Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

And while its not the same thing I will throw out there that we had a nissan spec v that got hit almost head on by a giant chevy diesel truck and it drove away from it and my husband was just shooken up. The truck smashed in. I give nissan a lot for that! I don't in general feel safe in smaller cars and hate to be in our beater but that thing held up! the ins company didn't even total it(though they probably should have) and I still see the car and it had over 100,000 when we sold it.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I drive an insane amount of miles per year, and tend to eat through cars quickly so I don't know all the specifics for past cars.

What I can tell you is that my Ford Focus is now at 230k and runs like a top. It might help that I seriously baby my cars. My Taurus(RIP) only had 160k and wasn't even close to tired... /sigh. Stupid Hurricane.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

We sold my husband's old Honda Accord for $800 when the odometer read 270,000 miles!! I was surprised someone was buying it

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

My little brother had a 1985 Ford Ranger that he bought super cheap. He drove it for a year, and although it broke down regularly, it was always a cheap and easy fix. He only got rid of it because some drunkard ran into it and pushed it halfway down the block one night while we were all sleeping. Even then he just hammered the metal bits out of the way and drove it to the scrapyard...where they fixed it all up, since we still see it around town.

I currently have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and it's fine - a bit loud, and it needs a few things like a CV axle and a rear differential gasket (which I have, but it's been too gross out to fix it), but nothing major with the engine or anything. The only time it's failed to start is when the battery died (granted I've only had it a few months, but my brother had it before then). The body damage says it's been in a few scuffles. I do, however, want to try to trade it for a V6. This V8 is a beast and gets only 10mpg. But I'm so in love with it, I haven't had the heart to post it on Craigslist yet. Now that tax time's approaching, I think I'll give it a go. It's fairly low-miles for an almost-20-year-old car.

Last edited by Saeleofu; 01-10-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:48 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

My "first" car was my dad's old '89 Geo Prizm. He bought it new when my brother was born and it was my brother's first car, then my first car. It literally had NO problems (besides the crank windows getting off their track at one point or another, so they didn't work). It went caput around 250k...dad was slowing down to turn at a light on the highway and it completely locked up. Luckily he was only going about 30mph at the time and he was able to get it off the road, or that could have been very bad. But it was a great little car!

My actual first car that was "mine" was a '98 Oldesmobile Intrigue (had enough features on it that at times I think it was better equipped than my 2013 base model Honda LOL). Sun roof, 12 disc CD player, automatic climate control, multiple speed windshield wiper...I traded it in as the down payment for my lease car about three years ago now. I had about 220k on it. That last year with it was rough, and my dad dropped about $1500 in repairs on it...but I loved that car. I still miss it.

I'm currently driving a 2013 Honda Civic. So far so good, but I have less than 2k on it. I put just over 40k on my 2011 lease and I didn't have any issues. I'm hoping this Civic will last as long as my prior two cars and I intend to drive it into the ground unless we need to trade up to a bigger vehicle when kids come around.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

My 1st car was a 1994 Honda Civic that I got new. I couldn't drive it when I bought it, but I was determined to buy a standard, so I learned how to drive stick on it. I finally got rid of it in 2010....it had 220,000 miles and still had its original clutch.

It ran great for all of its 16 years, with only regular maintenance. I didn't drive it the last few months I had it, so when I went to donate it, I told them it needed to be towed because the battery had died while it had just been sitting. When the driver came to tow it, he tried to jump it first. It started right up and he just drove it on to the tow truck. I almost ran after him to get it back. I still wish I would have kept it just to see how long it would have lasted!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
My actual first car that was "mine" was a '98 Oldesmobile Intrigue
That's what my last car was! It had a moon roof but no other extra features. But man, it was COMFORTABLE. Most comfortable seats I've ever sat in in a car. It was also nothing but problems. My brother has it now (traded it for the Jeep) and he's put a couple thousand dollars of repairs into it and it STILL leaks coolant. He refuses to believe it probably has a blown head, but...meh, not my problem anymore

My Jeep is ridiculously technologically advanced for its time. It has a monitor that shows me all sorts of stuff from mpg, avg mpg, distance to empty, temp/direction, what fluids I'm low on, what doors are open, etc - remember this is a car from 1996. It's crazy. And the only thing "off" about the display is that sometimes it'll go pixelated or blank when it's humid out. It's also got power seats, automatic climate control (it even waits to turn on until my car is warmed up so it doesn't blow cold air on me!), etc. None of my cars have had cool features like this. AND IT'S SO OLD. Blows my mind. In 1996 I still had a DOS-only computer.

My shortest-lived car was a very nice 2005 Taurus that I bought in January 2007. It was totaled in July 2007 by an idiot that was reading her bible instead of stopping at a stop light. If not for that idiot, I'd probably still have my Taurus and be in a much better position car-wise than I am now. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

Our Toyota Camry is from 2000 and has I think around 150k on it. Might be more but it's my mom's car. Never had any issues other than physical damage with it! It's still going strong and being used everyday.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

300.000 on my sr something twin cam toyota corolla..best car I ever had, and never ever should have parted with it. Family decision I should give it up, because "who knows how much longer it will last" drove the car to u wrench it thinking this is wrong. Just wrong wrong wrong. IT took more in crap car replacements then it would have to rebuild the motor when it did die. Incredible gas mil;age and drove like a dream. Never ever used oil. Haven't had anything as good since.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

We've always owned Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, and Mazdas.

My parents had a little Toyota truck they bought new in '88, and they sold it 10 years later with almost 200,000 miles on it. Still ran great and I want to say they got about $2500 for it.

My husband's Honda civic started in my family. It's a '97, has 207,000 miles on it, and is still going strong. It's our beater but **** reliable.

All of the other family cars are at 100, 000 miles or less, but we drive them into the ground, typically.