Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Default Another attack on purebred dogs.

Just FYI: The TV Guide listing for Westminster next week is below. Yet another slam against purebred dogs. If you want to write TV Guide to "educate" them, their email address is: [email protected]

138th Westminster Dog Show
Let's go, mutts! This year, the animal kingdom's true underdogs get the chance to compete in the annual hoity-toity canine pageant for the first time. Unfortunately, mixed breeds are not eligible for Best in Show.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

YES, thank you for posting this! I will cross post what I put on my personal Facebook.

Quote:
To all my friends who own and love purebred dogs, I want to call something to your attention. TV Guide Magazine's description of Westminster Dog Show reads as follows:

138th Westminster Dog Show
Let's go, mutts! This year, the animal kingdom's true underdogs get the chance to compete in the annual hoity-toity canine pageant for the first time. Unfortunately, mixed breeds are not eligible for Best in Show.

Please, PLEASE write to them if you find this offensive. Please explain that mixed breeds cannot win BIS not out of elitism but because they cannot be shown against a breed standard, but are welcome in performance events. Please explain that loving and valuing the unique traits of purebred dogs does NOT mean you do not love or appreciate mixed breeds. You all know that I own and COMPETE with both mixed and purebred dogs, and I value both deeply. I rarely make posts like this, but we MUST stand up for ourselves. I do not even DO conformation showing; it is not about that. It is about this idea of pitting mixes and purebreds against one another and suggesting that valuing the purebred dog is elitist, "hoity-toity," and somehow implies that we think less of mixed breeds.

They can be contacted at [email protected]. If you have a purebred dog that you love and value, and would like to have another, it is worth taking the time to write in. This attitude towards purebreds and the people who love them does not bode well for their future. We need to educate - and quickly.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Meh, I own pure breed and mutts and I am not going to let it bother me.

This is the problem with society today IMHO .... Someone is offended by something then he must be removed! This is why we have censorship :/, I say take it with a grain of salt

Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Higbread Dingbat

While I do currently own both purebreds and mutts, I may not be "offended" by it per se, but I do feel it's a major spread of misinformation. And perpetuates the often incorrect stigma that purebred owners and breeders "hate" mutts.

- Especially when it's very often the other way around.

Sent an email just for the heck of it. We'll see what happens.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 PM
*Biter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Meh, I own pure breed and mutts and I am not going to let it bother me.

This is the problem with society today IMHO .... Someone is offended by something then he must be removed! This is why we have censorship :/, I say take it with a grain of salt
It's not just a matter of an offensive opinion. It's a matter of large, influential groups (PETA, HSUS, etc) trying to squeeze the life out of breeders so that all that's left is spayed/neutered mixed breeds...and then after that, nothing.

This has nothing to do with an opinion. It is a movement. And if people don't speak out about it, it will happen.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfozz View Post
While I do currently own both purebreds and mutts, I may not be "offended" by it per se, but I do feel it's a major spread of misinformation. And perpetuates the often incorrect stigma that purebred owners and breeders "hate" mutts.
^All of this.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Can I have a link directly to the TV guide page showing this ad?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
Can I have a link directly to the TV guide page showing this ad?

My friend scanned it this morning. It's not available online but is in the print magazine.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfacedanes View Post
It's not just a matter of an offensive opinion. It's a matter of large, influential groups (PETA, HSUS, etc) trying to squeeze the life out of breeders so that all that's left is spayed/neutered mixed breeds...and then after that, nothing.

This has nothing to do with an opinion. It is a movement. And if people don't speak out about it, it will happen.
Thank you. This is exactly is.

I own and COMPETE with both purebreds and mutts. I am not ok with this. It is spreading misinformation and deliberately creating a divide between dog owners.

This attitude is spreading and IMO it has the potential to threaten to future of purebred dogs.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfacedanes View Post

Meh ... HSUS and PETA are a bunch of psychos and most people know that. Breeders will never be snuffed out