Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Equinox, male hogs generally get no longer than about 24 inches.
I was kind of surprised at how small that turns out to be. The male I held wasn't entirely full grown, I just expected it to be bigger than it was.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Equinox, male hogs generally get no longer than about 24 inches.
Oh wow, I knew they were small but I didn't know they could be that small! That makes them even more adorable.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Now that I'm home and able to get on my actual computer I can finally respond to this thread... didn't want to attempt to on my phone.

Corn snakes make GREAT first time snakes. They are fairly easy keepers and very friendly. I've had a couple and really enjoyed them. Will probably get back into corn snakes eventually.

My last ball was a little tougher... mainly because he was prone to going on hunger strikes even with his set up maintained correctly and plenty of hides.

In a week or two my new girl will be coming home. I'm finally getting my dream snake... hog island boa. Hog islands usually tend to max out around 4-6 feet so they are considered dwarf boas, but that is provided you get a purebred one.

Meet my new girl... at this point her name might be Cyra... but still debating on names. She is still a baby. She also is pure bred and she has really nice pinking.

Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 01-13-2014, 10:45 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I've never ever been a fan of snakes, but I do really like corn snakes and hognoses. I think corns get too big for me but I could definitely see myself with a little male hognose one day. They are too precious!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Top Dog

Skittledoo - she's GORGEOUS! Love the coloring! And something about a Boa head is just awesome. Size isn't bad, either. Are they thicker snakes full grown?

Thoughts on terrariums? Traditional aquarium, front opening, make my own out of wood or something..? I want to start gathering things for the enclosure.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
I've never ever been a fan of snakes, but I do really like corn snakes and hognoses. I think corns get too big for me but I could definitely see myself with a little male hognose one day. They are too precious!
I really couldn't get over how small they were in comparison to what I had in my head! They're too cute.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Skittledoo - she's GORGEOUS! Love the coloring! And something about a Boa head is just awesome. Size isn't bad, either. Are they thicker snakes full grown?

Thoughts on terrariums? Traditional aquarium, front opening, make my own out of wood or something..? I want to start gathering things for the enclosure.

They do tend to be thicker snakes full grown, but I don't think she will be super thick or anything, definitely thicker than say a corn snake though. A full grown boa can be as round and thick as a grown man's thigh, but since she is a smaller type of boa and will wind up being approximately half the length I don't think she will be super thick.

I'm not really a big fan of glass aquariums being used for snakes. That said... I used them for my corn snakes with no issues. I guess the more I've been reading about boas the more I've been reading over and over again that full glass enclosures aren't ideal especially with snakes that need to have humidity.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle