Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Default Future Dog

Sadly, I may be loosing a member of my pack sooner then a thought. Deputy is starting to decline (vet is still not sure what is happening and is still running tests) so I have started thinking about the next one.

I have a genetic condition that causes me to have issues with my joints (pain, subluxation,etc) and so I want to get a dog under 50lbs. I will most likely be getting this dog from a shelter, but would like some suggestions of breeds/mixes that would suite me best.

What I need:

1. Where I live it gets up into the 100s in the summer, so the dog needs to not have problems with heat. The dog will be kept inside, but I don't want to worry about him/her while out on a walk.
2. I have 50+ acres behind my house that the dogs run off leash with me from Feb-Sept and after that (or if the dog can't be trusted off leash) I also have a 3 acre fenced in pasture the dog can zoom around in.
3. I have cats, so no insane prey drive.
4. I would really like a breed(s) with few health issues (ie: doxie backs, cocker ears, GSD hips, etc).
5. Not prone to DA.
6. No professional grooming.

Deputy, 2007 Zane, 2008 Abby, 2008, Kieber, 2013
Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm All Ears

Maybe a rat terrier type mix? Or a spaniel (though some need grooming).
Old 01-13-2014, 09:48 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

If you are planning to adopt an adult (or young adult) mix...I honestly think just about any good muttly will do the trick, as long as you know their personality before hand. Go into it looking for a short coated, social, handler oriented, cat tested, dog friendly dog that doesn't have a history of health issues. I think a generic retriever, spaniel, herding cross breed of some kind would be a good place to start.

Like her!

(http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/27456607/)

Or him!

(http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/27462982/)

If you are interested in a young puppy and plan to rescue, things get a little more complicated because you don't know exactly what the pup is or what his adult temperament will be like. But otherwise...I'd go off of the dog itself, not its mix.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
If you are planning to adopt an adult (or young adult) mix...I honestly think just about any good muttly will do the trick, as long as you know their personality before hand. Go into it looking for a short coated, social, handler oriented, cat tested, dog friendly dog that doesn't have a history of health issues. I think a generic retriever, spaniel, herding cross breed of some kind would be a good place to start.

Like her!

(http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/27456607/)

Or him!

(http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/27462982/)

If you are interested in a young puppy and plan to rescue, things get a little more complicated because you don't know exactly what the pup is or what his adult temperament will be like. But otherwise...I'd go off of the dog itself, not its mix.
Those look nice! To bad I'm not ready and in a different state.

What is the best way to pick out a dog in a shelter environment? The last dog I adopted was a private re home.

The shelter I'm planning to go to (hopefully way, way in the future) allows you 20-30min with each dog you choose. What are some things I should do/watch for?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRanger View Post

I have a genetic condition that causes me to have issues with my joints (pain, subluxation,etc) and so I want to get a dog under 50lbs.
I have EDSIII subluxations SUCK sometimes worse than full dislocations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRanger View Post
1. Where I live it gets up into the 100s in the summer, so the dog needs to not have problems with heat. The dog will be kept inside, but I don't want to worry about him/her while out on a walk.
2. I have 50+ acres behind my house that the dogs run off leash with me from Feb-Sept and after that (or if the dog can't be trusted off leash) I also have a 3 acre fenced in pasture the dog can zoom around in.
3. I have cats, so no insane prey drive.
4. I would really like a breed(s) with few health issues (ie: doxie backs, cocker ears, GSD hips, etc).
5. Not prone to DA.
6. No professional grooming.
I agree with the muttly suggestion have you looked at the rescues that foster in your area as well as shelters? You more likely to know prior to adoption in they are cat safe.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLeigh View Post
I have EDSIII subluxations SUCK sometimes worse than full dislocations.

I agree with the muttly suggestion have you looked at the rescues that foster in your area as well as shelters? You more likely to know prior to adoption in they are cat safe.
Yep, we have the same condition.

The problem with rescues is, I'm still trying to talk my mom into allowing a home visit. She is convinced that they will turn us down based on the area we live in and the condition of the house(area is low-income, house is basically a trailer with additions built on circa 1960). Our home is by no means a dump. My mom vacuums every other day (retired vet on disability) and we rent from a man who refuses to fix anything without a fight. She is also paranoid about allowing strange people in the home. I have to live with them do to a combination of disabilities, EDSIII + Brain Damage.

I have two dogs and three cats, my parents have one dog and three cats. I take care of all the medical/training/exercising of my dogs, plus I exercise my their dog. Plus we have livestock: 9 goats, 5 chickens and a miniature horse. The area we live in looks like a third world country and our landlord has declared himself a "slum lord".

Old 01-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Taxiderpy

Have you looked into a lacy or maybe a lacy mix? They're under 50 lbs and fit a lot of your parameters. You should be able to find one locally when you're ready.

and (((hugs))). So sorry to hear about Deputy. I hope that they figure out what's wrong and you get more time with him.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Have you looked into a lacy or maybe a lacy mix? They're under 50 lbs and fit a lot of your parameters. You should be able to find one locally when you're ready.

and (((hugs))). So sorry to hear about Deputy. I hope that they figure out what's wrong and you get more time with him.
What are Lacy's like? I've heard different people around me talking about them, but have never got to be around one.

Thank you, I'm always worried that he's hiding pain/discomfort from us. The vet palpated everything that could possibly be palpated, but still I worry.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Lacy are much like other curs, gritty, can be sharp, high energy HIGH drive. The ones I know do well in their family pack and with people they know well but aloof-suspicious of people they dont. Very devoted and biddable not a soft breed by any means. And over all very healthy.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm All Ears

The lacys I know are all hog dogs except for my agility trainer's. I agree, high drive, high energy, not the best pet breed in my mind.