Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I will go check this club out and see how it feels. I just feel like it would be nice to have some people around who know what they're doing, otherwise I will definitely be doing a lot of floundering!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Can any dog compete in bite sport? Of is there a size limit? I did watch a video on you tube of a JRT doing bite sports (I am sorry if that isn't the right terminology lol). Everyone started laughing when it came on the field but when he finished they cheered and gave the dog and it's handler a standing ovation!

I think Josefins would enjoy it but I am not sure how to test if she really has what it takes, I knowing takes a dog who is toy motivated and likes to bite (which she does).

Old 02-04-2014, 12:04 AM
Top Dog

Any dog that can compete can compete . I'm pretty sure you saw Claudia's dog and their demo , it makes its rounds every so often.

Limiting factors if the dog can do the bitework then become the jumps and the dumbbell. But there are only age restrictions, not size
Old 02-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Finding a helper who's good and safe is our biggest challenge. The rest can be practiced alone. and even lots of protection work such as blinds & transports & barking & targeting/grip.
Have you tried Cascade yet? They're a pretty awesome club and Les has been training dogs a long long time, he has won quite a few championships and placed at Nationals a few times, I believe. He is about 2 hours from you and he has Mals and Dutchies.

I like going to seminars. It's fun and I learn a lot whether it's what I don't like or don't want to do or of it's an awesome top that gives me an edge. I get feedback and google all the seminars before going. I'm going to a Joanne Plumb seminar this spring and possibly Roland Siebel and Sandro Sechi. They came highly recommended. My biggest thing I've learned is learn to say no, no matter the persons experience, of it makes me uncomfortable, I say something and they can explain it in depth more or we change gears and don't do what they wanted. It's hard to look at someone who has been to the Worlds multiple times and say...no, that makes me uncomfortable and I don't want it done to my dog. But...they'll respect you more if you do speak up. At least that's my experience.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:51 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I hope to have some free time coming when OH leaves for business for a fee months and it would be a good way to pass the time if I could find a trainer and / or a club to work with

Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Have you tried Cascade yet? They're a pretty awesome club and Les has been training dogs a long long time, he has won quite a few championships and placed at Nationals a few times, I believe. He is about 2 hours from you and he has Mals and Dutchies.
I really like our helper but I was speaking in general, that's the hardest.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I'd be up for letting you fly me out to Portland on weekends to do helper work on a pretty regular basis

I don't even know anybody in that neck of the woods that can help you though, sorry

It's like that everywhere though. I can think of 3 or 4 clubs around me, within 1-2 hour drive and I'd rather just work my dog myself.

I'm trying to get a couple nephews going at it, but they're teenage boys and have the attention span of teenage boys. But the only other helpers I'd trust to do good work are 3 and 5 hours away.
LOL We'd love to have you. I don't suppose airlines are accepting homemade goods these days in exchange for airfare, are they?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.