Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm All Ears

Holy cow these prices. We charged $90 for a fully vaccinated and spayed/neutered dog that was UTD on shots. Flat price across the board. I guess I assumed kill shelters would be about the same anywhere. I assumed the $300+ were going to be rescues that foster dogs, that kind of thing.

I just checked that shelter now and they've changed policies (a lot for the better, like not killing all pit bulls).

Now they are:

$95 for dogs
$125 puppies
$150 purebreds (dumb imo. What if the purebred is old or something? I would think a small mixed puppy would be more 'valuable' than a senior purebred)
$50 cats
$95 kittens
Old 02-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

Our shelter is $120 across the board for local adoptions. When we do transport, though, the prices can vary from 175-400. Then again, its not cheap to drive a van fullof dogs 17 hours each way.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I kind of have an issue with shelters charging a huge amount for purebred puppies, when you can't even tell they are purebred at such a young age. Fable could have been $300 if she came from a different shelter because they were convinced (and convinced me) she was a purebred GSD. Well, for starters at two years old she's like 20 pounds. . .
Honestly, for people who don't know or don't care, it really runs the risk of sending them off to find a crappy breeder as well. There are people charging $200 - $300 for their purebred, albeit badly bred puppies, and without the hassle of an adoption application.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

Around here (in MA we don't have many kill shelters, so these are rescue/no kill shelter prices) puppies are usually $350-450, adults are less, seniors less. I don't think I've seen higher prices for purebreds but I'm sure it happens. I don't have a problem with the prices assuming the dog is altered (or they give a voucher for a free alter when the pup is old enough). I mean it's not like dogs aren't getting homes because of the prices. Tucker was $450 and had like 12 applications the day after he was put up on petfinder. If the prices get in the way of dogs finding homes then that's different.

On the other hand I can see how it's a problem if people go to a BYB instead of a shelter because a BYB is cheaper (and sometimes easier). But I don't know, should shelters really be thinking about out competing BYBs?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Show Dog

I paid $175 for Astro, in cash. He was about 12 weeks old I think - still a fluffy puppy. That's the same that particular shelter charges for any dog, be it puppy or senior, purebred or mix. The same shelter charges $50 for kittens, $20 for adult cats.

I thought it was a steal, honestly. I'm guessing his foster family and the rescue put WAY more into his litter than what they got back in adoption fees, considering the whole lot was speutered (which I wish hadn't been done so early, but what's done is done and I understand why they did it), had regular deworming and the first vaccination set, and the mama dog was in pretty bad shape/in need of intense care. I would've happily paid $300+ if it would help out the older, less "popular" dogs in the shelter.

Then again, my perception is probably skewed because I'm looking into reputable breeders and might fork out up to two grand or more for a pup in that arena. And pet store pups (eugh), from what I see in Manhattan, are also massively expensive compared to even the pricier rescues.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
I kind of have an issue with shelters charging a huge amount for purebred puppies, when you can't even tell they are purebred at such a young age.
You can when they come from a puppy mill bust and the litter is registered, or if the puppy was surrendered with papers (which can happen - not all breeders are responsible enough to take back their puppies).

Raising the fee also deters people looking to "puppy flip" - adopt a small, cute, high-demand puppy for a low adoption fee and then turn around and sell it for hundreds of dollars in profit. Our shelter doesn't increase the fees on high-demand breed purebred dogs, but you do have to sign an agreement to home checks and that the dog must be returned to the shelter (and admitting fees will be waived) if you are no longer able to care for it.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Active Pup

The county shelter I volunteer at charge $70 for dogs and $40 for cats, with the fee going down to $16 for pets over the age of 6. They also lower fees the longer an animal has been there. There's been some discussion about raising fees for puppies, small breeds, etc., but hasn't really gone anywhere yet.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:22 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerKid View Post
You can when they come from a puppy mill bust and the litter is registered, or if the puppy was surrendered with papers (which can happen - not all breeders are responsible enough to take back their puppies).
Oh, yeah, when I was volunteering there was a puppy mill bust and there was absolutely no question those were purebred dogs. I'm talking more about cases like mine, where I was sent home with a "purebred" GSD.
I understand it, and while I don't know if it's the best way, there absolutely should be something to push people to look at dogs that might be a little older. Your point about adopting purebreds for cheap and reselling them is a really interesting one. Never thought about that. It would be way too much trouble with some shelters, but if it was AC, all you need to do is sign a paper saying you haven't been convicted of animal cruelty in the previous three years and that you'll treat the dog well. You don't even have to return the dog if you can't keep it, you just need to find a "good home."

Last edited by Whisper; 02-13-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberD View Post
Our local Humane Society gets attacked on Facebook whenever they post young purebreds with doubled adoption fees. I understand why it frustrates people, but the fact is that people will pay it. Freak out if you want that an 8wk old American Curl kitten or a 1yr old Yorkie is $400, but if you don't want to pay it, find another kitten or dog. There's going to be a ton of people wanting those pets, and long as the screening process remains thorough, then I don't see a problem with paring down applications with a higher adoption fee.
Except people call it adoption. If we're talking about what a market will bear, to me, that is more buying.

To some degree it makes sense, but if you're "adopting" dogs for more than the BYBs in some areas are charging... you're going to have unhappy people.

Rescue/shelter/byb price ratio, I am going to have to look into that one.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 AM
Top Dog

Those prices.....wow.

I'm sure I'm going to offend someone, but I'm not going to pay $300-400 to adopt a mutt that may or may not be a genetic mess (my all-time favorite dog ever was a Shar Pei/Cane Corso mix from the shelter where I was volunteering, and he had the worst HD Lsu's Vet school had seen in years, and he was a special needs dog because of that issue. Not to mention the wonderful temperament you get when you cross a Shar Pei to a Cane Corso.....). Now I see why bybs and their $150-300 dogs reign supreme.