Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Higbread Dingbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
Yep, I used to be hardcore "breeding mixes is ALWAYS irresponsible" but now as long as there's health testing and some sort of goal, which for me includes solid family temperaments, then I'm fine with it. I prefer purebreds with the exception of the rare sport mix (oh, borderwhippets) and would prefer to see them trying to develop a new breed rather than just constantly producing F1 crosses, but you know what? As long as health & temperament are paramount, the breeder stands behind the dogs and the pups all have homes... it's all fine by me.

If the breeders were investing that amount of time and work into the mixes and breeding for a viable goal, absolutely I would have no issue with it.
I see it a lot with sport mixes, and while I personally don't think I'd own a Border Staffy, I can see their advantages within the flyball world.

But what I tend to see far more often is not only no testing, but a plethora of lies to go along with it.
"This "Labradoodle" is perfect for families with allergies because they are just like labradors that don't shed!"
"Rare hybrid"
"Only grows to the size of a Pomeranian"
"Guaranteed to be healthier than a purebred" - on the basis that the dog is a mix, and not based on genetic testing.

On another note..I'm wondering now if Ruby could be a Border Whippet....hmmm