Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 AM
stardogs stardogs is offline
Behavior Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 4,432
Default

My husband has a regular Mazda3 he loves - it does seem like the back seat might be tight for a carseat, especially a rearfacing convertible one, so I like the idea of a 6 hatchback!

I did like the Nissan Versa I drove, but you won't be able to fit two medium crates with the back seat in use, probably only one. There's a review with pics on Four Paw Drive.

A Yaris might be a decent option, but I haven't put my hands on one yet. I think MandyPug has one she loves, though!

Whatever you do, DON'T rely just on measurements, take your crates with you! I have a friend who just changed vehicles, measured everything, and yet her (really heavy duty and expensive) crates don't fit.

Also, if you find a smaller vehicle that meets your needs but the crates don't quiiiite fit, it might be worth looking into something like the variocage if buying the smaller vehicle gives you more wiggle room financially. That's what happened with my RAV - the SUV crates would have fit better in a larger vehicle (I was looking at the 4Runner pretty seriously), but the cost savings with initial purchase price and gas mileage gave me the 'extra' money to buy the variocage if I went with the RAV. That was a no brainer at that point!
__________________
Erin, Ziva, Kestrel, Aerten, and Snipe
Always in our hearts: The Amazing Maggie Mae


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Taqroy's Avatar
Taqroy Taqroy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,492
Default

I should definitely should have had this as a requirement in my original post but, this car will eventually need to fit TWO carseats (no, I am not prego but we will have another kid sooner or later) and have room for a crate. >.< Whoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Yes, and we can test it out with mine if you'd like. I have some CPOs on the lot right now that will fit the bill decently well. Example: http://www.groovemazda.com/certified...fced689f38.htm

Mazda3s are freaking amazing.

Ravs are another nice car, but only one with a previously built transmission. Or a manual transmission. Ask Zoom about it. CRVs are their direct competitor - nice cars, over all very reliable, good choice. I'd also look at a Forester or two with Zoom: http://www.grooveauto.com/used/Subar...1490d21257.htm I feel like a legacy wagon would work, too. TONS of rear seat room and cargo room. http://www.grooveauto.com/used/Subar...14e5f69e93.htm

I'm going to throw this out there. Mazda6, previous generation, hatchback. http://www.grooveauto.com/used/Mazda...00e9f6adaa.htm This particular one is finance-able just in case that's a concern, and a hatchback so you have tons of space. If you like the 3 but are concerned about space, this will alleviate that immediately. Also it's really nice and I like driving it, so someone from chaz needs to buy it.

Are you open to compact cars (think Yaris, Versa, etc)? You can get a nearly new, rather nice compact hatch for 12.
You're freaking awesome, thank you for taking the time to put that together. I'm super interested in the Outback wagons and the Mazda hatchbacks (or wagons but I think those are less common?). As soon as we figure out how we're going to finance this I'm going to be hitting you and Zoom up for sure.

I'm not into the compacts at all. I'm going to mention it to Matt though because he needs a new car as well and I see no reason for him to not want a compact. Except...he likes to go fast. How are they for speed racers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha's pet View Post
I drive a 2010 VW GTI. It's cute and sporty. The back seats can lay down for extra storage. what I have done is leave Chloe's seat up (obviously) When she is with me and lay down the two seats next to her and that allows me to fit a medium dog crate with dog in it beside her in the back. It definitely wouldn't do 2 crates but man that car has so much more room inside than you would ever think from looking at the outside. I love that it has the option to fold the back seats down. And it's a turbo so it gets good mileage.
Thanks for the info! I think the venting thread discussion kind of turned me off VW's though lol. A lot of the people I know have had constant issues with them too which is a shame because I've really liked the ones I've driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
I thought you really lost your car. It happened to Hyia and I once, it was horrible. Good luck with your shopping.
I looked at the thread title afterwards and thought I should have gone with something different. I hope you found your car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
My husband has a regular Mazda3 he loves - it does seem like the back seat might be tight for a carseat, especially a rearfacing convertible one, so I like the idea of a 6 hatchback!

I did like the Nissan Versa I drove, but you won't be able to fit two medium crates with the back seat in use, probably only one. There's a review with pics on Four Paw Drive.

A Yaris might be a decent option, but I haven't put my hands on one yet. I think MandyPug has one she loves, though!

Whatever you do, DON'T rely just on measurements, take your crates with you! I have a friend who just changed vehicles, measured everything, and yet her (really heavy duty and expensive) crates don't fit.

