Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

Default None of the dogs I like are a good fit

Does anyone else have this problem? If I were to list out what I'd like in a dog people say to get a Lab or a Golden. But in real life I'm attracted to dogs who don't fit what I want at all. I love pretty much every German Shepherd at daycare, same with the Huskys. They just have so much character and attitude, but not a mean attitude, they just backtalk, which is adorable and hilarious, and they always seem to know that they're being naughty and seem to think it's pretty funny. I've been in love with APBTs for a while, and am starting to really like ACDs (though that's through the internet, I've never met a purebred ACD I don't think) . I also like a lot of the Pugs at work. The only dogs I like in real life that are a good fit on paper are Boxers, but only some Boxers, some are too obnoxious and bully like. It drives me nuts, though I suppose it shouldn't since I'll most likely get a mutt/random shelter dog. But I'm afraid I'll pick the dog I feel a connection with and ignore that he's a terrible fit. But it just seems like I can't connect with the types of dogs I should be interested in. There is not a single Lab or Golden at work I've felt any sort of bond with, it's so strange, we have so many you'd think there'd be ONE.

No real purpose to this thread, it's just something that's been bothering me. Maybe the problem is that I don't really know what I like, I just think I do and real life is telling me otherwise. I never in a million year thought I'd like a GSD or even a husky for that matter.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Resident fainting goat

Honestly, I thought I was the same way but it ended up.. the dogs that I thought I liked, I liked because I didn't live with them and I found them amusing in short bursts or dog sitting. Or because I found them ascetically pleasing lol
I used to get so frustrated because GAH Frenchies are so cute but the health problems and WAHHH why do huskies shed so much and all the exercise and UGHHH
turns out..
- I liked frenchies because they were cute and funny. period.
- I liked huskies because they sasstalked and made funny noises and were pretty
- I liked goldens because of nostalgia
- I liked corgies because their tiny legs made me happy

and none of those are good enough reasons to have one or would last long enough long term to make me not want to pull my hair out after a few weeks.

BUT, silver lining, you will find, more often that not, that the dog that matches with you on paper (even if you aren't immediately attracted to them)... probably will grow to be the right fit in the long haul and whatever you missed in the immediate "OH NOW THATS A COOL DOG" will be made up for in long term contentment lol

Some people have "their breeds" that they were attracted to and it's the perfect fit and happily ever after.
For me..that has not been so. Finding the "right breed" took digging, and took some willpower and took putting away some of that pretty dog envy and finding the right fit for me even without fur and face and cuteness lol

that has been my experience anyway lol
Old 12-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Top Dog

I think there is a difference between what you like, or what you think you like, and what you can live with.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I think there is a difference between what you like, or what you think you like, and what you can live with.
^ This.

I also think you can like a dog in a daycare situation and not want to live with that dog.

I also think a dog can be suited to you perfectly on paper, but you don't feel much of a connection. I'm that way with most spaniels. I'm just not head over heels in love with most spaniel type dogs.

I think you really need to take a look at what you're drawn to and what you think want. Then decide what would make you happier to live with - what you're drawn to, or what you think you want. And then see if there are any traits you can compromise on.

And, a lot of breeds have dog with individual personalities. For example, if you are drawn to a dog that back talks and is sassy and is a trouble maker...look for a pup, regardless of breed, that has that personality. One thing that I LOVED about Chloe is that she has a lot of spunk and attitude. I told the breeder that...and I got Abrams, who loves to back talk and sass and growl and grumble and carry on. And while he doesn't have the bitchy whiles because he's a dumb boy...he certainly isn't a dog with no personality. LOL

Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Vizsla mom

Yeah, so many people tell me 'I love gun dogs ..when other people own them.' and I think that's the case with a lot of people. Lots of breeds I LOVE but would never own because they don't fit my lifestyle!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm All Ears

For me there would have to be a combination of things. There's some breeds that I really do like in person but know I don't need to own one- at least any time soon. They just have traits I do NOT want to deal with. I like pits, for example, but no way want to deal with dog aggression at ALL. So I would never get a pit because that trait is one I wouldn't ever want to deal with.

On the other hand there's some other breeds that are a good fit on paper but I just don't like them much in real life- tollers are an example and they get recommended to me a lot. But I just don't have any attraction to the breed and know I'd 100% like a herder better.

Luckily some of the herding breeds do fit pretty well with what I want.

So I guess I'd try to figure out what the deal breakers are for you. I do think connection to a breed plays a role.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:39 AM
such sights to show you

I think sometimes we aren't very good at knowing what we like, if that makes sense. Sometimes your gut is as smart as your head, and if you're flexible then the edges get a little fuzzy anyway - Squash turned out to have one of the traits I thought was an absolute deal-breaker for me (busy busy in the house) that actually didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Big Dog

As someone whose gotten a dog that was totally wrong on paper for me, I'd say if you are willing to make some compromises and are able to meet the dogs needs, go for it. I always loved lazy, easy, do anything just to please you types. Then I got my cur mix ftom a shelter. The connection was immediate. She was horrid the first 4 months, but I stuck with it. She didn't care what I wanted her to do, unless it was also something she wanted. She was 100% energy from 5am till around 9 at night. There was definitely an adjustment period. I had to figure out how to motivate her to do things I wanted, even when squirrels (which she loved to tree more then anything in the whole world) were running around. Our bond became very very strong because of it. So, I'm going to say if you think its doable, then give it a try. Granted, its safe to say I got really lucky with my cur, but she opened me up to a whole new world of dogs I never thought I'd be interested in.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:49 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Sometimes you can find the dog that doesn't fallow the breed. For example everything that fit me so well about Emma was not typical beagle. She was perfect for me but the breed really isn't.

If you can find the right individual in the breed then you can have a bit more flexibility

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
orange iguanas.

If I were to get a dog that had all the characteristics I "want".... I probably wouldn't like any of the breeds listed.

On paper, boxers are a horrible match for me. If I were to list out what I ideally want in a dog, pretty sure nobody would ever suggest a boxer. But I freaking adore the breed and will always always always have one.

I'm lazy and don't like exercising, I want a super biddable, almost blindly obedient dog, and I prefer a serious personality over goofy. I have no idea what breeds fit this criteria but I can tell you that none of the breeds I'm interested in do LOL. I am willing to adapt to most things. Probably why the group of dogs I currently have is a random assortment of misfits.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013