Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Omg that's insane. I will never get a dog doing that lol
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-29-2014, 03:39 PM
The Monster.

That's awesome!! Keep up the good work!

I'll suggest that you be mindful of your reward placement. I found, through my own mistakes, that you want the head in line with the rest of the back, rather than up. Reward placement can encourage him to keep his head down a bit better.

There are also a few moments where he's standing there with his feet up, just sort of looking at you. (I'm watching this at work with no sound -- maybe you're talking, I'm not sure.) He looks like he's not getting much feedback. I'd try to be really conscientious of the amount of time he spends with his feet up with no feedback/reinforcement from you. It's sort of like when you teach a retrieve - you don't want to leave the dumbbell around the dog's face unless you're actively working with it. You want the dog to see the stack of books and immediately be engaged with the game. No zone outs. I'd probably address this by shortening the amount of time he's asked to stay in position, and upping the rate of reinforcement so he's being rewarded almost constantly for his position.

... Does that make any sense?

Yay handstand!

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
That's awesome!! Keep up the good work!

There are also a few moments where he's standing there with his feet up, just sort of looking at you. (I'm watching this at work with no sound -- maybe you're talking, I'm not sure.) He looks like he's not getting much feedback. I'd try to be really conscientious of the amount of time he spends with his feet up with no feedback/reinforcement from you. It's sort of like when you teach a retrieve - you don't want to leave the dumbbell around the dog's face unless you're actively working with it. You want the dog to see the stack of books and immediately be engaged with the game. No zone outs. I'd probably address this by shortening the amount of time he's asked to stay in position, and upping the rate of reinforcement so he's being rewarded almost constantly for his position.

... Does that make any sense?

Yay handstand!
Thank you!! This is why I love video taping so I can see what I'm doing right/wrong

I actually am talking to him a bit (maybe not enough), and initially (before I videoed this), I was popping treats left and right when he was in the position. But today I lessened the treats a lot since he kept giving me the position for longer times, maybe I shouldn't do that so soon?

Quote:
I'll suggest that you be mindful of your reward placement. I found, through my own mistakes, that you want the head in line with the rest of the back, rather than up. Reward placement can encourage him to keep his head down a bit better.
Ohhh didn't even THINK of this! ok, thanks. So do you mean feeding him the treat either on the floor, or low to the ground would be best?

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
The Monster.

I'd still feed from the hand, but between his paws, or even a bit underneath him. I might also consider using a release word to let him know he can pop out of the position.

Megatron, Heat Vampire
Old 02-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Startup doing Talon's handstand and he is such a fast learner. He's is really just starting this, but he's moved faster than Art did at this stage. I think he has some upper body strength and all the other things we've done for core strength lol.

Also, "*stand stare* *drool*" yeah.....
Old 02-05-2014, 05:46 AM
BusterLove

I also got stuck getting Quinn off the wall.

I've recently returned to it, just trying to C&T when she lifts her feet away from the wall. We'll try with that. It's been a work in progress for about 3 years now. LOL!

Like Linds, I stopped because I got sick of it being the only thing she would offer. First time she saw a rally-o sign she backed up onto it. The trainer standing near me just looked at me like "wtf is your dog doing?"

Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 AM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
Startup doing Talon's handstand and he is such a fast learner. He's is really just starting this, but he's moved faster than Art did at this stage. I think he has some upper body strength and all the other things we've done for core strength lol.
Holy moly, he's picked it up fast. Great work!

mrose_s, I had some success using a smaller, less stable platform. I was using a long, thin cardboard box for a lot of my early work.

Actually, here's a video of some of our really early work from a few years ago. The box provided a bit of a bounce and helped encourage her to rely less on her feet to hold herself up.

Megatron, Heat Vampire
Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

THANK YOU for that new/old video of Cohen! I've got to go looking for a box. I think I needed that visual to understand what you meant about using the less stable box.

Now that Gusto's hug is going so well (I didn't have a toy at the barn the other day, so he showed off by holding a horse brush, which was much heavier than anything he's held!), I'm back to wanting is handstand to become independent.

Here is where we are now. My foot is blocking his head half the time, but he's definitely nose-touching the ground between his front feet pretty deliberately for the click. Once or twice he's gotten so vertical that his feet have come off the wall - I've jackpotted the heck out of it when it has happened, but I know it wasn't obvious to him what the deal was. I think with the idea of the box, I have somewhere to go now (once I find a box).

Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 PM
The Monster.

Wow, Gusto's strength is obvious. He really just pulls his whole body up without much help from the wall. Glad you think that video is going to help! I guess I wasn't explaining it very well before. Good luck!

Megatron, Heat Vampire
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Top Dog

Well, I didn't find a box, but I found a...whatever this thing is that we keep wrapping paper in. I'm bummed I didn't angle the camera better, but I'm so glad I recorded it from this direction. He's doing so much more work than I realized! He had a couple of great moments here, I think. Curious to see how this develops this week!