Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-02-2014, 06:32 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRanger View Post
They sound nice on paper and TV (Dogs 101), but I don't think they'll be a good fit for me (already have one dog that will fight at the drop of a hat, don't need another).

Do both types have the same health issues?
You might want to look more toward cardigans then and really get to know lines. I haven't personally met any outside of dog shows, but talking to owners they are the more even-tempered of the two.

This is a good article about the health problems in the breed.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm All Ears

The cardis I know are all pretty healthy from what I've seen. The old girl is still running agility too. I'd take a cardi but I don't tend to like pemmies too much.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:38 PM
<----Thanks Allie

^^Cardis also don't have the same amount of BYB/milling going on. It's growing for that breed but not like with pems. Also, pems have a sharper personality so I think that got exacerbated by the poor breeding, and dwarf dogs have extra problems that will just go horrible quickly with poor breeding.

/sigh.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

I have a Cardi, I suppose she's on the sharper side for the breed but I still find her very easy to live with.

Riddled with health problems? I dunno, not Cardis. It would help if people clarified which breed they were actually talking about before making sweeping statements like that about "corgis." It's prudent to remember that they are two separate breeds.

My dog's great granddam died at 18; her granddam is still very active at 12 and her mother is still acting like a young dog at 8. Mine has flea allergies but other than that, nothing. She's super hardy and has an iron stomach. She's actually never seen a vet for anything but vaccines and she'll be 3 in May. *shrug* I don't do breeds with generally poor health but I would own another Cardi in a heartbeat, so...

As far as temperament goes, you love them or hate them. They believe the world belongs to them and good luck to you if you try to up end that belief. Mine is a fast learner and a great thinker, and also loves fun and games. They absolutely do not do well with force in training or being drilled, but are otherwise easy to train IME.

Mine is fairly aloof with strangers but I never worried about her being handled or touched. She's guardy of perimeters and will do bluff charges at people who let themselves in to the house, yard, or car. But, really fine with people out in public. We went to a big outdoor dog show last summer where she got passed around and made a lot of friends, and even worked the the vendors over for treats and pets.

Dogs are touchier but she is not dangerous - again, it's a loud, bossy bluff charge. She used to be quite DR but has basically overcome that with training and maturity. That was partially genetic but also escalated seriously after she was attacked by a Great Dane. Any prospective corgi owner should know that after being pryed out of a Great Dane's mouth and left with several punctures across her body, she actually started snarling and trying to get back to him.

She is bossy with household dogs but there is only so much of that I will allow, and she knows it. Left unchecked, she would be telling everyone what they can and cannot do. New dogs entering the home is another cup of tea but I've learn how to manage introductions and it's very doable to introduce dogs into the household.

RG can be a problem in the breed, but mine only "RG's" to the very normal extent of not wanting others to steal her stuff. I do not allow excessive guarding displays or stealing from other dogs. She does not RG with people at all and I can take raw food from her without an issue.

They do tend to be LOUD IMO. Mine is bark collar conditioned and that makes life in certain situations a lot easier. How other want to handle the barking is up to them, but so be aware they're quite loud.

I dunno, mine is certainly not riddled with health or behavioral issues. Then again, sometimes I see things described as "behavioral issues" that are just corgis being corgis, so I suppose much is perspective and making sure the breed suits you. I need all my dogs to be the kind that can hop up, go anywhere and do anything, without a bunch of consideration into health or temperament issues, and my Cardi certainly fits that bill. We took her hiking in one of the few canyons we have in Illinois last autumn and she kept up with the long legged dogs like it was nothing, scrabbled over rocks and logs, etc.

Mine is health, hardy, sane, and sound little dog with a big personality.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post

She is bossy with household dogs but there is only so much of that I will allow, and she knows it. Left unchecked, she would be telling everyone what they can and cannot do. New dogs entering the home is another cup of tea but I've learn how to manage introductions and it's very doable to introduce dogs into the household.
What's your method? That's my main concern iwth Nextdog. I know Mia will be interesting and it will need to be done well.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
What's your method? That's my main concern iwth Nextdog. I know Mia will be interesting and it will need to be done well.
Verbal corrections, body blocking/spatial pressure (getting between her and other dog and pushing into her space until she yields to me), and rewards/reassurance for appropriate behavior. And a lot (a LOT) setting her up for success, putting her in good situations with the new dog, helping both of them find appropriate ways to interact. I don't mean to make it sound like it's 90% punishment because it's not; I try really hard to make sure they're put in good situations and the new dog isn't allowed to push her buttons, and make a point encouraging positive interactions. But if she crosses the line I have no problem letting her know her behavior is not acceptable.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Top Dog

We have an almost 10 year old Cardi and I'd say Emily's description is spot on. The only thing he's been to the vet for in his life beyond routine stuff is to have a broken tooth removed. Oh and he got antibiotics for Lyme when our dogs all got covered in deer ticks after a hike. Otherwise, he's a healthy, rugged, able bodied and relatively easy to live with dog. He is loud and bossy with the other dogs but not really anything major.

There's quite a few Cardis at the local training club and they all pretty much fit Emily's description too. Out of probably the 20+ that I have known and seen regularly, only one has had back issues and the rest have all been extremely healthy and lived to be very old dogs (15-18 years). I'm just not seeing all the unhealthy, unstable corgis. They are herders and as herders, they come with a tendency towards quirky behavior, bossiness, being snarky with other dogs and not forgiving of harsh treatment but those are hardly traits limited to herders. I've been around fewer Pems but we fostered one and he was similar to Ziggy but more a happy type dog and outgoing with strangers. Ziggy is more intense in general and he's pretty aloof with strangers.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Big Dog

What is the difference between the 2 kinds (types? breeds?) of Corgis?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
You might want to look more toward cardigans then and really get to know lines. I haven't personally met any outside of dog shows, but talking to owners they are the more even-tempered of the two.

This is a good article about the health problems in the breed.
Thank you for creating a new addiction. I sooo want one, but I cant seem to find any in my area. Would you happen to know any breeders in TX?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

This is where I would start looking

http://cardigancorgis.com/BreederDir...play.asp?reg=0