Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 AM
swabby's Avatar
swabby swabby is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
Posts: 105
Default In Spite of CostCo

PSA for shoppers @ COSTCO:

Miserable experience there today.

A little Poodle found her way to me and my parents as we were loading their vehicle.
Lots of GRIEF and LOTS of "I can't do anything" later....2 hours....to be exact, Mommie and Pup were reunited.

ACCORDING to the ONE "manager" that actually took the time out to try and help, The DURHAM N.C. COSTCO has a NO EXCEPTION POLICY about dogs in the building. The "manager" even went so far as to explain to me, that EVEN IF we tried to "sneak the dog in"..."color-coded" vests...etc wouldn't be good enough. THEY REQUIRE "Paperwork" for every dog.

In the Midst of all this, I found out COSTCO MANAGERS don't even know what an ADAM ALERT is. Gal ACTUALLY told me, that the people on the floor... IF they are paying attention and IF they have their "radios" ON...."they" COSTCO takes care of it like that....They just "radio" one another. THEN proceeded to tell me about having a child on her "hip" long enough to process SEVERAL "receiving orders", before the parents showed up.

I am SICK!

SCREW COSTCO!


Maggie back with her Mom:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...psedc7d30e.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 AM
SizzleDog SizzleDog is offline
Lord Cynical
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,367
Default

I'm confused by... all of this.

All I can say is that the local Costco is VERY service dog friendly, follows the law to the T, and is a great place for service dog handlers to visit.

But I'm not sure you're talking about a service dog in this situation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 AM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,520
Default

For some reason I pictured Chris Farley the whole time I read this post.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2014, 01:19 AM
swabby's Avatar
swabby swabby is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I'm confused by... all of this.

All I can say is that the local Costco is VERY service dog friendly, follows the law to the T, and is a great place for service dog handlers to visit.

But I'm not sure you're talking about a service dog in this situation.
The manager told me point blank...she didn't care IF you had harnesses and all. IF, you did not have notarized paperwork with you, your service dog was not welcome & you are SOL.

TRUE, I don't have kids, but the very FACT they don't have an "Adam Alert" in place concerns me.

Secondly....ALL I wanted to do, was walk through the building and ask...until I found Maggie's Mom and Dad. With NO PA system in place, I consider that the VERY least they could have done.

ADAM ALERT! Surely, I am not the only one posting to be on lock-down...until an errant 5-y-o was corralled in WalMart. Yet, there were cheers for all.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2014, 01:25 AM
SizzleDog SizzleDog is offline
Lord Cynical
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabby View Post
The manager told me point blank...she didn't care IF you had harnesses and all. IF, you did not have notarized paperwork with you, your service dog was not welcome & you are SOL.
Which means the manager would be violating federal law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabby View Post
TRUE, I don't have kids, but the very FACT they don't have an "Adam Alert" in place concerns me.

Secondly....ALL I wanted to do, was walk through the building and ask...until I found Maggie's Mom and Dad. With NO PA system in place, I consider that the VERY least they could have done.

ADAM ALERT! Surely, I am not the only one posting to be on lock-down...until an errant 5-y-o was corralled in WalMart. Yet, there were cheers for all.
A Code Adam would not apply in the case of a missing dog. A dog is not a human child. Since the poodle was A.) not a child, and B.) not a service dog, the manager was completely within her rights to bar the dog from her store, even for you to walk through the building in an effort to find its owner.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 AM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Which means the manager would be violating federal law.



A Code Adam would not apply in the case of a missing dog. A dog is not a human child. Since the poodle was A.) not a child, and B.) not a service dog, the manager was completely within her rights to bar the dog from her store, even for you to walk through the building in an effort to find its owner.
All this. All of it. I see nothing wrong with what happened. If you find a dog in the parking lot, either wait outside, or go home and post it on Craigslist/whatever else.

