Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

When I worked at the general practice clinic, I loved what I did (but couldn't support myself on my own) for the most part. What I couldn't deal with was the complete lack of understanding of (and adamant resistance to learning) behavior. In the end, I got so tired of dealing with it I took a job in a completely unrelated field (that paid better and allowed me to move to the cities). Where I promptly learned that even when there is enough money to pay all the bills, put money in savings, AND have fun money every month... hating my job wasn't worth it.

So, here I am in school for a second time. To likely make less money than my other degree would pay me.

Oh well. I love, love, love my rehab job.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm All Ears

I don't think anyone is saying you need to earn X amount of money to be successful. If you can live off of your salary and are happy with it then that's all that matters.

But what I meant was really that not supporting yourself is just not an option for a lot of people. I know I didn't have another option after college. The rule was always once you're done with school, you're on your own and paying your own way. Which I think is more than fair. I guess I could get room mates to help out but I hate having room mates.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

I agree with Laurelin.

Success, to me, should not be measured by the $$ you make, and in the end, it's up to each individual what makes you successful. For some, it's getting up on time and holding down any kind of job.

Add here comes into play what you want with or from your life: I'd hate to have a job where I would have to rely on living at home or with roommates for unforeseen lengths (not because you are hitting a rough patch or are going through school, etc.). When you're in your own place and have to pay all your bills by yourself, it adds up. And it adds up quickly. I don't think it's sad or pitiful to be in a job that you don't love that allows you to pay your bills and be able to put money on the side and have some to play with.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Twin 2.0

It really does come down to if you can find some measure of satisfaction at work and bring home enough to make a comfortable living. That level will vary for everyone. I know some people who are totally fine living in a studio apartment, have a beater car for bad weather but ride their bikes or use public trans every other day. They make enough money to support their hobbies (which mostly involves snow sports out here) and that's fine by them. Others have different needs.

Like I mentioned before, I'm not exactly over the moon thrilled with my job, mostly because of the hours and the extreme variance in pay, but such is the lot of having a commission-based job. I bring home enough to mostly support the lifestyle I want, so it works. I mostly shoot for the days like yesterday, where I had super happy customers who were just over the moon that they were able to get into their dream cars. My last sale of the day also gave me a list of new music artists to listen to, which is a nice little side bonus. I've made some interesting connections through this job.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I could not live on $25k here. $40k or less is considered poverty here and qualifies you for the free low income apartments in town. For a family of four, it's $60k.
Yeah, 25k a year is under liveable wage for our county. I bet it just hits that level in some of the counties further out.

Everyone has a level of comfort they need or want from their lives, and there is nothing wrong with someone having a different one from you. I want to be able to compete my dogs - it means I need extra income on top of what I need to live off. Right now, I kind of scrape by, because I have the massive expense of Tristan, who gets to be taken care of as long as he lives. I love him beyond all reason, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit a bit of relief when the vet suggested we can probably keep him comfortable for about 2 years. My life will be SO much easier when I don't have that expense.

I had to buy new snow tires yesterday after a flat demolished one of mine; finding $700 that wasn't planned on hurt. Badly. I need to reach a point in my life where that isn't a huge fear. Because that is what I need to feel comfortable.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Top Dog

Knowing my personality, I think anything I do for work (like 40 hours a week to earn a salary) will always be work and not fun. I just don't have the energy and the passion for anything to want to work hard at it 40 hours a week. I like to relax, take my time, and do things at my own pace. I specifically didn't go into a career with animals because I knew that it would go from hobby to work very quickly and I wouldn't enjoy it much anymore.

I'm good at my job (engineer; I actually work with LostandConfused's husband!) and I like it well enough. It challenges me and I like the people I work with. It's still just a job and if I won the lottery I would be out of here. It just takes up so much of my time and at the end of the day, it's not what I would choose to do with my time.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-06-2014, 07:58 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

How do you explain not doing what you love full time to care for what you love? I would have no problem being in a studio 24 7 and stopping only to eat and sleep. I could do that easily. IT's stopping to care for those I love, being accessable for Hyia is something that has to be, at a moment's notice. Maybe one day I can. IF I had a studio I could paint in, I would never leave. Painting in this apt with this crappy carpet, dirty ducts, and animal hair I am never going to get rid of means that anything using acrylics has come to a complete stop. I miss it dearly. AT least it gets in clay, it all burns up. ONe thing I have always felt lucky about is I always knew what I was about, and what I needed to do.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Top Dog

I absolutely love working with dogs - training specifically. I will probably do it until I retire.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm