Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
It's a drop-in class, she doesn't actually have to instruct .
MOAR FACES

The reality is I KNOW stuff like this happens, the local club is a total disaster and these sorts of shenanigans go on aaaaall the time. I just don't take any part in it. I hear about them from my students who used to be students there and then came to us because of the disaster. But it doesn't make me any less frustrated. C'mon people. C'moooooon. x_X

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

and this is one of the (many) reasons Hudson and I don't do agility. I don't think Mr. Friendly would be able to concentrate on the task at hand if there are FRIENDS around. And everything counts as friends, even sticks. I know from experience that, while he has no interest in fighting, he won't back down if another dog starts something.

What happened to ES's being aloof. Seriously, dude.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
The instructor was trying to body block the dog, and started yelling at it to get back. I think she was nervous about grabbing onto him too though. After that she was really vigilant about him so I think she didn't expect him to run away from his owner that first time.
IMO, if you're teaching a class, you can't be nervous about grabbing onto a dog if something like this is happening... especially because there are ways you can do it to make sure no one gets harmed. It's our job to make sure it's a safe learning environment, it just comes with the territory.

I had to break up a pit/greater swiss dog fight at an outdoor agility class over the summer, with both dogs on leashes. Did I consider the chance of being bit? Sure. Did it matter? No.

It's like a vet being afraid of dogs. I've met them. They have no business being in the business.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
and this is one of the (many) reasons Hudson and I don't do agility. I don't think Mr. Friendly would be able to concentrate on the task at hand if there are FRIENDS around. And everything counts as friends, even sticks. I know from experience that, while he has no interest in fighting, he won't back down if another dog starts something.

Haha well he's still pretty young.

Most herders don't mature until later in life in that regard. Frag didn't start getting aloof until 2+ ish. Recon's just now getting into it at 1.5 yrs.. but not with people yet.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:

Summer is extra friendly and yeah, it's a thing for us to work through but she really LOVES agility. We do distractions classes and that helps though her real problem is just with people kneeling or sitting at her level. IT does take work but it's doable and actually not that hard. Much easier sometimes than Miss 'I Worry About Everything'.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
IMO, if you're teaching a class, you can't be nervous about grabbing onto a dog if something like this is happening... especially because there are ways you can do it to make sure no one gets harmed. It's our job to make sure it's a safe learning environment, it just comes with the territory.
This. I always tell the handlers to back off and reach in myself. There's a right way and a wrong way to do something and I really don't need a student getting injured by someone's dog or even their own dog in one of my classes. I'll take the hit, or better yet, I'll break up the fight properly and won't have to.

And yes, while these dogs weren't in a fight, there was still tension that could have easily been redirected onto a student grabbing for them.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 01-24-2014, 12:09 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Summer is extra friendly and yeah, it's a thing for us to work through but she really LOVES agility. We do distractions classes and that helps though her real problem is just with people kneeling or sitting at her level. IT does take work but it's doable and actually not that hard. Much easier sometimes than Miss 'I Worry About Everything'.
Oh and on this note, my superfriendly little dog did a sequence last week with people all over the course AND her old instructor (favorite person in the world) knelt down by the tunnel entrance. She kept focused and did GREAT. It can be done!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Oh and on this note, my superfriendly little dog did a sequence last week with people all over the course AND her old instructor (favorite person in the world) knelt down by the tunnel entrance. She kept focused and did GREAT. It can be done!
Woohooo!!!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
This. I always tell the handlers to back off and reach in myself. There's a right way and a wrong way to do something and I really don't need a student getting injured by someone's dog or even their own dog in one of my classes. I'll take the hit, or better yet, I'll break up the fight properly and won't have to.

And yes, while these dogs weren't in a fight, there was still tension that could have easily been redirected onto a student grabbing for them.
Yes, I agree completely with both comments. I would never want, let alone allow, a student to grab another student's dog... no no no no. Honestly, I've had dogs get loose from their handler before and usually they don't even get a chance to try to catch it, because I already have.

The reality of working with animals is that I might get bitten one day... but that's just part of my job. Nobody else should have to take that risk.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Welshies were advertised to me as being reserved with strangers. Also gentle. All lies.

Also, Watson is 90% cured of his desire to run up to other dogs and people during classes. I think part of it is maturity, and part is just learning that doing agility is fun. I thought he would be way worse than he is.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12