Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Active Pup

Default Groomer to teach me

Is it reasonable to ask a groomer to teach me to groom my own dog? I understand this, long-term, removes potential income from the groomer. I've never used a pro groomer, nor will I.

I would pay for her time, of course. If so, how do you suggest I ask? There are a few grooming shops around plus a couple mobile units. I don't know how to research who to ask. Maybe a mobile or in-home business would be more suitable to this special request?

I have a Papillon and a Lab-like mix. I would want this person to walk me through bathing, drying, and combing on my dog, and also reviewing my supplies.

I guess I could ask the Pap's breeder but I'd also like tips on how best to blow out the Lab and deshedding. The breeder's show goals are more hair and weekly baths; my pet goals are less hair and baths .
Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Puppy Dog

A lot of what you're looking for could be done online, such as reviewing your supplies, tips for de-shedding your lab, etc.

I don't know if you could get a groomer to walk you through grooming your dogs. Maybe if you were friends with them. But I guess anything's possible, so all you can do is call around and ask. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to ask that, since it's pretty out of the ordinary.

But feel free to post your grooming equipment here, we can give you feedback and any tips that might help.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Puppy Dog

There's a lot of tutorials on the internet for you to watch also.