Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

Default Weird pricing at shelters.

One of the shelters in my area charges $65 for dogs over 25lbs and $99 for dogs under 25lbs. Yet at times I've seen $200-$500 dogs listed, no notes as to why. What is up with that? These are not special needs dogs, most are young small breeds. This shelter is not short on funds (smack dab in an affluent area, they also have a waiting list from hell for volunteering).

One good thing they do is if a dog has been sitting forever, they will lower the price to $25 and shortly after that the dog usually finds a home. They do have an application to fill out, so its not like the dog is just going to who ever has the money.

Does anyone know of shelters that do this? Reasoning behind it? The dogs in question are not in high demand and sometimes they even have toy breed puppies at the normal price.

Deputy, 2007 Zane, 2008 Abby, 2008, Kieber, 2013
Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

Shelters are pretty standard around here. I wouldn't expect to pay over $100.

Rescues tend to do their own thing. There's a cat rescue that charges more for kittens, certain breeds and 'unusual coloring'. It's one of the only ones in the area I've seen charge more just for a color.

Normally it's $60-75 but I saw a young, purebred Ragdoll for $200. The rescue said it was because these cats are unique and it gives them money to help the other cats that aren't rare. So a white, fluffy kitten would go for a lot more than a 6 year old tomcat. Even though they are usually receiving the same care.

Most of the rescues/shelters charge less for elderly animals as opposed to charging more for kittens/breeds/whatever. The shelters are a base fee. They do a lot of free or discounted weeks, especially when they're getting full.

Meh. I kind of get it but it just increases the want for certain breeds/coloring, IMO. Seems similar to a BYB charging more for a "Party Poodle". But this particular cat rescue seems to be doing well.

Same with some small dog breed rescues. $200 would not be uncommon for those types, but they get adopted quickly. (Also probably a regional thing. We have a lot of lab and pit bull types here, whereas the smaller dogs are hard to find. Especially purebred dogs of any breed.)
Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Resident fainting goat

I've heard of shelters raising adoption fees on puppies/small breeds, it's so their adoption fees can cover the costs of the less-adoptables.
I've seen some rescues go over-board ($1000+ for puppy mill rescue pups for example), but most of the time, it makes sense to do. The money goes right into the care of the other animals.

I've also seen fees raised (as seems to be the issue here) for dogs who needed more care on intake (weren't already s/n, had no medical history, needed behaviorist etc...) while the small breeds with low prices may have been just surrendered pets with all their info/care already

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

We had higher prices for more desirable dogs. But in general most dogs fees were very very low or waived and charging more for one or two dogs a month certainly did not make up for it!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 02-13-2014, 03:14 PM
overdogged

I think all of the shelters around here go by age. I know Harrisburg is bloody expensive-- puppies are over $200 (includes speuter and microchip). I got my senior dog for $29.99.

One shelter used to (maybe still does) have a program where they'd adopt out less common purebreeds (Standard Poodle for example) at a higher price because they are more desirable and the money can certainly be used. I'm fine with that, really.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

You guys are lucky this is our pricing.

I will not adopt from them though, I will take dogs off kijiji first (rehomes not purchasing) since they do not have the room for people to drop their dogs off.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

I think all of it's crazy actually. A shelter cat should be 30 bucks or less and a dog should be 100 or less. maybe 150 for a puppy.

I know they cost money and when shelters fail and pets are in the street, then society will be forced to deal with the issue. I've run into enough shelters that operate with those prices and make it to know it can work>

The private "rescues" that are charging 500 and up for dogs??? they're dog resellers with a feel good name. I don't care how much it cost you to go pull a dog from a shelter 300 miles away or how long you had to keep it at a "foster" home. I really don't.

If it costs you too much to do something you are choosing to do, chose to do something else. Like maybe VOLUNTEER at a local shelter and maybe your dogs won't have to be pulled to go to a "rescue" 300 miles away

If you don't have the monetary resources to help RESCUE, then use time resources because those are just as valuable.

I don't claim to be a rescuing icon by any means, but I have taken in various dogs over the years when I could. Kept them, took them to the vet if need be, fed them, trained them, loved them until we could find them a better place. Nobody supports that but us. That's rescue. Going to take in a litter of puppies and then selling them for 500 bucks a piece?? you're a broker
Old 02-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Not a Border Collie

Here's our local SPCA's prices:

Quote:
CANINES
Puppy’s – 5 months old: $450
Dogs 6 months – 5 years: $360
Dogs 6 years and older: $180
BONDED PAIR: $550
BONDED PAIR SENIOR(6+):$250

FELINES
Cat/Kitten: $170
Cats 6 years and older: $85
BONDED PAIR: $250
BONDED PAIR SENIOR (6+): $150
About twice as much as the Toronto Humane Society, surprisingly enough!

From what I've seen private rescues are about the same as our local SPCA, sometimes a little higher.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 02-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Big Mutts

Wow! Our shelter charges $105 for dogs and $85 for cats. The price includes vaccinations, spay/neuter and microchip. The fees are less if the pet is already altered.
Ruffian, what is the definition of a barn feline for a donation? I'm guessing feral.
SitStay, do they really get bonded pairs adopted out that frequently?
Old 02-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapeach View Post
SitStay, do they really get bonded pairs adopted out that frequently?
I am not involved with our SPCA so I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt it. Probably more common with small dogs than larger ones, though. I'm sure with cats it's much more frequent, I don't think it's uncommon for people to adopt cats as a pair.

Quinn - English Shepherd