Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Behavior Nerd

My husband has a regular Mazda3 he loves - it does seem like the back seat might be tight for a carseat, especially a rearfacing convertible one, so I like the idea of a 6 hatchback!

I did like the Nissan Versa I drove, but you won't be able to fit two medium crates with the back seat in use, probably only one. There's a review with pics on Four Paw Drive.

A Yaris might be a decent option, but I haven't put my hands on one yet. I think MandyPug has one she loves, though!

Whatever you do, DON'T rely just on measurements, take your crates with you! I have a friend who just changed vehicles, measured everything, and yet her (really heavy duty and expensive) crates don't fit.

Also, if you find a smaller vehicle that meets your needs but the crates don't quiiiite fit, it might be worth looking into something like the variocage if buying the smaller vehicle gives you more wiggle room financially. That's what happened with my RAV - the SUV crates would have fit better in a larger vehicle (I was looking at the 4Runner pretty seriously), but the cost savings with initial purchase price and gas mileage gave me the 'extra' money to buy the variocage if I went with the RAV. That was a no brainer at that point!