Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Active Pup

DJ,

What kind of dog is Recon?

He looks like Gus and I describe Gus as a ranch collie, a prototype of the AKC Australian Shepherd. But I am just making it up as I go. What do you think?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
If you are going to use this method to train snake aversion (and it does work very well when done correctly, I have used it myself). BUT ... and this is a big "but" ... make sure you work with a professional trainer that knows how to use one
What do you mean by "correctly"? What practices should I be wary of?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eselpee View Post
Thanks DJ,

I have resigned myself to the need for this, but the people running the class are park rangers not dog trainers. Therefore, I feel the least I could do for my sensitive little Gus is to educate myself. I would like to hear more about what your friend has learned about this method. I might be underestimating Gus, but I want to be prepared.
I can't PM you, but if you can PM me, I will give you her contact info.

Quote:
DJ,

What kind of dog is Recon?

He looks like Gus and I describe Gus as a ranch collie, a prototype of the AKC Australian Shepherd. But I am just making it up as I go. What do you think?
Recon is a purebred sport/working lined border collie. Gus looks like an Aussie / German Shepherd mix to me, but who knows!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Big Dog

I spoke to my mom and she said her neighbors had their dog go through it with the Mohave County rangers. I don't know the neighbors, so take their enorsement with a grain of salt. Apparently "their dog is like their child" so I would hope they did due dilligence like you're doing. That's no guarantee though. For what it's worth, mom is going to have Stubby go through it sometime before spring when the snakes wake up.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by halblingefrau View Post
I spoke to my mom and she said her neighbors had their dog go through it with the Mohave County rangers. I don't know the neighbors, so take their enorsement with a grain of salt. Apparently "their dog is like their child" so I would hope they did due dilligence like you're doing. That's no guarantee though. For what it's worth, mom is going to have Stubby go through it sometime before spring when the snakes wake up.
Maybe I will be classmates with your parents. I will check for Stubby and they can check for Mr. August (Gus)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Active Pup

The person who holds the snake aversion class in my area has a website:
http://vipervoidance.com/Home_Page.html

He said he doesn't necessarily turn the ecollar up all the way, but the first shock is powerful. He said it was b/c there may not be a second chance to correct the dog. Is that how you (ecollar savvy readers) would approach this?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
What do you mean by "correctly"? What practices should I be wary of?
You must know when to hit the button and have really good timing or you might end up with. Dog who is avoident of rocks, logs, other dogs ... Because that's what he as around or looking at when the button was pushed.

It's not about just strapping on the collar and zapping, which it's very important to find a professional who knows how to use one and how dogs perceive it's use.