Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Working on wing wraps with the boys again, largely to teach P not to blind cross me and to start teaching Auggie some better behaviors as far as choosing his path around the course. Payton is doing great and starting to get the idea. Auggie is still trying to figure out I want him to go around the cone and not hit it with his paws. He's catching on. :P I bet if I used an actual wing he would catch on faster but I'm not sure teaching it on something NOT agility associated isn't the point right now. We'll see how long my theory on that lasts...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Top Dog

We started Advanced Beginners last night and it was a surprisingly good class. There were twice as many dogs as our previous class, and the exercises were definitely a step up, but Watson did well. He did take off to do a couple "Whee!" laps, and to check out a dog (9 month old female pup who was more wild than him - just his type!), but each time he was able to come back quickly and focus enough to complete the short sequence.

The class started with things like jump-jump-tunnel and we ended up with things like A frame-jump-jump-tunnel-tire, with a super awkward baby front cross thrown in. The more challenging it got, the more Watson actually paid attention and thought things through. Maybe he's better than I give him credit for, but just needed more of a challenge? He was also very good with most equipment and was one of the only dogs to dive into the curved tunnel every time (most dogs tried to follow their owners instead of going into the tunnel).

His only equipment issue at this point (not counting teeter and weaves which we've done very little work on) are jumps. I think he has a slight soreness in one paw (no limping, just occasionally holds it up), but that doesn't stop him from jumping on and off our bed parkour style every day. I think he's just not sure what to do about jumps as they're not something solid he can jump on top of. Before he was trying to run around them, but now he gets really slow and stares at them for a couple seconds before jumping, like he's thinking very hard about what to do.

What can I work on to help with this? He's only jumping 8-12", so it's more about the jump itself than the athletic effort required. I don't have a jump at home yet, but once I get one what should I work on? Just sending him back and forth over a very low jump so he can get comfortable with it?

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Top Dog

Also, there was a 3 legged beagle in the class who was awesome. I wanted to steal her.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

Carma started agility this week. She had a blast. Our trainer really likes her and had us doing some exercises that were a bit more advanced than the others dogs in the class, which I thought was awesome. Just basic stuff like tire - tunnel and some jumps. She's so obedient and fast and insanely full of drive that I think we will have a lot of fun. Only issue that our trainer sees us possibly having soon is the whole right sided work thing. We are so conditioned to our left sided obedience! Lol. I'm already so excited for next Wednesday.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
His only equipment issue at this point (not counting teeter and weaves which we've done very little work on) are jumps. I think he has a slight soreness in one paw (no limping, just occasionally holds it up), but that doesn't stop him from jumping on and off our bed parkour style every day. I think he's just not sure what to do about jumps as they're not something solid he can jump on top of. Before he was trying to run around them, but now he gets really slow and stares at them for a couple seconds before jumping, like he's thinking very hard about what to do.

What can I work on to help with this? He's only jumping 8-12", so it's more about the jump itself than the athletic effort required. I don't have a jump at home yet, but once I get one what should I work on? Just sending him back and forth over a very low jump so he can get comfortable with it?
Jump work. Just because a dog can jump doesn't mean a dog knows how to jump. There's a variety of different jump program/methodologies out there: Susan Salo, Linda Mecklenburg, Suzanne Clothier, Chris Zink has a book too but I haven't read it so I'm not sure the details of that. Pick one and start working on it, definitely. There has been much discussion on a couple different threads here and I'm pretty sure at least once in this thread itself on jump methodologies and I'm sure there are lots of other reviews online too of the various methods.
And I would drop the jumps down really low right now, like 4", until you have been able to make some progress with a jumping program.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Jump work. Just because a dog can jump doesn't mean a dog knows how to jump. There's a variety of different jump program/methodologies out there: Susan Salo, Linda Mecklenburg, Suzanne Clothier, Chris Zink has a book too but I haven't read it so I'm not sure the details of that. Pick one and start working on it, definitely. There has been much discussion on a couple different threads here and I'm pretty sure at least once in this thread itself on jump methodologies and I'm sure there are lots of other reviews online too of the various methods.
And I would drop the jumps down really low right now, like 4", until you have been able to make some progress with a jumping program.
Thank you! I will look into those. I have the book "Agility Right from the Start", but haven't read to the jumping portions so I'll have to see what they say too. I'll also look for the threads.

I jumped horses for many years and I know that teaching a horse to jump is complicated (additionally so because of a rider), but so far we haven't done much work teaching the dogs to actually use their bodies to jump well and I wasn't sure how to do that. We did start with just a pole on the ground, and then 4", but he's still kind of weird about it and I need to approach it more systematically. There are plenty of little dogs in the class, so I'll make sure we take our turn at their jump height for now, instead of with the 12" dog. Our instructor is good at putting the jumps down when dogs seem unsure.

At least this week he seemed to understand to go through the jump standards instead of around. I remember our third or fourth class where I was standing at the jump standard and popping him back and forth over a 4" jump (basically luring). Instead of jumping, he ran all the way around the jump, the long way, and then sat in front of me for his treat.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Agility Right From The Start doesn't go into actually teaching a dog how to jump if I remember right.
Since you jumped horses I think you will do best with either Clothier or Salo. Both of them have their background in horses and both of them developed their method based off teaching horses how to jump. It should make total sense to you!

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-10-2014, 10:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Agility Right From The Start doesn't go into actually teaching a dog how to jump if I remember right.
Since you jumped horses I think you will do best with either Clothier or Salo. Both of them have their background in horses and both of them developed their method based off teaching horses how to jump. It should make total sense to you!
Thanks! I love Clothier's writing in general, so I'll start with her method.

Hopefully I can do some of this stuff in a small space indoors. I have plenty of outdoor area, but none of it is fenced and Watson isn't reliable.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Hmm, there are some of Susan Salo's exercises you could do in a small space but Clothier requires long jump chutes, and eventually Susan Salo needs jump chutes as well. Will the place you take classes at let you rent their ring maybe?

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Hmm, there are some of Susan Salo's exercises you could do in a small space but Clothier requires long jump chutes, and eventually Susan Salo needs jump chutes as well. Will the place you take classes at let you rent their ring maybe?
Not sure about the agility club, but my obedience place has jumps and plenty of space. I'm there every Saturday for nosework, so I'll ask the owner if I could rent the space for 20min or so before nosework class.

I could use my yard if I can do some things on a long line.

We have focused on jumping exercises in agility class occasionally, but obviously we can't focus on every thing every week, so anything I can do on my own would be awesome.

Oh, I just remembered that a nearby housing development has some brand new tennis courts. Assuming they don't lock those for home owners only, I wanted to use them for dog training and they would work for jump stuff.