Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Top Dog

Default Future Dog

Sadly, I may be loosing a member of my pack sooner then a thought. Deputy is starting to decline (vet is still not sure what is happening and is still running tests) so I have started thinking about the next one.

I have a genetic condition that causes me to have issues with my joints (pain, subluxation,etc) and so I want to get a dog under 50lbs. I will most likely be getting this dog from a shelter, but would like some suggestions of breeds/mixes that would suite me best.

What I need:

1. Where I live it gets up into the 100s in the summer, so the dog needs to not have problems with heat. The dog will be kept inside, but I don't want to worry about him/her while out on a walk.
2. I have 50+ acres behind my house that the dogs run off leash with me from Feb-Sept and after that (or if the dog can't be trusted off leash) I also have a 3 acre fenced in pasture the dog can zoom around in.
3. I have cats, so no insane prey drive.
4. I would really like a breed(s) with few health issues (ie: doxie backs, cocker ears, GSD hips, etc).
5. Not prone to DA.
6. No professional grooming.