Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Is your dog typey?
No 7 14.58%
Yes 24 50.00%
Maybe 13 27.08%
Other 2 4.17%
grilled cheese & tomato soup 10 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
I agree.

And I think she's pretty typey, but I don't know much about Aussies. Certainly more so than the ones who look like BCs without a tail. She is clearly all Aussie.
My/Lauren's agility instructor has an aussie (with a tail, to complicate breed ID further) who looks like a BC. If I didn't know her, and didn't know specific things I was looking for, I'd say she's a BC. I am not saying this because I dislike the dog (on the contrary), but just because I see it too.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Top Dog

Heidi is easily recognized as a Cocker Spaniel, in the sense that if someone saw her for the first time, they would immediately go "Cocker Spaniel". There's no other "possible breeds". Same with Missy...she's definitely all Rottweiler.

That being said...there are things about both of them that definitely don't match the ideal breed standard. So I would consider them "typey" when compared with "all the other Cocker Spaniels" (or Rottweilers) but I would not consider them "typey" when compared with "well-bred, show/working stock". Does that make sense?

ETA: And Jack is just a floofy unrecognizeable mess lol.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
Heidi is easily recognized as a Cocker Spaniel, in the sense that if someone saw her for the first time, they would immediately go "Cocker Spaniel". There's no other "possible breeds". Same with Missy...she's definitely all Rottweiler.

That being said...there are things about both of them that definitely don't match the ideal breed standard. So I would consider them "typey" when compared with "all the other Cocker Spaniels" (or Rottweilers) but I would not consider them "typey" when compared with "well-bred, show/working stock". Does that make sense?

ETA: And Jack is just a floofy unrecognizeable mess lol.
Jack needs his own cool breed, complete with having one eye in the standard!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
My/Lauren's agility instructor has an aussie (with a tail, to complicate breed ID further) who looks like a BC. If I didn't know her, and didn't know specific things I was looking for, I'd say she's a BC. I am not saying this because I dislike the dog (on the contrary), but just because I see it too.
Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially from working line type dogs where appearance isn't the big thing, but you do lose typiness when they look too "generic herding dog".

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Higbread Dingbat

I could have sworn I had a fairly well stacked shot of Cobain, but I can't for the life of me find it.
So we'll go with this horribly washed out side shot.

He's not "typical" in terms of non-BC people recognizing him as such, but I think a lot of that has to to do with his colouring. Since it's not as common people either tend to think Golden mixed with BC, or Aussie with a tail. I've also heard that he's "too small" to be a Border Collie, but at 21.5" and the standard calling for a dog that's 18-22" I think he's just fine?

I don't know a heck of a lot about judging to a standard and the exact terminology. But I think he's relatively close to "correct"
Maybe not typical in terms of colour...but still acceptable.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

All three of my dogs are generally recognizable as ESS by the general public. However, when I would take Buzz & Bailey out together, people would occasionally ask me what kind of mix Buzz is. Buzz heavily resembles his (truly) English ancestors.

This is what I think of as "ideal" ESS ears. Bailey and Gabby both have these.

Buzz
I chose no. But I love his type more. He's a definite mix of English dogs and American dogs. However, if you look at foreign dogs (especially this kennel, he fits right in).

Bailey
Yes. She is definitely an ESS. Even if she's too tall, and too light, and her temperament is incorrect.

Gabby
I chose other for Gabby. She's changed SO MUCH as she's grown hair/lost weight/gained a personality. Right now I'd say "maybe." But I have a feeling she'll really look like a springer someday.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Top Dog

I don't have any good recent stacked pictures of Watson, but here's one in motion that shows his nice head and neck, and beautiful side gait. He carries his tail too high and it's set a little low.

Here is his show photo from ~10 months. You can see how skinny and elegant he was here, not in a good way, and more so than many of his peers at the same age. His breeder laughed at him when she saw this picture

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Top Dog

Matisse I think one can tell he's a toy Poodle if that is what is meant by "typy."

(I just had to put this picture in. I'm still reeling with excitement. lol)

Maurice

I think Maurice too, looks like a toy Poodle. Conformationally, both Poodles are good examples of the breed. My novice scissoring job doesn't do him justice though.

Jose` is suppose to be a Chihuahua but he's like 10 lbs, plus he just doesn't quite look all Chihuahua. But he's cute.

Chulita isn't an example of perfection but I think one can tell she's a Chihuahua

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

To the standard, absolutely. No collie heads here.

To the public opinion, they're not fat so not always easily recognizable as shelties. I'm pretty sure this is why they are mistaken for border collies... because they're slender.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm All Ears

I got border collie so many times with Trey. Never understood it. He was 18 lbs and sable.