Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-10-2014, 12:12 PM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Are you moving tomorrow? Because you can get your license in a day, at least a temporary.
Not an option, unfortunately
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM
AmberD's Avatar
AmberD AmberD is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Flint, Mich.
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
well if someone wants to offer but needs more money then we can probably talk. telling me all the reasons this wont work and why im an idiot isnt helpful. i dont have the option to just not move, so whatever i need to do to make this happen, be it leave everything i own behind, be it pay more than i can reasonably afford, i have to do it.
My intentions were to be helpful, not to suggest you were an idiot. It's going to be hard to find someone to spend two days driving you somewhere if you're offering $100 as compensation. Also, you'll want to have a better idea of what you need to budget for so you're ready when that time comes. I have driven to NYC and Connecticut a few times in the past, which is approximately the same distance. My gas budget is usually around $300 (I don't keep exact numbers though), but that includes minimal driving around town for a day or two. Also, some of your route is via the Ohio Turnpike, so figure in tolls both ways.

I try to help when I can. I could not take two days off, especially on such short notice. I live alone and couldn't leave the pets for that long. Also, when I drove to NYC/CT, I shared driving responsibilities. Driving 3, 4, 5 hours is mind numbing. And exhausting. I couldn't do a ten hour drive, crash, and do it all over the next day. However, depending on the day, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to driving part of the way. I could get you to Sandusky, OH... maybe as far as the Cleveland area. It'd be a 4-hour drive one way for me, so I would be gone about the same time as if I was at work. Or if you did find someone travelling beneath Michigan, I could probably give you a lift to Toledo.

There's a lot of things to think about that can be helpful. People pointing out that your calculations are vastly unrealistic and mentioning things you hadn't considered (overnight stay, how long your average person can drive in a straight line, vehicle wear & tear, the inability to cut through Ontario, etc) are in no way attempts to call you an idiot.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 PM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 888
Default

Noted, thank you Amber. Im looking at feb or if I can manage to drag my heels and delay that long, March 1ish. either way is just delaying the inevitable, but hopefully gives me time to save more money
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 AM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 888
Default

Sorry to bump old news, but Iv been thinking more about this and doing more research, and I HAD been pricing rental cars for a one way trip, Detroit to Albany, and Enterprise quoted me $300 something-- but that doesnt help my driver get back to MI, so I looked at roundtrip rentals and they are actually much less, $208 for an SUV like a Ford Escape. Which would fit all my stuff save the bed and bike. So do you all think this might be a good option to persue, pay for a car rental and hotel, and then pay the driver extra for their driving? If I can get the whole thing under 400 I think Id be able to manage that and still come out the other side with rent money
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-16-2014, 02:02 PM
noludoru's Avatar
noludoru noludoru is offline
Bored Now.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 17,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I'd be wanting more than gas money and snacks if I was driving my boyfriend over 1000 miles, never mind a stranger!!!!

I'd want gas money, all food, money towards wear and tear to my car and overnight provisions at a MINIMUM!

#notfeelingverycharitable
I love how you jump into a thread where everyone in here is trying to figure out how to say a hard truth in a super nice way and just SLAM it with what everyone else is trying to say but can't quite say nicely. My hero.

Frostfell, I'm just going to throw this one out there, but I don't think you're going to find a chazzer willing to do this. Definitely not for $300 bucks when we've already proven that a rental is cheaper and easier. Getting a DL takes a day and costs less than $100. Renting a truck will be cheaper, and you wont be begging for rides on a forum. Go do that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha's pet View Post
And it's a turbo so it gets good mileage.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-16-2014, 02:14 PM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I love how you jump into a thread where everyone in here is trying to figure out how to say a hard truth in a super nice way and just SLAM it with what everyone else is trying to say but can't quite say nicely. My hero.

Frostfell, I'm just going to throw this one out there, but I don't think you're going to find a chazzer willing to do this. Definitely not for $300 bucks when we've already proven that a rental is cheaper and easier. Getting a DL takes a day and costs less than $100. Renting a truck will be cheaper, and you wont be begging for rides on a forum. Go do that.
err yes, thats what i kind of just said, minus the me driving part. i cant get a license. thats just not an option. whats wrong with brainstorming with chazzers to find a solution? this board has already helped refine my plans and what i can and cant do, by pointing out things. shove the nastiness, im not *begging* for anything. im more than prepared to pay for whatever needs paying for, whatever i am made aware of needs paying for. im not begging for ****ing charity. forgive me for never having moved across state lines by car before, and not really knowing what all goes into it, like tolls and road fatigue
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is online now
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
i cant get a license. thats just not an option.
Why not?
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-16-2014, 03:33 PM
DJEtzel's Avatar
DJEtzel DJEtzel is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 2,783
Default

Humanity kind of saddens me.

People donate tons of time, money, and wear/tear on their cars to transport dogs all over the country. People donate money for gas for a dog they don't know to get pulled/transported from a shelter.

But they think helping a HUMAN out is a waste of time and ridiculous to fathom unless heavily compensated?

I just... don't understand. OP, if I had the money for an oil change and some extra for making a trip, I would help you out. My car isn't the most reliable unfortunately. :/
__________________

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-16-2014, 04:17 PM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Humanity kind of saddens me.

People donate tons of time, money, and wear/tear on their cars to transport dogs all over the country. People donate money for gas for a dog they don't know to get pulled/transported from a shelter.

But they think helping a HUMAN out is a waste of time and ridiculous to fathom unless heavily compensated?

I just... don't understand. OP, if I had the money for an oil change and some extra for making a trip, I would help you out. My car isn't the most reliable unfortunately. :/
Thanks, you Im not in panic mode yet but we will see. Wear and tear is why I think paying for a rental just for this is going to be the best option for me, provided I can rope somebody into being pilot

Beanie, reasons. Not going to get into it, just not an option right now for me
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-16-2014, 05:59 PM
noludoru's Avatar
noludoru noludoru is offline
Bored Now.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 17,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
err yes, thats what i kind of just said, minus the me driving part. i cant get a license. thats just not an option. whats wrong with brainstorming with chazzers to find a solution? this board has already helped refine my plans and what i can and cant do, by pointing out things. shove the nastiness, im not *begging* for anything. im more than prepared to pay for whatever needs paying for, whatever i am made aware of needs paying for. im not begging for ****ing charity. forgive me for never having moved across state lines by car before, and not really knowing what all goes into it, like tolls and road fatigue
You driving involves you not expecting someone else to do it. You've posted publicly about how broke you are and how you can't pay your bills, there's reason #1 it's unlikely. Even if I lived 5 minutes away from you and you got a rental, I'd never be certain enough about it to do it. The person with valid, full-coverage insurance and a valid DL is the one on the hook there.

The only way you can't get a DL is if there's a physical disability or you've done enough stupid stuff to get it taken away.

Second, the other reason I say it's unlikely that a chazzer would help you is because you're a BYB who breeds dogs with questionable conformation and no health testing. This is a board of dog lovers, and everyone on here saw that thread. Yes, we're willing to help rescue dog transports and even keep those dogs in our homes and feed and care for them. But you're the one planning to breed those dogs! I don't feel any great warmth to you because of that, and I doubt I'm in the minority.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha's pet View Post
And it's a turbo so it gets good mileage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site