Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

One of my favorite series. I love both the books and the HBO show.

As others have warned George RR Martin's writing tends to be bleak, brutal, and gritty.

It is a complex world and story he has built... and he is still writing the next installment of it

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm All Ears

I actually started the books, then watched the show after I started. I thought the show helped immensely with me as far as telling who was who.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I actually started the books, then watched the show after I started. I thought the show helped immensely with me as far as telling who was who.
I think it does help differentiate and cement the characters in your mind, but on the other hand, I can't, for instance, stop seeing Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and we all know Tyrion is NOT supposed to look like that. So yeah... if you can get into the novels and make your own images up based on the descriptions, do that. If that's not working, watch a bit of the show to help you and then try to correct appearances in your head (good luck with that, I've only succeeded with the Hound and that's because I look at lots of fanart and put in a concerted effort to do so).
Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

I'm still only about a third of the way through the first book. I'm up to date watching the tv show. I watched the show first and started the book a few months after I'd gotten into the show. I'm very happy I watched the show first because if not, I'd have been very lost in the first few pages. So, I'm attempting to read the books but they are so big and I'm such a slow reader that it's taking forever. That, and I keep putting it down to read something else. But!!! I do own the first three and I'll be picking up the rest as I find them in used book stores.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 PM
I'm All Ears

There's too many people with the same name. Or similar names. Seriously, I was lost till I watched the show. And I'm a huge LOTR buff and have read the Silmarillion and not gotten confused.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

http://www.thedarewall.com/tv/tv-shows

If you watch streaming shows on the computer , this site that you do not have to register for , has all of them.

I am obsessed , I am rereading the books for the 5 or 6th time . and Planning an epic rewatch the week before the new season starts in april.

My favorite caractuer development so far is Sansa , Varys and Jamie. Brienne of Tarth is also such a great one. I of course love Tyrion and Arya. Ow and Littlefinger is scary.