Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I wouldn't assume a pet in a parking lot was from that store, it could have easily wandered over from anywhere or a nearby residential area.
I found three small dogs in the parking lot of Dollar Tree a couple summers ago. Guess what? They were NOT from the store! They were from a house across the street from the store.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
FYI "Amber alert" is the term issued for media when a child is missing. "Code Adam" is a Wal-mart code for missing children. Many stores have their own codes. Target had one, it's a color (all three alerts for various things are colors.) The name, nor details of the expected response by employees, is not made public by most stores nor announced overhead so people don't hear and try to make off with a kid who isn't theirs. I can assure you it doesn't involve running through the store with the kid asking everybody "does this belong to you?"
But a dog is not a child and suggesting they put out a missing child alert for a dog, if I'm understanding that's what you were asking them to do is, um... really bizarre.
I was so confused as to why everyone seemed ok with them calling it an Adam alert when they meant Amber Alert. LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I was so confused as to why everyone seemed ok with them calling it an Adam alert when they meant Amber Alert. LOL
I think they do mean Code Adam - but got confused since "Amber Alert" is what everybody hears, being those go over radio and TV and everything. Most definitely Costco has a "missing/lost child" code but it's not at all going to be the same as an Amber Alert which is issued by, y'know. The police. And not a retail store LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Big Dog

Boy, I apparently did a bad job of explaining myself.

I never expected CostCo to lock the building down to look for Maggie's Mom and Dad. The fact that CostCo does not have a plan in place for children bothered me and it has nothing to do with Maggie. Geeze.

Since they don't have the capability to announce something over a loud speaker, I do not feel like it was unreasonable to ask to take the dog in and look around for her parents. I wasn't going to put her down, I was going to carry her.

And Yes, I know CostCo sells food. I also know they have about a hundred wild birds flying around in there shitting all over the place.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

This thread confuses me .

Old 01-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
This thread confuses me .
You are not alone...
Old 01-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I found three small dogs in the parking lot of Dollar Tree a couple summers ago. Guess what? They were NOT from the store! They were from a house across the street from the store.
I think it depends on the location if the store. There are plenty of retail locations around us that are not anywhere near residential areas, just commercial. It does sound like the dog's owners in this case was a customer of the store.

Honestly, if I found a dog in a parking lot of a store the first thing I would do (provided there was no ID on the dog) is go to the manager/customer service and try to get them to make an announcement. What else would I do? I can't take the dog home with me and I shop during hours most shelters are closed.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 PM
orange iguanas.

I'm super confused about this thread, and what a stray dog has to do with a service dog, and what any of that has to do with missing children.

Next time you find a stray in a parking lot, I think your best bet is to call animal control.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Top Dog

I think asking the store if they can make an announcement is a good idea as a first step, but if there's no PA system I'd just call AC. If I didn't want to wait around I'd put the dog on some sort of a rope or cheap leash, give it to the Costco door person...sayonara.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Since they don't have the capability to announce something over a loud speaker, I do not feel like it was unreasonable to ask to take the dog in and look around for her parents. I wasn't going to put her down, I was going to carry her.
It is absolutely unreasonable to bring a STRAY DOG into Costco. It's not even that it's not a service dog, but that it's not even YOUR dog. You have NO IDEA how the dog will react to anything. I'd have your ass so fast if your stray did anything to my service dog (you know, the dog that would be there legally).

Costco cannot legally allow a pet, let alone a stray, into their store. It's against health code. It doesn't matter if you're carrying it or letting it walk or putting it in the cart. It's a stray dog. Treat it like a stray dog, not like a service odg or a child.