A harness, vest, or "paperwork" do not make a dog a service dog. Being individually trained to performs tasks or work for the disabled handlers makes a dog a service dog. I don't know where you get this "notarized paperwork" thing from.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-18-2014, 02:49 AM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,520
Default

FYI "Amber alert" is the term issued for media when a child is missing. "Code Adam" is a Wal-mart code for missing children. Many stores have their own codes. Target had one, it's a color (all three alerts for various things are colors.) The name, nor details of the expected response by employees, is not made public by most stores nor announced overhead so people don't hear and try to make off with a kid who isn't theirs. I can assure you it doesn't involve running through the store with the kid asking everybody "does this belong to you?"
But a dog is not a child and suggesting they put out a missing child alert for a dog, if I'm understanding that's what you were asking them to do is, um... really bizarre.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 AM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is online now
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,018
Default

I wouldn't expect them to lock the building down or even let me bring the dog in, but making an announcement over the PA seems the least they could do. Not everyone can just bring a found dog home with them, but you don't want to just leave the dog running around the parking lot...
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 AM
MilliesMom's Avatar
MilliesMom MilliesMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 318
Default

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you put the store manager on defensive. They sell food, of course you can't just wander around with a dog, especially a stray dog. Service dogs are trained not to do things stray dogs will do.

"The "manager" even went so far as to explain to me, that EVEN IF we tried to "sneak the dog in"..."color-coded" vests...etc wouldn't be good enough. THEY REQUIRE "Paperwork" for every dog." If this was his reaction to you saying "but what about service dogs?" just after the conversation about letting you in to find the owners, then yeah, I can understand it. They probably don't require paperwork, but he'd ask for some kind of proof if you came back with a vest on the poodle.

As far as the Adam Alert announcement, that's a WalMart publicity thing. I work in retail and Beanie's right, most stores don't publicize their codes. But there's somebody at ever exit at Costco and everybody's got radios. You couldn't even wander out with an extra tube of toothpaste, let alone a child in your cart.

If somebody lost their dog, they wouldn't be cruising the aisles of Costco looking for it, they'd ask at the front. You notified the management, that was the best idea. Glad you persisted and found the owners, that's what really counts.

Btw, a stray dog in a parking lot, it really could have come from anywhere.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-18-2014, 08:09 AM
xpaeanx's Avatar
xpaeanx xpaeanx is offline
<----Thanks Allie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilliesMom View Post
I hate to say it, but it sounds like you put the store manager on defensive. They sell food, of course you can't just wander around with a dog, especially a stray dog. Service dogs are trained not to do things stray dogs will do.

"The "manager" even went so far as to explain to me, that EVEN IF we tried to "sneak the dog in"..."color-coded" vests...etc wouldn't be good enough. THEY REQUIRE "Paperwork" for every dog." If this was his reaction to you saying "but what about service dogs?" just after the conversation about letting you in to find the owners, then yeah, I can understand it. They probably don't require paperwork, but he'd ask for some kind of proof if you came back with a vest on the poodle.

As far as the Adam Alert announcement, that's a WalMart publicity thing. I work in retail and Beanie's right, most stores don't publicize their codes. But there's somebody at ever exit at Costco and everybody's got radios. You couldn't even wander out with an extra tube of toothpaste, let alone a child in your cart.

If somebody lost their dog, they wouldn't be cruising the aisles of Costco looking for it, they'd ask at the front. You notified the management, that was the best idea. Glad you persisted and found the owners, that's what really counts.

Btw, a stray dog in a parking lot, it really could have come from anywhere.
I have to agree with this 100%.

I wouldn't assume a pet in a parking lot was from that store, it could have easily wandered over from anywhere or a nearby residential area.

And it sounds like you wanted him to use Costcos child alert system for a dog? I understand wanting to find the dogs, but you can't use a child alert on a dog. That devalues the alert. And besides the fact that the health department does not allow animals inside buildings that sell food, many regular retail stores do not allow animals. So it's not at all surprising they wouldn't allow a dog in let alone a stray.

And yes, you probably put him on the defensive. I work for a company that allows dogs for a fee, I can't tell you how many people try to say their dog is a service dog so they don't have to pay and it very obviously is not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site