Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Fable has really gained weight! Her coat quality has improved also. I've been paranoid since we suffered that relapse a while ago, but she is just doing so much better and my heart is so happy!

Now I can take her further into public without worrying someone's going to call AC. :/
Old 01-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
This is how most performance events work- dos entries will be accepted at the club's discretion if the classes don't fill. It's always a chance you take.
Yeah, but usually it says trial limited to xx amount of runs. I looked at the premium again, it doesn't state this, it just says
"Saturday January 18, 2014 10am 2pm
$7 pre registration per run
Pre-Registration accepted until 1/13, Running order will be posted
$8 Day of Registration from 9:30am 11am
4 Gated rings, Rally, Novice, Open, and Utility Obedience offered.
Plenty of crating space available. ". :/

I know, I know, my bad but it still sucks.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm All Ears

I was loved all over by the sweetest, most mellow old lab today. He is the most precious thing ever and was just leaning up against my legs. Softest floppy velvety ears. I'm in love. <3

But I realized I do not need to complain about dog shedding ever again with my dogs. I cuddled him for maybe 15 minutes and my entire leg, side, and arm were covered in blonde hair.

Last edited by Laurelin; 01-18-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Resident fainting goat

Merlin has been being such a jerk with other dogs at the store lately, even puppies (mostly male dogs etc..) some dogs just hate him (I think this is an un-neutered thing) but some like baby puppies he just growls at if they approach him or he approaches them just to growl. He hasn't bitten or anything but

He has been growling and just being such a jerk... he has ALWAYS been so great with other dogs. He's one now, and getting neutered next week but I fear this is going to get worse and I won't be able to bring him to park anymore

He is still fine in open spaces and loves to play at the dog park but at the store... I don't know. I love bringing him to work but he can't come if this behavior continues.

What's weird is that he has friends of all shapes/sizes/sexes that he still LOVES and plays so well with but strange dogs he just has no tolerance for anymore?

It just really stresses me out...I don't know what I did. All his experiences with dogs have been really positive, he loves other dogs what is going on.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Merlin has been being such a jerk with other dogs at the store lately, even puppies (mostly male dogs etc..) some dogs just hate him (I think this is an un-neutered thing) but some like baby puppies he just growls at if they approach him or he approaches them just to growl. He hasn't bitten or anything but

He has been growling and just being such a jerk... he has ALWAYS been so great with other dogs. He's one now, and getting neutered next week but I fear this is going to get worse and I won't be able to bring him to park anymore

He is still fine in open spaces and loves to play at the dog park but at the store... I don't know. I love bringing him to work but he can't come if this behavior continues.

What's weird is that he has friends of all shapes/sizes/sexes that he still LOVES and plays so well with but strange dogs he just has no tolerance for anymore?

It just really stresses me out...I don't know what I did. All his experiences with dogs have been really positive, he loves other dogs what is going on.
Could it be a territorial thing? He could view the store as his, if he is there while other dogs come and go. Just my thought on the matter. Hope for the best for both of you and that he can continue going to the store!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Things I learned on my walk tonight with Bubby, Jari, and Kimma:

-All they really want to do is chase the squirrel in to the tree, not eat it per say. There was a dead squirrel on the sidewalk that I didn't see until they had all gotten to it, and all they did was sniff it and then keep walking.

-Jari will do handstands against poles sometimes when he marks. At least he did it twice tonight. Never seen it before, and I may never see it again. But it was hilarious.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 01-18-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm All Ears

Frna, a lot of the aussies I know are kind of jerky with certain other dogs. Especially some of the males. It may be a maturity thing. Mia used to be much more dog tolerant than she is now. I actually think it is far more common for dogs not to be 100% with all dogs than it is for them to be fine with every dog. So don't think you did anything wrong with him!

In my class today- 2 aussies, english cocker, pap, poo mix and trainer's BC- only the poodle mix has no dog-dog hangups.

He also could be protective of the store if he considers it his space (I hope that makes sense and doesn't sound too dominance hokey).
Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post

Sounds like he's just growing up. ;(

Many herding breeds have a tendency to do that as they mature. Very common in GSDs and Border Collies. Recon has that going on sometimes. We don't meet new friends inside anymore and he's crated at work if there are dogs in the office or kept near.

I don't think it's anything you did/didn't do, so don't worry. Many dogs just don't like being social butterflies all their life.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Sounds like he's just growing up. ;(

Many herding breeds have a tendency to do that as they mature. Very common in GSDs and Border Collies. Recon has that going on sometimes. We don't meet new friends inside anymore and he's crated at work if there are dogs in the office or kept near.

I don't think it's anything you did/didn't do, so don't worry. Many dogs just don't like being social butterflies all their life.
Honestly, if that's what it is and he is still FINE. I'm ok, he doesn't have to be a social butterfly. I just don't want this to snowball or for him to be unhappy...
He does do A LOT better when outside/offleash, the store is quite small and I think that's a part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Frna, a lot of the aussies I know are kind of jerky with certain other dogs. Especially some of the males. It may be a maturity thing. Mia used to be much more dog tolerant than she is now. I actually think it is far more common for dogs not to be 100% with all dogs than it is for them to be fine with every dog. So don't think you did anything wrong with him!

In my class today- 2 aussies, english cocker, pap, poo mix and trainer's BC- only the poodle mix has no dog-dog hangups.

He also could be protective of the store if he considers it his space (I hope that makes sense and doesn't sound too dominance hokey).
I also think that's part of the problem, the store is quite small and I think he is getting touchy about "his space" and there is nowhere to really go when he starts to get uncomfortable :/ I don't know what to do about it.

I am retiring him from the store until after his neuter, some time off should do him good I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacuptiger View Post
Could it be a territorial thing? He could view the store as his, if he is there while other dogs come and go. Just my thought on the matter. Hope for the best for both of you and that he can continue going to the store!
I think that's part of it...

thanks guys for your input...I am a little sad, but he still loves the park, and he is happy at home. I'd love some advice on what to do about the snarking though or what I should watch for.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Silence, peasants.

Feist has been so good this week. She went from getting tons of attention all day to me getting home late and mostly just cuddling her with because I was so tired, and maybe five minutes of trick training, and just took it happily in stride. At 5 months old she has quite the good little off switch. When she's bored she's beginning to entertain herself, and go get a bone and chew on it or play by herself. I just love my puppy.

Feistea, ze Blog