Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-24-2014, 09:29 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
The worst part is the owner was saying "Just grab his collar" to me like it was no big deal.
Ugh this drives me nuts. No, how about YOU just come and get your dog! There are two dogs here and one of me!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Glad he is ok .

I'm facing similar issues with my agility... 'club'. We train in a riding arena, and about 3/4 of it is the agility ring, with the other 1/4 being crates, chairs, etc where everyone congregates while one dog is running. There are snow fence on PVC barriers but it's only halfway across. The beginner class was fine, although we had one woman with a dog that was a little snarky, and when the leash was dropped she would run up to other dogs, but Skye and the rest of the dogs were friendly.

Now I'm doing her drop-in class occasionally, with different/more experienced dogs. Skye isn't terribly consistent yet, for the most part she will stay on course, but maybe 1 out of 5 runs she might go visiting (when we are working closer to the people congregating). It's something we are working on. So, even though there are a million crates, two of the people had dog aggressive dogs just standing there on leash...so Skye went visiting during one run, and strolled up to one of them (causing the dog to aggress and lunge). Skye is 'friendly' (and I'm not imagining that, she is just mild around other dogs!), but not lab-like flinging herself in their face, she just approached the other dog. She will not engage in a fight, so the dog aggressed and she backed off, I was right on top of it and collected her. So then after the run I was standing with the other people, I apologized and said I'm working on the 'visiting', but she won't engage another dog in a fight. A girl that had the other DA dog said "Yeah? Well mine will." and rolled her eyes. I didn't say anything but...come on, really? I felt kind of shunned by everyone after that, too.

I just need my own facility to train in . I would really like to work on our issues myself.
That's exactly the set up we have too, though the fencing across the one portion goes the whole way (but like I said, it's not particularly sturdy and a big dog could get through or over it). There are a number of crates people can use, but it seems like only the advanced classes use them because each dog takes much more time to run.

Watson likes to visit and he's doing it less, but still does it sometimes. And I'll freely admit he's kind of obnoxious about it. He can take a hint though. A little terrier snarked at him and now he won't go near that dog or even look at him, even though the terrier wants to be his friend now. I don't know how people with truly DA or untrustworthy dogs wouldn't take more care though and ask other people to leave, or crate their dog between runs. There is a golden in my class who worries me because I can tell the owner doesn't trust him with the others, though so far he hasn't put a foot out of line. I hope Watson doesn't approach him.

That's too bad that they shunned you. At least in my class the general feeling was on my side, not the owner of the bouv, but then the bouv did approach us. I'm glad I can trust Watson not to approach dogs who have proven to be unfriendly, or to start anything, but I guess I can't trust them not to approach us.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Ugh this drives me nuts. No, how about YOU just come and get your dog! There are two dogs here and one of me!
Yes! I can't believe she said that, especially considering the size of her dog. It's not like he's a yorkie.

I also got nailed in the hand while grabbing a dog's collar (my mother-in-law's corgi), so I'm a little gun shy about doing that with dogs I don't know.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

What are the instructors doing while this is happening? Two minutes while a student tries unsuccessfully to catch their dog who just tried to pick a fight with another dog..? If you've got a dog you know will sneak out of the ring, go stand by the ring gate and help the student prevent their dog from getting out of the ring... ughhhhh what.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
What are the instructors doing while this is happening? Two minutes while a student tries unsuccessfully to catch their dog who just tried to pick a fight with another dog..? If you've got a dog you know will sneak out of the ring, go stand by the ring gate and help the student prevent their dog from getting out of the ring... ughhhhh what.
Mine was sitting in a chair behind the gate with her own dog.

I wish this forum wasn't so public, I could really let loose (JessLough, you know what I'm talking about). But the place is 10 minutes away, it's cheap, and I can mostly make the class times.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
The instructor was trying to body block the dog, and started yelling at it to get back. I think she was nervous about grabbing onto him too though. After that she was really vigilant about him so I think she didn't expect him to run away from his owner that first time.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
I am making all kinds of faces right now. What.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Umm, that is ridiculous. Wtf?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am making all kinds of faces right now. What.
It's a drop-in class, she doesn't actually have to instruct .

Haha, I took 12 weeks of 'instructed' classes, my dog has no contacts and no weaves, but hell we are out there running full courses!

Yes, I'm waiting for my schedule to change so I can look into other classes.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Vizsla mom

I didn't realize how lucky I was as a newbie to agility to have permanent access to every piece of AAC equipment at my disposal. Plus, two of us gave $625 each for three nights of training at a barn from end of October until end of April. Crazy!