Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 PM
The Monster.

That's great. The nice thing about that prop is that you'll be able to move it around to different areas to both make it less stable and move the behaviour away from the wall. Lovely! I'm excited for you!

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
THANK YOU for that new/old video of Cohen! I've got to go looking for a box. I think I needed that visual to understand what you meant about using the less stable box.

Now that Gusto's hug is going so well (I didn't have a toy at the barn the other day, so he showed off by holding a horse brush, which was much heavier than anything he's held!), I'm back to wanting is handstand to become independent.

Here is where we are now. My foot is blocking his head half the time, but he's definitely nose-touching the ground between his front feet pretty deliberately for the click. Once or twice he's gotten so vertical that his feet have come off the wall - I've jackpotted the heck out of it when it has happened, but I know it wasn't obvious to him what the deal was. I think with the idea of the box, I have somewhere to go now (once I find a box).

Wow, Gusto looks fantastic!

Jackson's feet did the same thing the other day, where they came off the stack of books we're using and I jackpotted it like crazy but like you said, I don't even think he knew what he did.

That video of Cohen with the box is great! That will definitely be my next step now. I tried to have him do it against just the wall today and I think it's a bit too soon. He did lift one back foot up against the wall and knew where to go.

Today I used a mini plastic storage drawer type thing instead of a stack of books, and it's the highest he's backed up yet, and he did it with ease, so yay for progress!

Old 02-12-2014, 12:58 PM
The Monster.

Posting our new video!

I'm fading the lure, tossing the treat forward a bit and offering the slightest bit of support for her rear to get her walking past the first few steps more consistently.

I'm sort of imagining this becoming a walking handstand all around me as I sit/stand in the middle. Maybe one day I'll get her moving towards a target or something to get her going straight. Choices choices!

Megatron, Heat Vampire
Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

So awesome! What a great trick. That'll draw attention!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

That's amazing, Sekah!!!!!

I actually thought about trying to train a walking one, as when I was trying to work something the other day (I forget what LOL) Jari tried offering a handstand when we were totally not even near a wall. Your video may have officially convinced me to try

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 02-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Posting our new video!

I'm fading the lure, tossing the treat forward a bit and offering the slightest bit of support for her rear to get her walking past the first few steps more consistently.

I'm sort of imagining this becoming a walking handstand all around me as I sit/stand in the middle. Maybe one day I'll get her moving towards a target or something to get her going straight. Choices choices!
That's so awesome! How long did this take you to train up to this point?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 AM
The Monster.

Cheers everyone! Thanks for the comments! Part of the fun of training for me is getting the chance to share it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
That's so awesome! How long did this take you to train up to this point?
It's been a long time. Looking back on Youtube, my first handstand video was February 2011. So, it's been almost exactly 3 years that I've been taking videos. I imagine plenty of people can do it much, much faster than I have though. As I've said before, I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing, and we had plenty of dead ends when it came to training. Not to mention, Cohen is ~38 pounds and lacks a tail to act as ballast.

It's one of those tricks that's constantly in the works. I've been working on it a bit more conscientiously lately, but it's always there somewhere in the background.

Megatron, Heat Vampire
Old 02-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Active Pup

Default headstand

Hi,

When my dog Krystal came to live with me from the shelter, I accidently used a word that commanded her to go into a little circus routine. It was clear she'd been trained to do this by her previous owner. She's 10 pounds and a Westie/Poodle mix.

She was so thrilled to show off for me, and very sure this would make a real difference in our relationship--it was our first night together. Unfortunately I have no idea what I said to "command" her to do that routine. I've never been able to get her to do it again.

After 7 years all that remains is that she can stand on her hind legs easily and with a treat in my hand she'll follow my hand while twirling in a circle to get her treat.

Thanks for reminding me of her circus routine story, maybe I can figure out how to trigger it by doing some trick training like this! I'll let you know what we uncover.

My blog is OhHappyDogs
Old 02-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

Cohen is so amazing. What a cool girl, and you do so many neat things with her!

Here's Gusto, trying to be as cool. He's not using anything to get up (obviously) although he's not really staying up either. The thing we are having trouble with is that he wants something to target with his feet, even if he doesn't balance on it. If we are in a wide open space, he tries to use me. Here he's obviously using the treadmill. For now, I figure I'll just keeping taking it - I'm really happy with where he is with the trick!

Old 02-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

Drat, this video is a little blurry for some reason, but he did such a nice job I wanted to share it anyway!