with popular breeds like labs and goldens there are TONS of irresponsible breeders.
yup yup yup. i don't take issue with intentional mixes provided the breeder meets the standards that i have that apply across the board. i am lucky enough to know a few people who do breed flyball mixes and who do it very well. people i'd be willing to buy a dog from, purebred or mixed.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
yup yup yup. i don't take issue with intentional mixes provided the breeder meets the standards that i have that apply across the board. i am lucky enough to know a few people who do breed flyball mixes and who do it very well. people i'd be willing to buy a dog from, purebred or mixed.
Start dropping my name around them with lots of positive adjectives, so that when I'm ready for my next dog in 4 or 5 years, I have half a prayer of getting on a list, would you?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfozz View Post
If the breeders were investing that amount of time and work into the mixes and breeding for a viable goal, absolutely I would have no issue with it.
I see it a lot with sport mixes, and while I personally don't think I'd own a Border Staffy, I can see their advantages within the flyball world.

But what I tend to see far more often is not only no testing, but a plethora of lies to go along with it.
"This "Labradoodle" is perfect for families with allergies because they are just like labradors that don't shed!"
"Rare hybrid"
"Only grows to the size of a Pomeranian"
"Guaranteed to be healthier than a purebred" - on the basis that the dog is a mix, and not based on genetic testing.

On another note..I'm wondering now if Ruby could be a Border Whippet....hmmm
And you get the same sort if misdirection with BYB purebred breeders.
"RARE Polar Bear golden retrievers!" (Really light colored goldens)
"CHAMPION lines!"
"Vet checked" (but not health tested)
"Rare white Labradors!" (really light colored yellow labs)
"Rare blue pittbulls!"
"Teacup!"
"Perfect family guard dogs"
"Rare silver labs!"

Irresponsible breeding is irresponsible breeding no matter what kind of dogs are being produced. Maybe I just can't get that worked up about cross breeding in dogs because I was involved in horses before I got dogs, and in the horse world crossbreeding is not nearly the cardinal sin that it is in dogs.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Honestly, as long as the parents are health tested, have stable temperaments, and the breeders screen potential homes and will take back pups later in life I have no issue with "designer" dogs. The majority of "designer" dog breeders don't do that of course, but the majority of purebred breeders don't either. That may not be the case with more rare breeds, but with popular breeds like labs and goldens there are TONS of irresponsible breeders.
I agree, if it's going to be done then I can agree with responsible breeding. But I guess more or less on a 'if you can't beat em, join em' basis . I don't really care for mixing breeds in general though, I have a hard time believing out of what..like 500 dog breeds, that there are isn't something suitable for what you need them for. And I take more offense to small dogs being bred (cockapoos and puggles and whatnot), because I don't really see why someone would need a cockapoo to sit on their lap over a cocker spaniel or toy poodle themselves. I'm more ok with working (herding, hunting, service, etc) mixes...I guess I feel better about it if there is a specific need that current breeds do not fill. But, that is my lowly opinion and I'm not going to get worked up about all of it...it is what it is.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:37 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
Yep, I used to be hardcore "breeding mixes is ALWAYS irresponsible" but now as long as there's health testing and some sort of goal, which for me includes solid family temperaments, then I'm fine with it. I prefer purebreds with the exception of the rare sport mix (oh, borderwhippets) and would prefer to see them trying to develop a new breed rather than just constantly producing F1 crosses, but you know what? As long as health & temperament are paramount, the breeder stands behind the dogs and the pups all have homes... it's all fine by me.
Agreed, a lot of ranchers cross breed working dogs, whether for herding / ranch work or hog hunting, even LGD's are sometimes crossbred in this area

Old 02-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Lol hey don't say "Mastweiller" too loudly or before you know it you will start seeing "Mastweiller" adds on CL and in newspapers everywhere
I googled English mastiff Rottweiler mix when I brought him home from the people who were getting rid of him almost 6 years ago and that's the 'breed' that popped up. Then a few weeks after we got him (he was 7-8 months old) my husband saw a litter in a mall in Edmonton with a price of $3500 each!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:22 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I agree, if it's going to be done then I can agree with responsible breeding. But I guess more or less on a 'if you can't beat em, join em' basis . I don't really care for mixing breeds in general though, I have a hard time believing out of what..like 500 dog breeds, that there are isn't something suitable for what you need them for. And I take more offense to small dogs being bred (cockapoos and puggles and whatnot), because I don't really see why someone would need a cockapoo to sit on their lap over a cocker spaniel or toy poodle themselves. I'm more ok with working (herding, hunting, service, etc) mixes...I guess I feel better about it if there is a specific need that current breeds do not fill. But, that is my lowly opinion and I'm not going to get worked up about all of it...it is what it is.
This.