Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Vizsla mom

I think she just means ..she is working with her doctor to get the dog covered under ADA. I'm assuming (and yes, I know what they say about assuming) that you would need some kind of 'doctor's note'? Or else anyone could yell service dog& no one could ever dispute it?
Old 01-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Aware

The only person allowed to ask for proof of a disability under the ADA is a judge in court.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Vizsla mom

I know that.. but I mean is, it is illegal if you don't have a doctor's consent, isn't it? I mean.. if you don't need consent from a doctor then any dog can be a service dog if it is task trained, right?
Old 01-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Aware

You need to legally disabled, the dog must be trained to do something to mitigate your disability. That's all.

Strongly recommended to have a doctors prescription, but not specified in the ADA.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Vizsla mom

Yes.. so basically what I said. She is trying to get herself classed as legally disabled, I am assuming.

Who knows.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Aware

Yes, I know that she is, but "certifying" a dog as a SD makes it harder for handlers who didn't shell out money for a bogus piece of paper that has no legal value. It makes gatekeepers think all SDs need to be certified, when they do not. I'm just trying to make sure she understands that she should not call her dog certified and doesn't get scammed out of money for a "certification".

Keeping in mind this is all in the US, of course.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
I know that.. but I mean is, it is illegal if you don't have a doctor's consent, isn't it? I mean.. if you don't need consent from a doctor then any dog can be a service dog if it is task trained, right?
I don't have a doctor's note for my SD. I'll need one if I move into no-pets housing, but that's about it.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Vizsla mom

But you're disabled (I'm sorry.. that sounds SO rude& I don't mean it rudely, I'm just not sure how else to phrase it) under ADA& it's confirmed by a doctor, correct?

Or else I could just say I have anxiety, train Penn to snuggle me& take her everywhere& no one would be able to say anything because I don't need to have any sort of conformation from a doctor ..which seems really wrong?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Aware

Unfortunately it is that easy, which is why there's a huge faker problem.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
But you're disabled (I'm sorry.. that sounds SO rude& I don't mean it rudely, I'm just not sure how else to phrase it) under ADA& it's confirmed by a doctor, correct?

Or else I could just say I have anxiety, train Penn to snuggle me& take her everywhere& no one would be able to say anything because I don't need to have any sort of conformation from a doctor ..which seems really wrong?
Yes I meant by way of a doctor's note, I am sorry for using the term "certified", I had a brain burp and forgot that it was a loaded word in regards to SD's I myself would be ok with getting her recognized (is that a more appropriate way to say it?) as an ESA if she proves unfit to be a full SD.

I just want to go about this the right way but this my first journey doing this and I am a little embarrassed about it I have gotten every reaction from people who know me well being happy for me to others being all "so that means you're crazy, right?" Or "why do you need an SD you aren't physically disabled!" :/