Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Duuuuude.

2-4 years is ideal I think. I want them to be close enough in age to be able to enjoy each other. Lucky was 11 when I got Rowan and he really hated having another dog around, even though Rowan was always very respectful. He didn't like other dogs much anyway but I think he would've adapted better when he was younger.

Rowan is about 5 years older than Riff. He was 6 1/2 when I brought Riff home. I really wanted to get a second dog before Rowan got older (8-9+) and it's worked pretty well. I want another while Rowan is still around, but I don't want him to be too old, and it might not be feasible until he's a senior. At that point I might just hold off. We'll see how it works out.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I like having 5 or so years between dogs. Our papillons are all spaced about 1 year apart and I don't want to do that again. I don't like having multiple seniors at the same time. Multiple youngsters is fun but the senior years can be very very rough.
This exactly. Kim and Webster are only a couple months apart (though we got Webster a year after Kim, he came pre-grown. A little bit. Not like he grew very far.) and there are two years between Mira and Webster.

We're starting that whole five-years-between-thing...now. Ha. Mira turns five in July and sometime this year we plan to add our fourth. Then no more dogs for a very long time, least five years. If everyone lives forever (and that is my plan) then there will be no more dogs at all, so I hope our fourth is as amazing as our first three

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Show Dog

I like a smaller gap than some here, 1-3 years. I like them to be young together, even if it sucks when they're old together.

My plan is and has been to start seriously looking into getting a puppy, or adopting another young dog, just after Astro turns 1. He's been, despite my occasional whining, a very easy young man - mannerly, not hyper, reliably housetrained, quiet, playful with other dogs, friendly to every stranger, quick to learn. I think he'll do well with another dog, and I'm anxious to have a multi-dog household, and I like (despite all the craziness) puppies and young dogs.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Mine are all three years apart right now. I'm pushing it a bit further on the next one, looking for four years... maaaaaybe five. Auggie will be ten (or eleven) when the next puppy comes home. At four dogs I will be full up until someone leaves me (or I get rich and move out of the city where the dog limit goes away) so that will be it for a while. I don't mind three years between them, but since I can't have six or seven dogs around in town, I need to stretch it out a bit more.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Behavior Nerd

Ziva will be 7 in March, Kestrel just turned 5, Aeri just turned 3, and Snipe is just over 2.5y.

Personally I like the 2 year gaps. The 6 month gap between Aeri and Snipe was not planned - Aeri was supposed to be the last dog. There was a 7 year gap between Maggie and Ziva and that was OK, but I prefer closer.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Top Dog

I like a 3-4 age gap, I think.

Dogs growing up were 7 years between the first & second (too much!), the second and third were siblings (waaaay too close!) and the third and fourth were 6 months apart (still too close).

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Top Dog

I like the 1 to 3 yr gap.
Tania will be 12,in May & Gaia is turning 3,in February so that's a gap that is too big.
The good thing is that Hovas stay young,for a long time!.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

I like a one to 3 year gap.. Just depends. I do like them younger together, because I have a lot of breeds that will probably become more intolerant of dogs as they get older.

Kit was 3 when we got Frag. Frag was 2.5 when I got Sir (age 1 year) and 3 when I brought home Recon as a puppy. Now Kit has passed, Frag is 4.5, Sir is 2.5, Recon is 1.5 and Patton is 10 weeks. I like the spacing that we have, currently. I like being able to do different things with each of them and have them keep up with each other as well.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Big Dog

There's a 7 year gap between Rocky and Baxter, but I would prefer closer for my next dogs (when I move out Rocky will most likely be gone and Baxter is technically my sisters dog so I can't take him). I would prefer 3-5 years. Enough time to develop a solid foundation with first dog, but not so long that first dog would have to deal with adolescent energy as it gets up there in age.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Wild At Heart

I like a 4 year gap, personally.

However, Harleigh will be 5 in February and still no puppy plans for me.

Looks like my gap will be getting a bit larger

Harleigh <3