Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2014, 09:48 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Tell me about rabbits!

We've started to see quite a few rabbits in at work and now I'm interested. I've never owned a rabbit before...my only exposure to rabbits was a friend's meat rabbits that she raised for 4H (they were Californians) and a class pet's rabbit (generic rabbit) that was kept in way too small of a cage and not given proper care, which in turn made him irritable and cranky (he liked to kick and bite). They were never a pet I was really interested in, but now that I've been able to interact with a few more, my curiosity has been piqued! Michael grew up with Holland Lops, and I know he loves rabbits in general, so one may be a pet in our future. That being said, I'd also like to own ferrets again and I do NOT want to own ferrets and a prey animal (that needs floor time) at the same time ever again...so we'll see which one happens first.

I know about the husbandry rabbits require. (Diet, cage size, appropriate bedding, litter box training, etc., etc.) What I don't know anything about is their personality, what having them as a pet is like, and what the differences are in personality for the various breeds.

I have to say, I've always loved the looks of Holland Lops, and since that is the breed Mike grew up with, if we were to get a rabbit that is likely what we'd get. But I've seen a few dwarf rabbits come in to work and OMG ARE THEY FREAKING CUTE. But I think I remember reading somewhere, or someone telling me, that the larger the rabbit the more calm it is? On the flip side, I imagine housing a larger rabbit is much more difficult due to just the basic enclosure size it would need.

So, those of you with rabbits....tell me about them!

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~