Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

Default It's what breed for me time again

My criteria -

Small to medium

No big coat. I prefer wash and wear. I would consider a poodle or similar but I would get them professionally groomed. But no big coats.

Tolerant to heat

Would have to tolerate being home (with another dog) for about 8 hours a day, very occasionally a bit longer.

Inside dog - my dogs pretty much have the run of the house and yard.

Exercise - two walks per day generally. The occasional day of nothing if I can't do it for whatever reason. This would probably happen once every couple of months on average. I do love my walks. Would possibly come running with me if I ever get my butt into gear. A swim every fortnight approximately. Basically a dog that will take whatever I through at him/her but won't go stark raving mad if I have a bad day and just want to curl up on the couch with them.

Training - I dabble. Trick training, shaping and would love to get into agility, obedience, rally-o and scent discrimination with my next dog. I don't take classes or compete with my current dogs, but I have taken many classes over the years with them. For me it's just a lot of fun and something to keep them stimulated. I don't mind a dog that is a bit of a challenge. *looks at Abby* She is clever (yes of course I'd say that!) but I have to work hard to keep her interested. When I can do that, the results are really lovely and so much fun.

Health/longevity - I like a breed/dog who will likely live to 14+ and have minimal health issues. A hardy, healthy breed.

Temperament - A confident, social dog who likes people. I'd like to stack the cards in my favour in terms of reactivity. Dog aggression is also not something I desire, but they don't have to love other dogs either. I'm generally not a fan of dog parks (will go if we are the only people there).

I'd love a very affectionate dog but I'm also used to a certain degree of independence. Honestly, I think I am fairly laid back in this area. I generally mesh well with many personalities. Unlike with cats... I am needy and adore affectionate cats, but aloof cats make me sad for some reason. (All my cats growing up seemed to hate me although I adored them lol)

Ideas and suggestions much appreciated!