Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
This dog's proportions confuse me.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/28002950/
I think that is a combination of bad pictures and being severely overweight. Although he is probably a bit of a trainwreck. Most are. I have the same issues taking pictures of Zander.

Speaking of Zane, he's been absolutely impossible to deal with today. He was super cuddly and nice, and then I let him up on the bed and it was all downhill from there. Grumpy old man.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:34 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
This dog's proportions confuse me.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/28002950/
Ah, the "bloated tick" look: Big body, tiny head. Always popular.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:56 AM
such sights to show you

Poor pink dog is pink, his skin does not like this extreme cold/dry. Everybody buy stock in diaper rash cream.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Ugh, so annoyed at work today.

We have this woman who drops off her white GSD puppy and is really quite bitchy/weird/particular about everything (literally everything, and she doesn't seem to appreciate how accommodating we are to all of her strange requests). Today she comes in and announces that the puppy 'is a show dog' and 'not allowed to sit or jump because she's a show dog.' Okay, everything aside about being a white GSD (white being a disqualifying fault for GSDs in the CKC, but I don't know whatever other kind of shows she can do because I have such limited knowledge about conformation). First of all, the dog is a conformational NIGHTMARE. She's a puppy and already has such angulated hips and walks weird. It breaks my heart. And her ears are completely down (at like five-ish months old). Secondly, not allowed to sit?????? Like I said, limited knowledge about conformation over here, but is this actually a thing? She's allowed to lay down and stand but she can't sit at all??!

Then the owner stands over the fence and the puppy gets all excited and keeps jumping to see her .. and then she starts like yelling at us to get the puppy to stop jumping. Then don't stand there for like twenty minutes just looking in! I TOTALLY get people wanting to watch their dog, I would too! But she keep like looming and getting the pup all excited and jumpy. I was so frustrated.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortilla View Post
Secondly, not allowed to sit?????? Like I said, limited knowledge about conformation over here, but is this actually a thing? She's allowed to lay down and stand but she can't sit at all??!
It is a strange thing that some conformation people believe... if you teach the dog to sit it will sit in the show ring. Pepper's first visit with me, she was two years old. I kept asking her to sit and she wouldn't sit, and I was like "WTF am I doing wrong? I'm SURE she knows how to sit. I must just be using the wrong hand signal or something." So I called her old owner and was like "Hey what's the hand signal or command for sit for Pepper?" "Oh, I never taught her sit because I didn't want her to sit in the show ring." Whaaaaaaat?
But that's teaching the dog to sit - I've never heard anybody say the dog isn't "allowed" to sit, like if the dog were to just sit naturally... that's weird.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ugh, so annoyed at work today.

We have this woman who drops off her white GSD puppy and is really quite bitchy/weird/particular about everything (literally everything, and she doesn't seem to appreciate how accommodating we are to all of her strange requests). Today she comes in and announces that the puppy 'is a show dog' and 'not allowed to sit or jump because she's a show dog.' Okay, everything aside about being a white GSD (white being a disqualifying fault for GSDs in the CKC, but I don't know whatever other kind of shows she can do because I have such limited knowledge about conformation). First of all, the dog is a conformational NIGHTMARE. She's a puppy and already has such angulated hips and walks weird. It breaks my heart. And her ears are completely down (at like five-ish months old). Secondly, not allowed to sit?????? Like I said, limited knowledge about conformation over here, but is this actually a thing? She's allowed to lay down and stand but she can't sit at all??!

Then the owner stands over the fence and the puppy gets all excited and keeps jumping to see her .. and then she starts like yelling at us to get the puppy to stop jumping. Then don't stand there for like twenty minutes just looking in! I TOTALLY get people wanting to watch their dog, I would too! But she keep like looming and getting the pup all excited and jumpy. I was so frustrated.
Well the woman sounds dumb as hell and the pup sounds a mess, but it is true that most people showing dogs do not teach them or ask them to sit - they want them to be less likely to do it in the ring and a stand to be default for them. Now I don't know if you mean that or if the woman was literally telling you to make sure the dog DIDN'T ever sit on it's own.. because THAT would be truly insane. Just don't reward for it/teach it and it will be less likely to occur. We have a breeder that brings puppies to our puppy classes and she just bows out of "sit" day and works on stands instead. The little pup I have I'm also choosing not to teach to sit for this reason.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 12-31-2013, 03:49 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Ahh, that makes sense! I never really thought about it, so I can get not wanting to teach sit on command. But yeah, the woman doesn't want us to let her sit at daycare AT ALL. Weird, right??

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ahh, that makes sense! I never really thought about it, so I can get not wanting to teach sit on command. But yeah, the woman doesn't want us to let her sit at daycare AT ALL. Weird, right??
She sounds like someone who read a little bit about conformation and understood half of it wrong, assumed she could show her dog because she doesn't actually know anything about conformation, and has a terrible personality/attitude to boot. Can't fix stupid. haha.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It is a strange thing that some conformation people believe... if you teach the dog to sit it will sit in the show ring. Pepper's first visit with me, she was two years old. I kept asking her to sit and she wouldn't sit, and I was like "WTF am I doing wrong? I'm SURE she knows how to sit. I must just be using the wrong hand signal or something." So I called her old owner and was like "Hey what's the hand signal or command for sit for Pepper?" "Oh, I never taught her sit because I didn't want her to sit in the show ring." Whaaaaaaat?
But that's teaching the dog to sit - I've never heard anybody say the dog isn't "allowed" to sit, like if the dog were to just sit naturally... that's weird.
This. I got reamed by all sorts of random people that shouldn't have cared because my dog is a service dog and he sits on command but I still show him. How can he be a service dog if he's showing???!?!?!!?!1!?!11!! What if he SITS in the RING!?!?11!11!!!?1?!

It's a load of crap. If your dog is taught to stand on command, sit on command, etc, it's a NON-ISSUE. The problem comes when you fail to put it ON COMMAND and just pretend that not teaching is teaching. Drives me NUTS.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:51 PM
such sights to show you

How do people who don't do stuff with their dogs even live with them?

It's been too cold to exercise the dogs outside all week, and I'm running out of ways to entertain them indoors. If I didn't know that it's going to warm up enough to go skijoring and to the dog park on Friday, I might be going a little bananas right now. I don't know if I could live with them if they were like this all the time.