Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 11-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
That's so awesome!

I also recently had some breakthroughs with Onyx's back stall, it is really exciting!

Although (I was warned!) she totally has started doing it randomly when I bend over now. I was out working in the bush the other day and she kept launching herself at me whenever I would bend over. Luckily I just think it's cute, and she hasn't tried doing it to anyone else yet...
HAHA yeah, I was warned about that as well, so far we are doing good about not jumping on my back unless I ask, but I'm sure he'll get there

Congrats on your success with the back stall! ^_^ I really love it when they suddenly "get" something ^_^
Old 12-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Mountain Dawg

I need help with Circus!

I've been practicing my throws on my own so I can throw them low and straight pretty consistently. Circus started leaping for discs today, but she has this problem where her legs collapse under her upon landing (about half of the time) - she'll roll/slide on the grass after falling. She's 8.5 mo now and probably jumping a little less than a foot. Our disc sessions are about 4min long or less. This can't be normal, right? What should I do?

Last edited by Pintage; 12-02-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintage View Post
I need help with Circus!

I've been practicing my throws on my own so I can throw them low and straight pretty consistently. Circus started leaping for discs today, but she has this problem where her legs collapse under her upon landing (about half of the time) - she'll roll/slide on the grass after falling. She's 8.5 mo now and probably jumping a little less than a foot. Our disc sessions are about 4min long or less. This can't be normal, right? What should I do?
Unless it's a physical problem (which I'm sure you'd notice LOL), it sounds like she's just forgetting to land, not caring about landing, or focusing too much on something else and not about where her feet are. Common in younger and/or new dogs.

Have you done rollers with her at all too? Rollers help teach the dog to confidently grab a disc in motion. That way, when you start throwing them, they have to worry less about the catch and they can focus on the landing. I'd also try as hard as possible to get those discs low for a running catch (build on good catches w/o jumps), and get it out further in front of her.

Disc placement is important. A slow disc that a new dog has all the time in the world to get to might lead to a pogo jump (straight up, landing on the back feet like a pogo stick, chance of injury is increased). Instead, work on good running disc grabs, slowly increasing the high to jump for it, etc. Get that disc out in front of her too. As dogs gain experience and skill, you can start to float slow discs and they'll have clean catches, but you can't do that with a dog that's just learning (because of the pogo jump).

I don't know how old Circus is but it also might help to set up an agility jump and ask for a disc take that she needs to jump the bar to get (so disc placement is just past the bar after the jump). She'll learn to jump, grab, land and not worry so much about the disc's flight pattern, etc. Make it nice and easy to practice that jump, grab, land. Muscle memory it up
Old 12-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Mountain Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Have you done rollers with her at all too? Rollers help teach the dog to confidently grab a disc in motion. That way, when you start throwing them, they have to worry less about the catch and they can focus on the landing. I'd also try as hard as possible to get those discs low for a running catch (build on good catches w/o jumps), and get it out further in front of her.

Disc placement is important. A slow disc that a new dog has all the time in the world to get to might lead to a pogo jump (straight up, landing on the back feet like a pogo stick, chance of injury is increased). Instead, work on good running disc grabs, slowly increasing the high to jump for it, etc. Get that disc out in front of her too. As dogs gain experience and skill, you can start to float slow discs and they'll have clean catches, but you can't do that with a dog that's just learning (because of the pogo jump).

I don't know how old Circus is but it also might help to set up an agility jump and ask for a disc take that she needs to jump the bar to get (so disc placement is just past the bar after the jump). She'll learn to jump, grab, land and not worry so much about the disc's flight pattern, etc. Make it nice and easy to practice that jump, grab, land. Muscle memory it up
I'm so glad you responded! I was worried that she had muscle weakness or something!
I have done rollers, originally I thought rollers were for drive-building (and found them boring) only, but reading your post I can't believe I didn't think of that, I'll resume practicing them.

I've also been purposely throwing them slow so she'd have time to catch them, but yeah, noticed her pogo-ing after them instead so I'll stop that. Thanks for the advice on the agility jump, now that I have more of a clear strategy in my head, I think I'll go back to practicing flatwork and get those skills locked down first!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Mountain Dawg

Any advice on how to train a scoot? Things I've tried: freeshaping (failed miserably), pivoting around an object and wrap around my leg (also failed). Also, what is the purpose of a scoot? Under what circumstances do you use it? I get that it's a setup move... just isn't immediately obvious to me why we'd choose to use a scoot over an alternative setup move?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:05 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintage View Post
Any advice on how to train a scoot? Things I've tried: freeshaping (failed miserably), pivoting around an object and wrap around my leg (also failed). Also, what is the purpose of a scoot? Under what circumstances do you use it? I get that it's a setup move... just isn't immediately obvious to me why we'd choose to use a scoot over an alternative setup move?
I had a LOT of trouble teaching a scoot. I did it via luring -- ie, lure dog to turn then start moving treat into its chest, try to maneuver it through your legs. It felt like it took forever before it clicked. I then started adding distance and requiring the dog to seek out the gap in my legs itself.

I imagine you could probably teach it relatively easily if your dog already knew how to back up in circles around you. Maybe try teaching that first, then work on the scoot behaviour.

I don't use mine in disc, but this is how I use it in daily life/in musical freestyle/my own amusement.

Hopefully someone who knows more than I will pop in with some actually helpful advice.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Mountain Dawg

What an amusing vid xD Thanks for the tip, Sekah! I tried luring first but she'd do it in such a convoluted way (going around me, poking her head out from between my legs and then backing up) so I'll try teach her to backup in circles around me next.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Silence, peasants.

Well it took me a while to find this, ha. Feist is now a week shy of seven months old. When did you guys start letting them catch out of the air vs rollers? I tried to throw some low ones for her just so she could practice timing it, and we're putting up the discs for a while. Suffice to say babydog can get a surprising amount of air on a very very low throw. :P

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 03-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

It was super nice out and david convinced me to take Talon to play some disc. So I did, and well..... we need practice! We tried doing a few tricks and I am so rusty! It went terribly but he made me laugh by traying to sping backwards around me, than through my legs forwards, than backwards, than all over the place lol.

Plus, this is kinda cute I think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61917977@N02/13297355143/

Oh and you can probably tell in that video that our lovely day went from lovely to snowy. We got there and it just started pouring snow. I was lucky I use my thick coat for disc dog stuff because it hurts my back otherwise.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:07 PM
Big Dog

So...I registered Leo for a disc dog competition (just the throw and catch). It's being held in my home town in the beginning of April and it's free, so I figured, why not?

There are basically two options:
1) Leo will be focused and will actually do a decent job and catch a few or all
2) Leo will become completely distracted by the other dogs, not be interested in the frisbee, and completely embarrass me

Guess we won't know until it happens