Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

Ahhh! Jealous! This is one I don't think the greyhounds can do. I've been thinking about working with Kili to see if she can do "sit pretty" after I've figured out all the perch/back stall stuff. But... I'm not so sure it's do-able for a greyhound. Sitting is hard enough and they don't really SIT... just sort of hover. My trainer always says Kili is "doing that kangaroo thing". lol

This is what I call "hug".

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Bayleigh has such a great start already!

Gusto would like to know if we can please change this trick to "bark and angrily wrap your head around the bar". Because that's what he would like to do. I think I've been SO careful with making sure he didn't target stuff with his front feet (because it always was hard to get Meg to nose target since she learned the foot first), that he has no idea how to use his front feet for stuff. He's offering to put his BACK feet on everything in the room, of course. Silly backwards dog. I'm trying to capture any moment a front foot hits the pole, but two very short training sessions made it clear this will be slow going until he gets the idea that his front foot is doing the work.

I actually started with Meg as well, because she was looking all bummed about not playing. It's amazing how much more resilient she is to shaping that she used to be. She still isn't particularly good at it, but she doesn't quit after a few behaviors that aren't rewarded. Right now she's just nose touching the pole, but I'm proud of her for being in the game

Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

Might try this one.. if I can pry my skinnies off the couch and out from under the blankets.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Twin 2

So this is harder than I thought it would be!

I'm having trouble getting the idea to SIT and do this because they want to stand or stand up on two legs. Traveler has the idea down kinda, it took some convincing with him that I didn't want him to dig at it but actually wrap his paws around it but now he's pulling at it with one foot. But I can't seem to get the idea to do it with two feet.

Didgie is apparently not in the mood for training tonight because she's defaulting like crazy to frustrated screaming.

Sekah, did you cue the sit for Cohen or wait for her to figure it out?

I might actually go with something bigger around than the hiking stick I'm using, I almost think it's too thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Bayleigh has such a great start already!

Gusto would like to know if we can please change this trick to "bark and angrily wrap your head around the bar". Because that's what he would like to do. I think I've been SO careful with making sure he didn't target stuff with his front feet (because it always was hard to get Meg to nose target since she learned the foot first), that he has no idea how to use his front feet for stuff. He's offering to put his BACK feet on everything in the room, of course. Silly backwards dog. I'm trying to capture any moment a front foot hits the pole, but two very short training sessions made it clear this will be slow going until he gets the idea that his front foot is doing the work.

I actually started with Meg as well, because she was looking all bummed about not playing. It's amazing how much more resilient she is to shaping that she used to be. She still isn't particularly good at it, but she doesn't quit after a few behaviors that aren't rewarded. Right now she's just nose touching the pole, but I'm proud of her for being in the game
It cracks me up about Gusto's back feet targeting, I just SO get that. When I was working on the foot stall I would be sitting there with my feet up in the air waiting for him only to look over and see he's backed up with his feet up against the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Ahhh! Jealous! This is one I don't think the greyhounds can do. I've been thinking about working with Kili to see if she can do "sit pretty" after I've figured out all the perch/back stall stuff. But... I'm not so sure it's do-able for a greyhound. Sitting is hard enough and they don't really SIT... just sort of hover. My trainer always says Kili is "doing that kangaroo thing". lol

This is what I call "hug".

Ugh! Sorry! I actually debated a long time on this trick and nixed a few ideas because I wanted it to be big dog inclusive, I didn't think about the sit thing.

You could do it with her standing up though? Use something bigger and teach her to hug it to her and have it help support her weight too? Maybe?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Twin 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
You could do it with her standing up though? Use something bigger and teach her to hug it to her and have it help support her weight too? Maybe?
I bet a pole or something would work for this.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Twin 1

Well, this is what we did for the first session:

Going off what Linds said, I concentrated more on getting him targeting from a sit position. But now I'm not sure how to get him pulling instead of scratching. I tried to mark when he accidentally wrapped his paws around it. But I'm not sure how effective it was since I let some slide in the beginning. I may concentrate more on rewarding that in the second session even if he's standing.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I'm trying to figure out what to call this one. Talon thinks this is "hugs" so I don't want to confuse him.

IMAG0202 by babyblue5290, on Flickr

Quote:

I'm having trouble getting the idea to SIT and do this because they want to stand or stand up on two legs.
You can see in my video Talon is doing the same thing as your guys and standing on two legs. I figured if I start with targeting with his paws to get the idea of what I want from him and than I'll probably start asking for a sit, presenting the pole, and pulling it away every time he stands. Never done this one before though, so take that with a grain of salt.

This is definitely harder than I thought it would be!

**edit** it would probably help if I actually posted the video lol

I did the first session of this one with Talon, it went Ok. This ones kind of hard for him.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM
The Monster.

Quote:

I'm having trouble getting the idea to SIT and do this because they want to stand or stand up on two legs. Traveler has the idea down kinda, it took some convincing with him that I didn't want him to dig at it but actually wrap his paws around it but now he's pulling at it with one foot. But I can't seem to get the idea to do it with two feet.

Didgie is apparently not in the mood for training tonight because she's defaulting like crazy to frustrated screaming.

Sekah, did you cue the sit for Cohen or wait for her to figure it out?

I might actually go with something bigger around than the hiking stick I'm using, I almost think it's too thin.
This one was pretty tough for me too. I honestly don't 100% remember the learning process, but I did find an old video of me working with Cohen on this. It's a bit beyond where you're having trouble, but I figured I'd share 'cause whynot.

[E: I was silly and asked youtube to fix the video's framing just now. If it's not working and you want to see it, come back to the link in a little bit. ]

I tend to toss out quite a few cues/hints while working on something new, and don't do much pure free shaping. My method has its pros and cons. The pros are that it gets the new behaviour pretty readily, but the cons are that I often run into troublesome plateaus.

So, in your position, I'd cue the sit and focus first on one paw. I'd probably look for a wrap/hold before I worried about the second paw. Depending on the progress, and if the second paw isn't coming readily I might cue a beg and see what happens. Opposition reflex should be helpful in showing your dogs that you want a hold, not just paws resting on the object.

Another cute variation on this trick is a paw wrap on a leg. This may be doable by people who might otherwise have trouble working their dogs in this position. One paw or two.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-05-2014, 08:57 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffStuff View Post
But now I'm not sure how to get him pulling instead of scratching. I tried to mark when he accidentally wrapped his paws around it. But I'm not sure how effective it was since I let some slide in the beginning. I may concentrate more on rewarding that in the second session even if he's standing.
Great work! I would try engaging the opposition reflex. Make him work a bit harder to maintain contact with the pole. I found it helped me a lot.

Everyone's work on this one already. It's probably going to be a challenging one, but also crazy adorable when you're done.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Twin 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Great work! I would try engaging the opposition reflex. Make him work a bit harder to maintain contact with the pole. I found it helped me a lot.

Everyone's work on this one already. It's probably going to be a challenging one, but also crazy adorable when you're done.
Thanks! That's a good idea. I'll definitely try that in the next session.