Also, if you find a smaller vehicle that meets your needs but the crates don't quiiiite fit, it might be worth looking into something like the variocage if buying the smaller vehicle gives you more wiggle room financially. That's what happened with my RAV - the SUV crates would have fit better in a larger vehicle (I was looking at the 4Runner pretty seriously), but the cost savings with initial purchase price and gas mileage gave me the 'extra' money to buy the variocage if I went with the RAV. That was a no brainer at that point!
I can't believe I forgot about your blog! I'm not opposed to wire crates at all if we need to go that route. I just already have the plastic kennel. Lol. I really love the variocage you have but I need something I can take in and out and it doesn't really look...portable.

I have more to say but people keep interrupting me. I'll be back later.
__________________


I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2014, 04:22 PM
noludoru's Avatar
noludoru noludoru is offline
Bored Now.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 17,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
My husband has a regular Mazda3 he loves - it does seem like the back seat might be tight for a carseat, especially a rearfacing convertible one, so I like the idea of a 6 hatchback!

I did like the Nissan Versa I drove, but you won't be able to fit two medium crates with the back seat in use, probably only one. There's a review with pics on Four Paw Drive.

A Yaris might be a decent option, but I haven't put my hands on one yet. I think MandyPug has one she loves, though!
Yeah, if two carseats are a must, a subcompact car is NOT a good idea. A compact car may not even be the best idea.

Mandy has a Matrix (yes, I know what all of chaz drives. YES I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
You're freaking awesome, thank you for taking the time to put that together. I'm super interested in the Outback wagons and the Mazda hatchbacks (or wagons but I think those are less common?). As soon as we figure out how we're going to finance this I'm going to be hitting you and Zoom up for sure.

I'm not into the compacts at all. I'm going to mention it to Matt though because he needs a new car as well and I see no reason for him to not want a compact. Except...he likes to go fast. How are they for speed racers?

Aww, you're welcome!! The 6hatchbacks are not common to my knowledge. I opened up that particular car and went "WHAT IT'S A HATCHBACK THIS IS SO COOL OMG" with a customer standing right next to me thinking I was a moron. As you're financing, a quick rule of thumb to look at is a car less than 10 years old with less than 100k miles on it. CUs and some banks will be flexible on it, but it's good to keep in mind. I think the Outback is a really good option, and *maybe* easier to find?

If he wants something fast, those will not do. WRX? MS3? Mustang? That's all I've got. We'd have to talk about how fast is fast.


Thanks for the info! I think the venting thread discussion kind of turned me off VW's though lol. A lot of the people I know have had constant issues with them too which is a shame because I've really liked the ones I've driven.

Yep, otherwise I'd recommend him a GTI. They're super nice when they're nice, but they have a tendency to stop being so nice. My manager's 2013 already has rattles and has had to go to the dealership a few times. He doesn't care, he's a VW guy, but he bought a Mazda for his wife so she wouldn't have that issue.
My answers in bold.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha's pet View Post
And it's a turbo so it gets good mileage.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Michiyo-Fir Michiyo-Fir is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,346
Default

We have a GTI and a Jetta Sportwagen.

In terms of the GTI, the hatch is very small so unless you want to put down the back seats, it doesn't fit very much.

The Jetta Sportwagen (my car) has a huge hatch. I can fit 2 medium wire crates in the back without having to put down the back seats. I recommend it. But it's not the fastest.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2014, 04:32 PM
meepitsmeagan's Avatar
meepitsmeagan meepitsmeagan is offline
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Mandy has a Matrix (yes, I know what all of chaz drives. YES I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM).
I don't have anything constructive for this thread. I just want to know if I'm cool enough for Nolu to know what I'm driving.
__________________


Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-09-2014, 05:35 PM
MandyPug's Avatar
MandyPug MandyPug is offline
Sport Model Pug
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Mandy has a Matrix (yes, I know what all of chaz drives. YES I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM).
I have a 2007 versa, love
__________________

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Psyfalcon Psyfalcon is offline
Fishies!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,333
Default

Outback. More space than most SUVs, better mpg, but depending on what year/miles you want, you may have to look around to find one in your price bracket.
__________________
Buster
PhotoBlog
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,721
Default

Bring your crates and car seat along! I have a couple things that should work right now and don't stress about figuring out your financing beforehand
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 PM
LostAndConfused's Avatar
LostAndConfused LostAndConfused is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 2,973
Default

Taqroy thanks for the thread. With my current car issues, I'm doing the whole car search thing, long term plans have me looking at similar requirements.
__________________
allons-y!



Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012


Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012


Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 PM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,234
Default

I love the matrix!

But have you looked at the kia souls? They have good reviews and you can get a great deal on them. Loads of room in a tiny package.

The Mitsubishi rvrs are amazing. Like my dream dog shlepping vehicle!

Lots of good suggestions in here!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site