Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Honestly I can't imagine why everyone I the world wouldn't want to do agility. It's just so darn fun!
Me neither, and I'm one of those people LOL I know Trent enjoys running through the course like a maniac because we did a little agility training within our obedience class... but for some reason, I just can't get into the idea of doing agility specifically. If it were a "hey, there's an agility course, let's play!" kind of thing, I'd definitely be all over it! But I'm just not up for legitimate agility, and not even I know why (although to be fair, I've never actually taken an agility class, so I may stand corrected if I ever do).
Old 01-04-2014, 09:41 PM
such sights to show you

You know, I really don't know that many sport people outside of people I know/met on FB and dog forums, or through training classes. We have a handful of clients who do various sports with their dogs, and one of my coworkers has a retired racing greyhound that she's done a little coursing with, but beyond that, people I interact with in person on a daily basis? Not really. There's a local skijor club here but I am not really a club kind of person, and Maisy is leash/dog reactive so that kinda puts a damper on any skijor gatherings.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Ah, I see. There's doing absolutely NOTHING with your dog, and then there's just... hanging out and not doing particularly anything with your dog. Seems like you were talking about the former and I qualify as the latter

No, he definitely isn't languishing in boredom. If he were understimulated, I'd be in big trouble!! I also take my dog with me everywhere, I just figured that compared to those who train their dogs in performance sports and real work, it was pretty much "nothing" (which I'd be okay with! I love doing nothing!).

Yeah, keep away from those Asians. Asians are bad news

Haha, to be fair, my priorities sometimes CAN be terrible. If I have to starve myself for a few days to get a pretty collar or a particularly cool dog toy, I might. Actually contemplating sacrificing a few meals for a dual leash that I've been eying. Hmm...
LMAO, thanks for the warning! *note to self*

Actually, me, too. I even found myself in a clear-cut choice at the grocery store once. Some food because I found my fridge empty. . .or the really awesome toy I stumbled upon and knew Fable would love. I chose the toy and bought a little bit of ramen with the change.
And of course, when I've been going through especially hard times, I will always choose dog food over food for myself if it comes down to it. But IMO that's what I'm supposed to do.

If I'm being completely honest I'm awfully obsessed with dog sports for someone who doesn't do them. When I'm in the right situation I just know I'll go nuts enrolling my dogs in a million classes that seem fun.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
LMAO, thanks for the warning! *note to self*

Actually, me, too. I even found myself in a clear-cut choice at the grocery store once. Some food because I found my fridge empty. . .or the really awesome toy I stumbled upon and knew Fable would love. I chose the toy and bought a little bit of ramen with the change.
And of course, when I've been going through especially hard times, I will always choose dog food over food for myself if it comes down to it. But IMO that's what I'm supposed to do.

If I'm being completely honest I'm awfully obsessed with dog sports for someone who doesn't do them. When I'm in the right situation I just know I'll go nuts enrolling my dogs in a million classes that seem fun.
Oh yeah, the moment I have the time and means for IPO, I'm getting right on that! I already know which club and everything. The transportation and the club fees will probably be the biggest issue, to be honest, but I'd really, really like to get into the sport.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

I live in a VERY dog friendly town where people are extremely active with their dogs. Quite a few do dogs sports of some kind out here

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

I'm awfully obsessed with the dogs and really don't know many people at all who are into their dogs or doing sports with their dogs. Pretty much the only people I know are through my breeder and her friends. None live here anymore.

I did have a customer that I'm now friends with outside of work who does sports with her Dutchie. However, Rhys is still really too young to compete so we haven't gotten full bore into sports yet.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I'm pretty sure I'd become a recluse in the woods if I didn't do dog sports.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Blonde Raccoon

Just people I've met through my breeder and a trainer at my work who competes in disk with her dogs. I know my aunt used to do conformation with her miniature schnauzer and I think he's a therapy dog, but I'm not entirely sure. She's the only sort of 'dog person' I know outside of the internet/work/my breeder.

I don't do sports either though (yet), so I guess I'm one of those people.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Top Dog

I am just getting into sports myself, but with the exception of one friend, my friends are all dog sport people. I met them because one of them was a customer at the pet food store I worked at and we got talking one day and she tried convincing me to join her Flyball team for like three months haha. I finally did when I got Journey and through Flyball I got to know other dog/dog sport people. They all do other sports with their dogs as well and are very active dog owners in general regardless of the sports they do.

Prior to getting involved with Flyball though I didn't know any actual dog people. Just pet people whose dogs were basically treated like human babies that never left the house or did anything fun. Those people thought I was strange (and probably still do) because of all the things I like to do with my dogs. Not that I do much in the way of sports yet, but I like to take them many places, go walking, hiking, teach tricks to, etc. and most pet people just don't seem to get that. If I hadn't worked in that store I don't know when I finally would have met actual dog people. It was kind of a fluke thing I even met my (now) friend as I don't think most of my customers did any sports or anything.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN