Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

Not recent but Gwen can perch! She sleeps on the back of the couch often.

Im not sure what I'll train her. I have an idea but it could be dangerous so... not sure. I couldn't do a footstall. Maybe I'll find a bucket.

How long are you spending on training? I don't want to overdo it.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm All Ears

I got inspired and decided to do some work with the girls today. We're at baby steps right now, lol.

Mia:

I got her perching on objects much shorter length-wise than her. It took no time at all because we've done a lot of work getting her in smaller and smaller boxes with all 4 feet so this was a piece of cake.

I did get her on a wobbly surface and she is doing great! Very confident about it.

The issue we're having was when I tried to get her to start perching on ME. I put my legs up on the top of the box to get her to just get used to standing on me. End goal would probably be perching on my knees since a foot stall would be too tall for her. She keeps jumping over me and I know a lot of that is from training her to jump over my arms and legs if I hold them out. How do you guys begin the transition from perch on an object to perch on you?

Summer:

Oh boy. Apparently I've never worked on getting all 4 of Summer's feet on an object. She keeps pivoting on it with her front feet or backing up to it or jumping over it. I cannot get her to keep all four on it and when she does (her object is Summer length), it doesn't click and she's back to pivoting or something. My favorite thing she was doing was putting her front feet on it then banging her feet into it. I may just teach her to play the drums or something.

Summer can be smart but sometimes things confuse her, lol.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I spend maybe 2 minutes at a time on this stuff, once a day, with a few days off a week, right now.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
How do you guys begin the transition from perch on an object to perch on you?
The quickest, easiest method is have the perch object nearby. Do some rapid fire rehearsals of the behaviour on an object, then move straight to asking for it on you. Move to/from rehearsing on the object as needed during the session.

E: It's hard to say how long/often I work on something since I tend to have quite a few things on the go, and my interest in working on something specific will wax & wane. When I'm making a concerted effort to work on something I probably focus on it pretty intently about 10-15 minutes a day. I tend to over-train though, and most dogs would do just fine with <5 minutes/day.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 12-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Silence, peasants.

For trick of the week we probably spend 20 minutes in all training it, broken into a couple minutes. It's hard to say because I throw all the training in with just playing and don't plan, ha.

And I have to say this is a hilarious trick to train Feist in. The bucket is kind of small so she has to really work to balance and get a hind leg onto it, this last session we did she started consistently offering three legs on and was trying to get the fourth. This is nice because it's a trick that actually taxes her brain.

And I love looking at everyone else's perches they're awesome!!

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Twin 2

Cause shoes are stupid.

AKA: Forgot I'm not wearing shoes and love that my dogs land so lightly on their feet that it didn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
How do you guys begin the transition from perch on an object to perch on you?
I work on the idea of "ON" being solid. They get told a lot to "UpUp" which means get onto something that I gesture to. They also know over means jump over something. So honestly I have very little difficulty after doing all that in getting them to use me as a perch.

Sekah's idea is very similar to how I teach stuff like this too.

For footstall stuff I had them on a stool so they were also already in the mind frame of "Getting on things" But even then I shaped it mostly. They touched my feet with one paw *Click*, two paws *click*, three paws *click* and since they were already elevated they weren't thinking about jumping over anything. I think using small steps and approximations along with absolutely no reward for jumping over you would be your best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post

Im not sure what I'll train her. I have an idea but it could be dangerous so... not sure. I couldn't do a footstall. Maybe I'll find a bucket.

How long are you spending on training? I don't want to overdo it.
If you're just starting out with that type of stuff I would start small and not be looking at something like a footstall until she has better balance and core strength.

I typically do it for a couple repetitions a few times a day. So when I was just starting off I would have them do it two or three times for various lengths two or three times a day. Though that's after they get it. When I'm still shaping it the sessions are about five minutes long.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Silence, peasants.

Here is Feist's 2nd session of perching on a bucket.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 12-28-2013, 08:26 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I work on the idea of "ON" being solid. They get told a lot to "UpUp" which means get onto something that I gesture to.
Pretty much the same here. The dogs all know "Up" means "climb up on _____" because I use it all the time so I just laid down in a room with nothing climbable, patted my shins and said "Up" and Webby scrambled up on, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds
If you're just starting out with that type of stuff I would start small and not be looking at something like a footstall until she has better balance and core strength.
I'll second this too. Fitpaws is super for building the requisite body control and awareness, btw.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-28-2013, 02:32 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

Aheheh StiXxX learns to perch (sorta).

my delicate little flower

Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 PM
such sights to show you

Proportionally, he's doing the exact same thing as everyone else!!